sf1964

If you had a choice-starting from scratch how would you do i

l recently had a fire in which my whole bar got gutted to the beam and so we have to start from scratch ie.new cameras,wiring,electricity,dvr/nvr,etc etc.

l have a chance to wire my whole bar from scratch,what type of wiring would you use knowing l am installing new cameras,maybe mega pixel cameras in the future,but analogue for now.

l was using a icrealtime pro dvr previously that actually caught the cause and start of the fire,much to the surprise of the investigator.l havent decided if l want to go with a pc based system or a dvr like previous.l am looking for simplicity of search and quality of recorded video.Looking to spend upto $5k for 10 cameras and a recorder/dvr .

Ideas would be great.

I would run CAT5/6 now. You can still use analog cameras with baluns if you wish. If properly laid out, you would just add PoE switch(es) to convert to IP later.

For wiring, pretty much a no-brainer these days, use Cat5e - you can run analog over it using baluns, and easily upgrade to IP for megapixel later. You might want to run power along with it, "just in case" - if you do go IP later, you'll need it, unless you get PoE injectors or a PoE switch as well. Cost-wise, it's a tossup: adding PoE later will add some cost, but running the extra wire will be an extra cost now.

DVR-wise, keep in mind you'll want something that supports IP, if you plan to go that way in the future. Megapixel cameras eat a lot more disk space, so you want something with a lot of room to expand. PC-based generally makes both software and hardware upgrades easier

Why do you not like baluns?

most are crappy quality = crappy video quality = unhappy customer.

So don't use crappy baluns - use good ones.

What a ridiculous argument. You could say the same thing for cameras, DVRs, or even salesmen: most are crappy quality, so just don't use any of them at all.

So don't use crappy baluns - use good ones.

What a ridiculous argument. You could say the same thing for cameras, DVRs, or even salesmen: most are crappy quality, so just don't use any of them at all.

Sorry but I havent seen any "decent" ones yet, so I cant suggest otherwise. What I have seen is alof of people using baluns that dont know the diff between good quality and bad quality.

Just run siamese RG59, thats the cable for CCTV cameras, you argument with me is what is really ridiculous. I mean its not like they have mile long runs, and its a small job going by the budget. But they can run whatever cable they like as far as Im concerned.

Edited by Guest

Rory,

We use a number of different brands and have a/b compared picture quality to RG59 favorably. I don't know what kind of crap baluns (or maybe the CAT5?) you have used but we are quite happy. And I do know the difference!

l was using a icrealtime pro dvr previously that actually caught the cause and start of the fire,much to the surprise of the investigator.l havent decided if l want to go with a pc based system or a dvr like previous.l am looking for simplicity of search and quality of recorded video.Looking to spend upto $5k for 10 cameras and a recorder/dvr .

Ideas would be great.

$5k is a pretty decent budget so finding a system which will work shouldn't be a problem. Are you planning to go with any cameras outside or just inside?

l just need 2 cameras for outside one underneath an awning aprox 12ft high looking down towards the line/doorway approx 5ft-6ft away and the other in a alleyway(not covered) with a medium amount of light with the light behind the camera needs to view an area 3ft wide to 20ft length general area-any suggestions??Would the choices l looked at be ok,what lens should l be looking at?

Even NVT