nocturnal59

Which cctv testing tool?

Portable DVD player. $30 off Craigslist, works as both monitor and signal source.

Multimeter and 75 ohm terminator is handy for testing some coax problems.

thanks soundy,

how do you use a 75 ohm terminator to troubleshoot a cable? the terminator on google looks like it plugs into a tv or something

Steven

They look like this:

118925_1.jpg

All it does is place a 75-ohm resistor across the pin and shield of the connector. Put that on one end, meter the other end - you should see ~75 ohms. See infinite - it's open (broken wire or connector). See 0 ohms, it's shorted.

Edited by Guest

I use one of these testers. 118926_1.jpg

Different color terminators so you can term multiple ends, go back to the head and figure out which one is which.

^Those are great too. I have something similar for Cat5 testing. The terminator is just a quick and dirty way to check whether a cable is working or not, and 95% of the time it suffices for coax

Come to think if it, the Cat5 tester IS a CCTV testing tool, for my purposes, since it's used almost entirely with IP camera wiring I have this one (the full TP607 kit, with 8 termination modules): http://www.jdsu.com/products/communications-test-measurement/products/a-z-product-list/lanroamerpro-cable-tester.html

tp607.jpg

One of our guys swears by the Rapport 337 tester 118946_1.jpg it is nice, monitor, multimeter, signal generator, and PTZ controller...

I spend more time using this one, the Test-Um NT750 kit.

QVTIMG20050916134521726.jpg

One of our guys swears by the Rapport 337 tester

118946_1.jpg

it is nice, monitor, multimeter, signal generator, and PTZ controller...

I've seen those, I'd love one... $$$$ tho!

I spend more time using this one, the Test-Um NT750 kit.

QVTIMG20050916134521726.jpg

Looks pretty similar to mine, but with the signal-tracer wand... and a bigger screen on the main unit? More graphic mapping, or just more info display? The TP600 has tone-generator function as well, which I've used with my regular fox-and-hound kit's wand.

Yeah, the Rapport unit is pricey, but it's sort of the Swiss army knife of testers, a lot of times you don't need much else...

As far a the Test-Um NT750, it has a display that adds a few good features, like showing DHCP results, PoE power presence and voltage, flashing the link light on a switch it's connected to, and two of the units can ping each other... I had the kit you have first (which does work fine, too), and kicked it down to one of the install guys and got the 750 kit..

Actually, my most recent test equipment purchases have been the Ubiquiti AirView2 and 9 cheapie spectrum analyzers, considering how much wireless I've been doing recently. Thinking about getting the Aaronia HF-6080 Handheld Spectrum Analyzer,

118949_1.jpg

But it's over 2K.. Not bad for a spectrum analyzer, but probably not in the budget for a while...

Well, you need one that has a video or A/V input... then you need the appropriate cable. Most that have that feature will come with the cable, usually with yellow/red/white RCAs on one end and a mini-TRS on the other end (looks like a mini headphone plug, but possibly with an extra ring). Since most cameras use BNC connectors, you then just need a BNC-to-RCA adapter. The player should have its own rechargeable battery, so that takes care of power.

For mine, I also created a DVD with various test patterns - most cases, just a JPEG that I made a 60-second video file from. Then I can use the DVD as a signal source as well.

Just wondering what you guys use to troubleshoot camera, cable and dvr problems? thanks

steven

Our CCTV engineers are each equiped with a CCTV test monitor with inbuilt video level meter (colour burst, sync and video level), a seperate battery operated test card generator, multimeter, cable length meter, portable 'scope, large CRT monitor for back focus, and laptop.

They also have access to colour measurement tools, light meters, the cable test tools detailed by others on this post plus fibre optic and radio test kit.

To deal with the move to IP we have invested in network test tools and software.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

A CRT monitor is a MUST have. If one focuses with a small LCD they will never get a good focus.

Also at least a Basic Meter. Additionally, one can look at the FM Systems "Camera Master", it has a focus meter, no monitor needed. (never used it personally, cant afford it)

ya too right, just the only thing with a crt is its hard to take them to the top of a ladder with an external camera

i did try attatching a battery to a portable 6 inch monitor but was still to heavy.

ya too right, just the only thing with a crt is its hard to take them to the top of a ladder with an external camera

i did try attatching a battery to a portable 6 inch monitor but was still to heavy.

Unless I have a zoom lens I normally pre focus it in a controlled environment. As yes carrying them up ladders can be a pain . I use to carry a 13" TV up the ladder though .. LOL .. but the 9" CCTV monitor was much easier (its blown now, need a new one). Problem with most 13" TVs now, hard to find, and then they dont always have the handle.