Security561

recording extraction

Hello Everyone

New to the forum and was looking for some advise, I have this client that i did an 8 camera job for a 2nd store he just opened, they break into the other store where there is a system that was install like 3 to 4 years ago,pretty ****ty if you ask me. Anyway im trying to backup just 1 hour when the insidenct happen but the DVR only has a CDRW not DVDRW(which i tryed and it didnt work) and the cd gets fill with only 6 minutes of the 8 cams, and cant do cams individual,i could transfer to usb, but it will delete the original file so dont want to risk it, i removed the hdd and replace it with another just to make sure it woulnt get deleted, its there any software that would let me explore the hdd and transfer the recording manually to my PC?

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Thank you

It might be possible to replace the CDRW drive with a DVD writer.... but that would largely depend on how the DVR supports it. It's really had to tell anything else without at least a make and model of the DVR.

It would depend largey on the make and model of the device - for example if it is a Linux derivative then it would need certain drivers for the CD or DVD to operate - if it is a Standalone device (non pc) then it would be very unlikely that you would succeed in upgrading unless there was some kind of firmware or software upgrade - you may find that if there is a "player" program and if windows can see the files on that drive that you may be able to open the files - if the device has network ability then perhaps you could see if that network client will allow you to back up - lastly if all else fails you could set up a cam corder in front of the screen and play the files while recording the video

Thanks alot for the fast response,im going to try to see if i could do it over the network.

Again, Thank you all for your help and advise. " title="Applause" />

Hello, you could (if the dvr accepts it) hook a external USB DVD burner to the usb port and burn it off that way. i know that several DVR's that I have owned had that capability. Or what I would do since you already have the drive out is use a drive imager to copy the entire drive to another drive, then use the copy to put back into the dvr to try export everything through the USB port. Here is a good free one that I use all the time http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm They also make excellent hard disk recovery software for an affordable price. Hope that helps.

Just to let you guys know, i was able to extracted via network. But what a pain, ive never seen a dvr so inferior in the sense of user freindlyness, i did learn something though the same client was asking me for an installation qoute on a system he was going to buy, and i turn him down told him ill give him a quote on installation and the the systems that i sell out of my store(Eclipse). Some systems i believe are half ass and if i do the installation ill have to deal with the headaches of an inferior system later on.

Anyway Thank you all for the help and support you giving me,maybe ill be able to return the favor someday.

Just to let you guys know, i was able to extracted via network. But what a pain, ive never seen a dvr so inferior in the sense of user freindlyness, i did learn something though the same client was asking me for an installation qoute on a system he was going to buy, and i turn him down told him ill give him a quote on installation and the the systems that i sell out of my store(Eclipse). Some systems i believe are half ass and if i do the installation ill have to deal with the headaches of an inferior system later on.

Anyway Thank you all for the help and support you giving me,maybe ill be able to return the favor someday.

And this, kids, is why a $1000 DVR is better than a $100 DVR... Sometimes you gotta look BEYOND the specs and numbers!