RichTJ99

What do I need to make a PTZ camera work? Nuvico?

Hi,

I am looking to add a PTZ camera to my house. I am about to own a GV1480A card after an issue with a regular older GV1480 card.

What do I need to make a PTZ work in terms of equipment? Do I need a Joystick? Do I need to run cat5 or something from the camera to the server? Obviously I need R59 for power & video but what else do I need?

Thanks,

Rich

Geovision makes an I/O card that has the RS-485 connector you need. You'll need to run another pair of wires to the camera for the PTZ control signal. It is pretty straight forward. I think the leads are labeled in/out, so remember that "in" on the camera is "out" on the computer.(They maybe +/-, I can't remember.)

Once you have the card installed, the GV software should see it. You then tag one of the cameras as being PTZ and identify the interface. Once that's done, you will get an on screen control panel when you select that camera. Works with the remote software as well, including phones.

BTW, is it this:

GV-NET CARD V3 RS-232 to RS-485 Converter w/ USB Support

or

GV-IO-USB-BOX Geovision USB Box

or this:

GV-NET I/O V3 - 4 Alarm Inputs & 4 Relay Outputs plus RS485 to RS232 Converter w/ USB Support

Thanks,

Rich

GV can't just use the PC's existing serial port???

It does use the serial port in ADDITION to the IO card. (At least mine does). PC serial ports speak RS-232, PTZs speak RS-484.

BTW, is it this:

GV-NET CARD V3 RS-232 to RS-485 Converter w/ USB Support

or

GV-IO-USB-BOX Geovision USB Box

or this:

GV-NET I/O V3 - 4 Alarm Inputs & 4 Relay Outputs plus RS485 to RS232 Converter w/ USB Support

Thanks,

Rich

Either the first one or the last one. Not GV-IO-USB-BOX Geovision USB Box. Check the Geovision web site for installation manuals to see how they connect. http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/3_1.asp?stable1=Pro&sfiled=pgid&pno=13

It does use the serial port in ADDITION to the IO card. (At least mine does). PC serial ports speak RS-232, PTZs speak RS-484.

That would be RS-485... and not all PTZs are limited to it. I've only ever run across ONE PTZ that would ONLY work with RS-485 - all the others so far work just fine with a direct RS-232 connection.

That would be RS-485... and not all PTZs are limited to it. I've only ever run across ONE PTZ that would ONLY work with RS-485 - all the others so far work just fine with a direct RS-232 connection.

484/485, what's a digit amoung friends? Regardless, I don't know if GV speaks 232.

484/485, what's a digit amoung friends? Regardless, I don't know if GV speaks 232.

It doesn't have to, RS-232 is what's spoken by the serial port.

Point is, chances are very good that if GV can drive cameras out the serial port, the RS232/485 converter board isn't necessary - such a board would only be required if the camera doesn't accept RS-232.

The Pany I installed (yea, sample size "1") only spoke 485, so I never looked any further.

Regardless, back to the OP, I'm not sold on the value of PTZ for home use. Mine fills a specific role, but it was darn expensive. Why do you think you need a PTZ? Are you going to monitor it and control it?

Some models from Brand names like GE etc wont, if it is a Kalatel Protocol. You are probably right though, I think Geo get you with the card, I dont think they use the onboard serial ports.

I think I am putting the PTZ on hold. I was hoping that the camera could just keep looking around for motion & stopping when it saw motion. I was told the boush cameras can do that but they are close to $2500.

Geo has that feature using their software, if you use specific PTZ cameras. Not sure how it works or anything, never used it, but remember seeing the feature there in the past.

Edit:

http://www.geovision.com.tw/demo/vid/demo21.htm

How to setup object tracking for PTZ camera: Geovision

http://tinyurl.com/y9ozcn7

FAQ - Hardware

Q: What PTZ domes support The Object Tracking feature?

A:

V8.2 supports PTZ Tracking List

a. Sensormatic (Ultra IV)

b. MESSOA (SDS600 Series)

c. MESSOA (D-700 Series)

d. Pelco (SPECTRA III)

e. VIDO. AT Dome

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/6_0_news.asp?stable=FAQ&sfiled=fsid&stable1=FAQG&sfiled1=fid&pno1=10&title=FAQ&gname=FAQ&pno=101

Soundy - your right as usual - but 232 has some serious distance limitations hence why most times you need to convert from 232 to 485 - TBH dont know why Geo doesnt do this more often _ i know you dont even need a data capture box for their POS feature if only using 1 x till and short distance, just use the 232

Soundy - your right as usual - but 232 has some serious distance limitations hence why most times you need to convert from 232 to 485 - TBH dont know why Geo doesnt do this more often _ i know you dont even need a data capture box for their POS feature if only using 1 x till and short distance, just use the 232

I was just questioning the implication that the RS-485 board was *required* for GV to control PTZs... that seemed rather bush-league to me. Good to hear it's not the case...