missmimi

What type of cable for PTZ Cameras?

Hi everyone,

What type of cable should be use for PTZ cameras? Can we use RG59?

Thanks!

RG59 is fine with power. but you will also need data. so also use cat5. alongside your RG59. or you can use composite cable.

http://product-image.tradeindia.com/00311787/b/0/CCTV-Cable-.jpg

Thanks tomcctv! The link shows composite cable? What is a composite cable? Sorry, I'm still a newbie in this industry...

I just use one of the twisted pairs from a length of cat5 to carry the RS-485 data. Regular alarm wire will also work... you just need 2 conductors.

Edit to add:

I've only used alarm wire for shorter distances... don't know if it would work for a very long run.

For RS422/485 data I've used CAT5, 22/2, 22/2 shielded, even 18/2 on occasion. RS422/485 is very forgiving, even for runs up to hundreds of feet.

For RS422/485 data I've used CAT5, 22/2, 22/2 shielded, even 18/2 on occasion. RS422/485 is very forgiving, even for runs up to hundreds of feet.

Agreed - I even have a PTZ on one site, running a *mix* of 18/2, RG6, RG59, and Cat5e for video and control, works just dandy.

Can i used RG6 cable in PTZ Camera as data instead of Cat5 cable?
I wouldn't. Control cable needs to be "balanced", which means a twisted-pair; coax is unbalanced, which means a center conductor and a shield (ground). You can use RG6 for the video, but not the control.

Can i used RG6 cable in PTZ Camera as data instead of Cat5 cable?
I wouldn't. Control cable needs to be "balanced", which means a twisted-pair; coax is unbalanced, which means a center conductor and a shield (ground). You can use RG6 for the video, but not the control.

Signal wire doesn't necessarily have to be twisted-pair. I've used station wire, speaker wire, and on my test PTZ at home, I'm using two standard DB9 serial cables strung together, neither of which use twisted pairs. UTP will help avoid interference issues over longer runs or in EMI-noisy environments, but it's certainly not REQUIRED.

If anything, the only reason coax would be a bad choice is if the internal capacitance hampers the signal, but seeing as 10Mbit ethernet used to commonly run over coax, and considering the actual bandwidth of video signals, I don't think you'd really see a problem there. There's no TECHNICAL reason RG6 shouldn't work for this.

Yes, 10m ethernet used to be run on coax (10base2 / 10base5) but the NICs were designed for unbalanced cable and distances were extremely limited; especially 10base2. Everything else you mentioned is balanced (station wire, speaker wire, DB9 serial cables, et al). Twisted or not, it is still two separate, non-coaxial conductors.

For all I care, you could use BX, but it is not recommended for very long runs. Coax, aside from capacitance issues, also is the wrong impedance and would probably introduce standing wave reflections into the signal to boot..

By the way, UTP is not required - STP works as well, and in noisy situations, even better. You just have to remember to only connect the ground at the head end.

Anyone tried using baluns with 422/485 data on coax? Seems like it could work, as mentioned, RS422 IS pretty forgiving of what you stuff it down.

I had one installation where I had two coax cables for a data pair, using just the center conductor on each for the data +and-, and grounded the shields, it worked about 500' out.

I'm old school. I just use RG59 Siamese with an extra set of 18/2 power wires for transmission. Works great if you only have 1 PTZ in your system.

By the way, most of the comments regarding the forgiving nature of PTZ control signal transport refer to RS422/485 signals. If the PTZ uses RS232, all bets are off!

I'm not sure why you'd need to use a balun in relation to the RS485 control wire. It's the video signal that has an issue and needs a pair of baluns.

A neat way to deal with PTZ cameras is using Cat 5: 1 pair for video using baluns. 1 pair for RS485 control wire. 2 pairs combined for 12 volt power feed using screw in DC plugs / sockets.

Obviously the caveat is that you will be limited in cable run length by voltage drop along the power wires and actual length will be determined by the camera's current draw . A alternative is to power the camera locally and then you will be able to use cat 5 for video / RS 485 up to 300 metres using passive baluns and longer using active baluns should you need to. A nice neat 1 wire solution.

Henry

A neat way to deal with PTZ cameras is using Cat 5: 1 pair for video using baluns. 1 pair for RS485 control wire. 2 pairs combined for 12 volt power feed using screw in DC plugs / sockets.

Obviously the caveat is that you will be limited in cable run length by voltage drop along the power wires and actual length will be determined by the camera's current draw . A alternative is to power the camera locally and then you will be able to use cat 5 for video / RS 485 up to 300 metres using passive baluns and longer using active baluns should you need to. A nice neat 1 wire solution.

