dvrnoobie

The best DVR

This information seems harder to find that it should be... but what is the best DVR out there?

I have an existing system (with regular, non IP cameras) and I want to upgrade my DVR so that I can do the following things:

1) View them through the existing cable system (i.e. it has a regular cable output)

2) View them online (either through the local network, Internet, or both)

3) View them on mobile phones (3G phones that might support that kind of thing)

4) Possibly have a remote control for CCTV viewing (i.e. be able to freeze on a specific camera in the rotation, change views, etc)

I'd also like the best possible playback, etc.

Thanks for any help.

There are few options for DVR's. If you are looking for a DVR that has all the bells and whistles then a PC based system would be the best option as they are compatible with both IP & Analog cameras and the software manufacturers are always updating and coming out with new features. However PC Based systems that are running Windows as the OS are known to have more issues than systems running linux.

Now Standalone DVR's are striclty for analog cameras only. These systems are much more stable since they are running an Embedded Linux as the OS however they are limited to what features are availabe. Standalone systems are less expensive than PC-Based systems.

It really depends are where your budget falls and what type of features and cameras you are wanting to use.

If you are wanting basic features such as Remote monitoring via internet, email notifications, motion/time-lapse recording and overall just simplicity you may want a standalone DVR. However if you are wanting to use IP cameras in the future PC-Based would be better recommmended.

Thanks. I am probably going to get a standalone system. I was just hoping for a name brand that someone could recommend as being "top of the line". I seem to read bad things about manufacturers, or I look at their instruction booklet and it looks like it was poorly translated from a different language.

This information seems harder to find that it should be... but what is the best DVR out there?

I have an existing system (with regular, non IP cameras) and I want to upgrade my DVR so that I can do the following things:

1) View them through the existing cable system (i.e. it has a regular cable output)

2) View them online (either through the local network, Internet, or both)

3) View them on mobile phones (3G phones that might support that kind of thing)

4) Possibly have a remote control for CCTV viewing (i.e. be able to freeze on a specific camera in the rotation, change views, etc)

I'd also like the best possible playback, etc.

Thanks for any help.

How many channels and what is your budget?

I currently have 9 cameras, but I would probably get a 16 camera system because I want to add a couple more.

No fixed budget, I guess under $2,500.

Actually, there is no one answer to that question. How do you define "best"? Best for what? Best to whom? No single machine does everything. Only you can determine which is best FOR YOU.

You mean, like in cable TV? I've never ever seen one that has that capability built-in. Main reason is probably because there's far too much variation in what's needed to integrate it, it would be cost-prohibitive, if not outright impossible, to build in the capability to work with ANY cable system.

Actually, there is no one answer to that question. How do you define "best"? Best for what? Best to whom? No single machine does everything. Only you can determine which is best FOR YOU.

You mean, like in cable TV? I've never ever seen one that has that capability built-in. Main reason is probably because there's far too much variation in what's needed to integrate it, it would be cost-prohibitive, if not outright impossible, to build in the capability to work with ANY cable system.

what phone type? many claim 3gp mobile phone viewing but many phones do not support it or don't support the method the use.