What are you guys using - we use an excell sheet with a cable schedule and relate this to Dymo lables on the back of standard BNC's

I am not a fan of this at all and have looked at

1/ Zip Tie Lables - too ugly

2/ Laser enscribing on the cable itself - too expensive

3/ BNc Boots that can be written on - too fiddly

What is everyone using I want to put a full camera name - not just a number system

Iteresting though that they say will only work on some Thin Jacketed RG59 cable and would be annoying having to swap cartridge all the time....IE Mark Camera 1's RG59 then change to small Guage for Figure 8 Input 1.

Other point is that my standard Dymo labeller costs $20 per site - the rybon is hugely expensive

Quick AND fast, you say??

The Rhino systems are nice if you do lots of labeling, because they have so many options for label types, sizes, colors, etc., and every now and then you can find a good deal on them - I don't know if it's a factory promotion or just one by our supplier (ADI/Burtek) but every year or so they have a deal where you buy 10 rolls of labels ($10-$13 each) and they throw in the label machine for free... essentially making the whole package half-price. I have yet to justify this to the boss, unfortunately, but it's pretty darn tempting to shell out for myself. Then again, I have a little $30 Brother labeller that I've been using for about four years now and I'm still on the original roll of label tape... that's how much I actually need to use the thing.

poor mans way.....white insulation tape. not wrapped around cable but just folded in half. give a big aera to write on.

poor mans way.....white insulation tape. not wrapped around cable but just folded in half. give a big aera to write on.

nah man .. poor mans way is a marker on the cable just before the BNC!

nah man .. poor mans way is a marker on the cable just before the BNC!

yeah and you need a lens to see it !

mind you on building sites i never bothered to label the wires. most of the time the wires got painted or the labels cut off.

yeah and you need a lens to see it !

mind you on building sites i never bothered to label the wires. most of the time the wires got painted or the labels cut off.

nah man worst thing happens is the ink runs and you loose the label

Oh man... was it in here, or on a.s.a a few years back... I think the latter... someone was telling the story of how he pre-wired an entire townhouse complex... left all the wires hanging out of a box where the comms closet was supposed to be in each unit, all nicely labeled, all with plenty of extra length... came back the next week to find the drywallers had chopped them all off flush with the wall and boarded right over them.... oh yeah, and then handed him all the nicely labeled and coiled chopped-off ends.

If memory serves, that turned out to be a very expensive contract for the drywallers...

had a bit of that, not quite that bad.

punch a hole in the wall where you thought the box was.....nope wrong place....try again

You can get a book of wire numbers from Home Depot or any electrical supply business for around $7.00. Just peel off the number and wrap it around the wire.

Ed

I have some numbers that have been on wires for many years and show no sign of coming off.

Not sure what kind you bought that only last 15 minutes.

I know this is an older thread, but here's what I have done in the past.

I've used regular inkjet labels, printed them out (cut and trimmed if required) and stuck to the end of the wire.

I then use clear heat shrink tubing over it, and voila - those labels aren't going anywhere.

I use a vibration marking tool. I mark the crimped area on the connector. Never lets me down.