Hi, the company i work for has just got a new engineering manager and has not got us onto useing mobotix cameras, i'm pritty new to the CCTV game and was wondering are these cams any good???

Very good, the largest manufacturer of mega pixel cameras in the world. They have many unique features, for example the ability to write directly to NAS, low power consumption, sharpest picture I've seen from an IP cam, excellent night vision on their b&w sensors and pretty good support.

Very good, the largest manufacturer of mega pixel cameras in the world. They have many unique features, for example the ability to write directly to NAS, low power consumption, sharpest picture I've seen from an IP cam, excellent night vision on their b&w sensors and pretty good support.

You just forgot to mention they also have highest price in the world(just before Avigilon)

You just forgot to mention they also have highest price in the world(just before Avigilon)

Not if you look at the total system cost

Not if you look at the total system cost

For example?

Hi, the company i work for has just got a new engineering manager and has not got us onto useing mobotix cameras, i'm pritty new to the CCTV game and was wondering are these cams any good???

He has "not" got you onto using the mobotix cameras?

My projects are outdoors, so I have to assume the total cost of the cameras. So take a simple 3.1 MP Mobotix M22, single lens, about $900, seems high? Compare that to the low end like Arecont, around $700 for the AV3100. So you think you are saving $200, think again.

The Mobotix comes with a lens, comes ready in a wateproof exterior enclosure good to -30C and software. Arecont, lens is about $80 more, waterproof enclosure is about $200 more, software is about $100. Not to mention that Arecont requires a PC to capture video's, Mobotix can write directly to a NAS. Mobotix uses 3W of power, a Arecont in a heated ventilated outdoor enclosure will use about 10 times more. What's the cost of running a PC all day to capture and log events?

Now I like to use Mobotix M12, dual lens, about $1,600, Arecont dual lense is cheaper again at about $950, but now you need 2 lenses, housing and software, maybe you save a few bucks, but just try and get Arecont to help you.

Sure, if you really want to save money, you can get a Chinese 3 MP camera for about $400 but you get what you pay for.

I dont want to start "Flame wars" - but that kind of comment really annoys me - I hate the comparison made by almost all IP MP manufactorers that a single IP MP cam can replace many...thats PURE RUBBISH.

For example - lets even use a simple example - where MP is supposed to be better.....and lets explode the myths.

Imagine I have a warehouse with a south entry door and a north exit door (or a huge open area) the theory goes that because the area is large or open that I can use 1 x MP camera instead of 2 x Analogue.

However if I mount the MP camera above the south door entry and point towards the north exit door to cover the entire area then if a person walks from south to north, i geta lovely high res shot of the back of their head - why because I removed a camera and used 1 where i should have used 2.

Next -

The colour of most warehouses is well....asphalt and non reflective - IP cameras as a rule do not handle low scene reflectance where minimal light is bounced to the camera so this means that in darker parts of the day or when lights are off the IP camera is not as light sensitive.

Next -

The north door is a roller door where deliveries come through and in the afternoon the sun shines in this doorway - well IP cameras as a rule generally do not have as wide a dynamic range as analogue cameras can have and therefore it is not going to handle the light difference as well.

Next -

During the day deliveries come in the North Doorway - but they usually happen around the same time as the sun is affecting the doorway in the aftternoon, I can see the delivery but can not tell who delivered the goods because their face is veiled in shade due to BLC not being as good as an analogue camera.

Look I am being petty but also factual - god damn sick to death of all the spruting that happens from IP mobs......Aricont is amazing gear and has its purposes - so does Mobotix but soooooooooo sick of the sales hype.

You should also mention that Aricont can do a massive resolution, hence why their lens may be more expensive..I have seen a demo in an airport where we could read the time of departure on message boards ages away in the picture, however out of the 500 people it took a picture of, 40% were facing the other way, so is 1 x camera and 1 x angle really a solution - I think not.

I have used the strongest example available to IP MP cams - not the weakest, Imagine a grocery store with 15 aisles, whats the point of an IP MP camera then - after all if I put them on one side of an aisle they cant see the other side can they - so in reality 1 x camera per aisle is still needed.

Dont get sucked into the hype lads!!!!

My projects are outdoors, so I have to assume the total cost of the cameras. So take a simple 3.1 MP Mobotix M22, single lens, about $900, seems high? Compare that to the low end like Arecont, around $700 for the AV3100. So you think you are saving $200, think again.

