brightspark

fault on GE STORESAFE PRO11

Hi everyone ,can any one help me with this fault ? dvr when you plug in the psu lead the fault comes up (no hard drive found ) then if you unplug it and re plug it back it works ok,but if you unplug and leave for about 20sec ish it stays again(no hard drive found) i have replaced the hard drive 2x 350 hard drive but still the same fault?

so can any help many thanks

peter

Do you have anything heavy resting on top of the DVR? I have had that cause the problem you describe. Also, if you can open the DVR, there is usually a tie-wrap around the IDE cable (flat wide data cable) that is connected to the hard drives. I've seen that tie-wrap too tight, which caused the cable to pull out from the drives.

Not sure on the Storesafe pro but the standard ones were only suppose to handle 2x5400 rpm drives. One 7200rpm should work though and the new HDDs are less current now anyway. But the PSU was apparently the issue and there were upgrade kits. Though I am not sure how old yours is. Could just be a bad HDD. Seems like it is pointing towards a power issue though.

I've seen this problem.. on an older models.. If my recollection is correct, the older power supplies were rated 5A and later when GE realized that it is not providing enough juice for higher capacity hard drives, they introduced the 7.5A version.

The way we confirmed that there is a problem is when we took two 500GB 7200 RPM drives to convert standard 160G or 320G system to 1.0TB level without changing the bios configuration... the system started showing too many lock ups and restarts and even not recognizing the drives. As soon as replaced the power supply to the 7.5A version, it took care of the problem...

Each time we work with a similar system, we automatically change the power supply... It just not worth to take any chances going forward.

Here is what I am referring to: [link removed]

Another suggestion is to contact GE and obtain the latest available firmware for your unit. It is available on their website, but I think you need to create an account to have access... If nothing else, call GE technical support and they are very good in providing support.

thanks for your help the unit this about 4years old ,i will change the power supply(psu) and load up the lastest firmwire many thanks to all and i will keep you informed