Henry

You can also avoid cheap consumer cameras and use "professional" ones that will run on 24VAC - half the current draw of 12V, and less loss.

OR you could run 24VAC over the Cat5, and then put a voltage regulator board at the camera end to provide your regulated 12VDC.

I used this cable for my 24Vac PTZ cams.......Works a treat although the supplier advised you should not have cable lengths longer than 70 metres due to Vdrop. Really heavy duty stuff and very tidy looking indeed....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-PTZ-Cable-Signal-Data-Power-all-one-PRO-/360331061662?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item53e567a99e

Rgds

Chris

Hi Chris. £35 for 20m that is just not cost effective at all. 100m would cost you £175 (around $315) you would save a lot of money installing a good RG59 siamese and a good cat5 on your installs

This post is interesting because I have been planning the installation of my first PTZ camera at home.

I already decided to use RG 59 for the video transmission ( I paid a lot for the camera I'm not chancing a poor picture).

I used to install mobile radio for police and security and still have my crimping too for the BNC's

You've all mentioned running a cat5 cable with the RG59 to satisfy both RS485 and DC power, but would the same work with 24V AC power?

I haven't to make any long distance runs s ( only about 15m)

I have considered RG59 composite and running a bell-wire alongside for the RS485, I just can,t make up my mind which is the safest and most desirable option.

The dedicated PTZ cable with RG59, data and power run together is an option I looked at but it's just too expensive.

Anyone that wants this cable in the UK it's available here

W413w-1.jpg

You've all mentioned running a cat5 cable with the RG59 to satisfy both RS485 and DC power, but would the same work with 24V AC power?

Better, actually, because the camera will require half the current at 24VAC as it would at 12VDC, and the voltage drop will be less.

That said, for a short run and smaller PTZs you're probably fine, but with larger PTZs that have higher power requirements, two pairs of 24ga. may not be large enough. Best check the power rating of the camera to determine if a larger power run will be needed, but Cat5e is fine for video and control together.

Better, actually, because the camera will require half the current at 24VAC as it would at 12VDC, and the voltage drop will be less.

That said, for a short run and smaller PTZs you're probably fine, but with larger PTZs that have higher power requirements, two pairs of 24ga. may not be large enough. Best check the power rating of the camera to determine if a larger power run will be needed, but Cat5e is fine for video and control together.

Good point, about the current required I hadn't thought about that. I have never worked with low voltage AC current before, but the current rating at 24vac is about that of a typical CCTV camera about 500ma @ 24v With this particular PTZ I dont have the choice between 12v and 24V but i have decided to go with running one RG59 alongside a cat5 exterior grade.

I used this cable for my 24Vac PTZ cams.......Works a treat although the supplier advised you should not have cable lengths longer than 70 metres due to Vdrop. Really heavy duty stuff and very tidy looking indeed....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-PTZ-Cable-Signal-Data-Power-all-one-PRO-/360331061662?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item53e567a99e

Rgds

Chris

Who could afford 70 meters?

Good point, about the current required I hadn't thought about that. I have never worked with low voltage AC current before, but the current rating at 24vac is about that of a typical CCTV camera about 500ma @ 24v With this particular PTZ I dont have the choice between 12v and 24V but i have decided to go with running one RG59 alongside a cat5 exterior grade.

500mA@24VAC isn't bad - works out to about 12VA. Two pairs would probably be lots. If you're running separate coax, you could even use three pairs for the power.

I used a $6 Video/Audio/Power Balun on CAT5e for my PTZ which is 24v. I went to an electronics shop and got some RCA socket connectors ($1 each or less) and connected a short length of electric cable (about 3 inches or about 70mm) to the +/- on the DVR's RS232 (RS485 would also work) and the other end to the RCA socket being sure to keep in mind the +/- was connected to on the socket. I then connected the Audio RCA connector on the balun into that socket coming out of the DVR. Then on the PTZ, I connected it's RS232 cables +/- in the same location on another RCA socket as was done with the DVR before. I then simply plugged in the balun's audio connector in and, voila! Done! Very clean solution to do power/ptz/video on the one cable and one set of baluns without loss. Was about 30 meter cat5e run.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Coax-CCTV-Video-Audio-Power-Balun-Transceiver-Cable-/270821399640?pt=AU_Security_Equipment&hash=item3f0e369c58

I used the same baluns for all 7 of my cameras, two of which are PTZ the rest are fixed. I use Geovision on a PC as my DVR and the RS232 are the GV-NET IO card.