The Mobotix comes with a lens, comes ready in a wateproof exterior enclosure good to -30C and software. Arecont, lens is about $80 more, waterproof enclosure is about $200 more, software is about $100. Not to mention that Arecont requires a PC to capture video's, Mobotix can write directly to a NAS. Mobotix uses 3W of power, a Arecont in a heated ventilated outdoor enclosure will use about 10 times more. What's the cost of running a PC all day to capture and log events?

Now I like to use Mobotix M12, dual lens, about $1,600, Arecont dual lense is cheaper again at about $950, but now you need 2 lenses, housing and software, maybe you save a few bucks, but just try and get Arecont to help you.

Sure, if you really want to save money, you can get a Chinese 3 MP camera for about $400 but you get what you pay for.

And that is using cheap NVR software. Try that using Milestone or OnSSI and you will pay almost the cost of the camera for software alone.

I dont want to start "Flame wars" - but that kind of comment really annoys me - I hate the comparison made by almost all IP MP manufactorers that a single IP MP cam can replace many...thats PURE RUBBISH.

For example - lets even use a simple example - where MP is supposed to be better.....and lets explode the myths.

Imagine I have a warehouse with a south entry door and a north exit door (or a huge open area) the theory goes that because the area is large or open that I can use 1 x MP camera instead of 2 x Analogue.

However if I mount the MP camera above the south door entry and point towards the north exit door to cover the entire area then if a person walks from south to north, i geta lovely high res shot of the back of their head - why because I removed a camera and used 1 where i should have used 2.

Next -

The colour of most warehouses is well....asphalt and non reflective - IP cameras as a rule do not handle low scene reflectance where minimal light is bounced to the camera so this means that in darker parts of the day or when lights are off the IP camera is not as light sensitive.

Next -

The north door is a roller door where deliveries come through and in the afternoon the sun shines in this doorway - well IP cameras as a rule generally do not have as wide a dynamic range as analogue cameras can have and therefore it is not going to handle the light difference as well.

Next -

During the day deliveries come in the North Doorway - but they usually happen around the same time as the sun is affecting the doorway in the aftternoon, I can see the delivery but can not tell who delivered the goods because their face is veiled in shade due to BLC not being as good as an analogue camera.

Look I am being petty but also factual - god damn sick to death of all the spruting that happens from IP mobs......Aricont is amazing gear and has its purposes - so does Mobotix but soooooooooo sick of the sales hype.

You should also mention that Aricont can do a massive resolution, hence why their lens may be more expensive..I have seen a demo in an airport where we could read the time of departure on message boards ages away in the picture, however out of the 500 people it took a picture of, 40% were facing the other way, so is 1 x camera and 1 x angle really a solution - I think not.

I have used the strongest example available to IP MP cams - not the weakest, Imagine a grocery store with 15 aisles, whats the point of an IP MP camera then - after all if I put them on one side of an aisle they cant see the other side can they - so in reality 1 x camera per aisle is still needed.

That is just common sense. Some times a MP camera can replace many analog cameras and sometimes they can't.

Next -

Next -

Next -

I think you're preaching to the choir here. I don't think anyone is saying that IP MP cameras are the be all and end all of security and surveillance. Like any good product or technology, there is going to be sales hype (how else will we learn about the new stuff?). Our jobs (integrators and users) is to see through that and be knowledgeable about OUR needs and if this particular technology or product meets them. Yes, the hype is there, but so there is for analog products, which I would assume you are smart enough not to buy into either.

The original poster was simply asking about Mobotix quality and people's experience. I don't recall him making any comments as to IP MP is better than analog.

The answer to are "Mobotix cameras any good?", is yes. But you need to clearly define what YOUR requirements are to determine if they're good for YOU.

Don't know how this turned from Mobotix is good to megapixels vs. vga. But outdoors, having more resolution is always helpful because if you are trying to cover a large area like a pool or parking lot. you need all the resolution you can afford Indoors, VGA cameras are usually good enough and that's all I've used indoors. Of course, you can never have too high a resolution, so then it becomes, is the extra dough worth it to you.

well its been some time since i looked at this and i think they are good cams to use only problem i'v been having is with light and also power to the cams over long cable lengths but still very good cams to use alot better than the analog cams i was using before!

well its been some time since i looked at this and i think they are good cams to use only problem i'v been having is with light and also power to the cams over long cable lengths but still very good cams to use alot better than the analog cams i was using before!

How are you powering the cameras?

PoE > other options.

How long a cable run are we talking?