missmimi

What type of cable for PTZ Cameras?

I haven't tried them on PTZ myself yet but there are PTZ baluns available that will run Video, power and data down a single Cat5 although J would be inclined to use Cat6 instead for longer runs. In the UK they cost around £15 per pair and I have only used them with Cat5 for static cameras that have RS485 on screen menu, with no problems.

I imagine they would work just as well for PTZ speed domes, but like I said, I would use Cat6 just for the sake of integrity.

My current method is siamese cable with a cat5 control cable, mainly because that is what I am told I must use by my customers. They like the fact that the camera has three spare pairs.

I have also recently seen a Cat5 with a twin power attached. Intersting!

I haven't tried them on PTZ myself yet but there are PTZ baluns available that will run Video, power and data down a single Cat5 although J would be inclined to use Cat6 instead for longer runs. In the UK they cost around £15 per pair and I have only used them with Cat5 for static cameras that have RS485 on screen menu, with no problems.

I imagine they would work just as well for PTZ speed domes, but like I said, I would use Cat6 just for the sake of integrity.

Just for the record, these baluns don't do anything special to the power and data wires, except "adapt" the RJ45 plugs out to wire tails. You can get the same thing by just splitting the wires out and using basic screw- or punch-terminal baluns on the video pairs.

My standard wiring for Cat5 has been blue pair for video, orange and green for power, and brown pulled aside for a "spare" - it could just as easily be used for data on a camera that supports it.

Just for the record, these baluns don't do anything special to the power and data wires, except "adapt" the RJ45 plugs out to wire tails. You can get the same thing by just splitting the wires out and using basic screw- or punch-terminal baluns on the video pairs.

I'm such a sucker for consumerism

and presumably there is nothing to stop us using CAT6 for better conductivity.

I know that lots of people don't like using Cat5 or 6 in screw-down terminals as it can be quite brittle and can be a little 'hit and miss' if the cable is moved, my answer to this is to apply chord end ferrule crimps to the conductors before they enter the screw-down terminals. Ferrules give the connections real integrity. Cat5 & 6 were designed for punch-down connection and aren't best suited for screw-down terminals. I use ferrule ends all over the place and they just seem to lend intergrity to all screw down connections.

I first noticed that many of the PTZ camera manufacturers used ferrule ends in their wiring on their stranded connectors. Some trimming of the ferrule ends is usually necessary I find to make them seat correctly.

167834_1.jpg

and presumably there is nothing to stop us using CAT6 for better conductivity.

Why would Cat6 have better conductivity? Is it made with SuperCopper or some special alloy not used in Cat5e?

I know that lots of people don't like using Cat5 or 6 in screw-down terminals as it can be quite brittle and can be a little 'hit and miss' if the cable is moved, my answer to this is to apply chord end ferrule crimps to the conductors before they enter the screw-down terminals.

I just fold the stripped end back along the insulated wire and insert that whole bit into the terminal - the insulation provides extra strain relief.

cat5e has 4 pairs of 24 AWG cables all inside the same jacket.

cat6 has 4 pairs of 24 AWG cables all inside the same jacket, BUT, each pair is separated by a divider to reduce interference.

only difference between the two is cat6 is better insulated to reduce cross talk so it has higher bandwidth (makes it certified for gigabit transfer speeds, whereas cat5e is certified for 100mbit). As far as cameras, power, ptz data, and wiring is concerned, they're identical.

Now the caveat is cat6 specification allows for 22-24awg wire to be used, so if you purposely buy 22awg cat6 then it could make a difference. 24awg is the most common from what I've seen though and it's what I'd bank on using or finding in the field. I definitely wouldn't recommend going out of my way and probably paying more for 22awg or 23awg (it exists) cat6.

cat5e has 4 pairs of 24 AWG cables all inside the same jacket.

cat6 has 4 pairs of 24 AWG cables all inside the same jacket, BUT, each pair is separated by a divider to reduce interference.

only difference between the two is cat6 is better insulated to reduce cross talk so it has higher bandwidth (makes it certified for gigabit transfer speeds, whereas cat5e is certified for 100mbit). As far as cameras, power, ptz data, and wiring is concerned, they're identical.

Now the caveat is cat6 specification allows for 22-24awg wire to be used, so if you purposely buy 22awg cat6 then it could make a difference. 24awg is the most common from what I've seen though and it's what I'd bank on using or finding in the field. I definitely wouldn't recommend going out of my way and probably paying more for 22awg or 23awg (it exists) cat6.

Thanks for explaining that. I knew that Cat6 was rated for higher data rates but I thought ii was only because it used a stouter copper conductor and not realized about the extra separation wrapping. I will now know to look out for that when I next need to order Cat6. thanks again, this is very useful info.