RedHot-30

Experience with IP server

Has anyone had any experience with the Aviosys - IP Video - 9100A, IP digital web server.

Being new to the IP side of things, I have a personal need to be able to use this unit, without an on site computer, to monitor the comings and goings at my mothers apartment. Trying to confirm her stories of "workers, entering her apartment", (dementia, alzheimers situation).

I have a cable modem there already. My understanding is that I should be able to hook this unit up, and with a camera, monitor the traffic at her place (just the front door entry/exit only).

Can anyone coment on this unit. I really need the clarity on this unit.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Andy

This gizmo that mention, it appears to be made to allow you to use an old CCTV camera and give you the functionality of an IP camera. So I'm not sure how to answer you, a) do you already have cctv cameras and you want to plug them into this box so you can access them from the internet, b) you don't understand what an IP camera is.

I have zero experience with CCTV cameras, so can't help you there.

If you are not sure about how IP cameras work. They are basically a computer with an embeded web server inside a camera. They come in all sizes and prices, from $90 cameras from China, to $2,500+ cameras. For the most part, you don't need any PC for them to run. For example, I have a Foscam pan/tilt camera that cost about $90 shipped that is at my cabin, does not have any computer attached to it. It connects to the internet through WiFi. When motion is detected, it sends me an email that I can view on my Blackberry or at home on my PC. I can connect remotely to look at the live feed from any PC or Mac (supposed to work on cell phones, but doesn't on my Blackberry). It has built in IR illuminators that work well at night, even total darkness. For long term storage of video events, you can buy a good network attached storage (NAS) that has FTP, NFS and CIF access, meaning it will write the videos using one of these methods. I use a WD World Edition 1TB that works well for me, runs about $169 and 1TB of disk will hold a lot of video. The NAS need not physically be in the same area as the cameras, it can be Sweden, your cameras in Australia, you in the U.S..

I don't know what "the clarity of this unit" means as the unit you mention is not a camera, it's just device that allows you to connect a CCTV camera to it and view it on the internet. Clarity comes with the quality of the camera and it's sensor and lens and resolution, so the next question is, what is your budget?

Thanks for the reply. What I mean by "clarity" is not the picture quality, but just wanted to understand how this unit worked.

I need to be able to hook this unit up to the cable modem, (with a router I suspect), then be able to hook up a camera to it so that I can check on the situation at my mothers apartment. Wanted to be sure that I could do this WITHOUT a computer at that location.

As I understand it, i will need a router to hook up to the cable modem, then this unit goes into the router. (Feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong if need be)

Thank you

Andy

Has anyone had any experience with the Aviosys - IP Video - 9100A, IP digital web server.

Being new to the IP side of things, I have a personal need to be able to use this unit, without an on site computer, to monitor the comings and goings at my mothers apartment. Trying to confirm her stories of "workers, entering her apartment", (dementia, alzheimers situation).

I have a cable modem there already. My understanding is that I should be able to hook this unit up, and with a camera, monitor the traffic at her place (just the front door entry/exit only).

Can anyone coment on this unit. I really need the clarity on this unit.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Andy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+hook+up+ip+camera

Cable modems come in all sorts of varieties, some are just cable modems, some include routers. Call your cable support number and see if the model you have is just a modem. If it is just a modem, just get any cheapie router. I just got a Netgear at Staples for $39 for my kid to put on a cable modem and it works fine and even self configured itself.

If you are not sure how to setup a router for external access, you may benefit from buying a camera that auto configures itself and you don't have to stress about it. I'm not recomending it as a camera as I do not have either one, but here's 2 IP cameras that self configure the network, no messy port forwarding router configuration and static IP addressing, literally plug and play -

Mole - http://www.molecamera.com/

Gotcha - http://www.gotchacam.biz/