homerjnick

New House - Assist in getting right equipment?

Hi, this is my first post here. I have just spent hours researching home CCTV but just can't get there in terms of what I need to buy.

If I describe my situation and what I am looking to achieve maybe you can point me in the right direction?

I have just moved into a new house with my wife in a busy city.

I have at the back of my garden a secure shed where I store a lot of computer equipment (I work in IT).

I am looking to get 4 cameras, all wireless that can connect to a standalone DVR but also that the camera/DVR can be viewed over the internet.

The cameras must have motion sensing on them and record on the DVR.

I have found good cameras and good DVR's but struggling to find DVR's that allow you to connect a wireless camera?

My main camera needs to be good quality so I was thinking of the Axis M1031 W since it has motion sensing AND can illuminate my shed if need be.

The other cameras, although wireless are not that important.

The question is are there any good DVR's, that are networkable, allow the cameras to be viewed on the internet but also allow wireless cameras to be connected to it?

I'm struggling in that area...

Any help would be appreciated!

If you're going with wireless IP cameras, like that Axis, then you don't need the DVR to support wireless *as such*, you just need one that supports IP cameras - the wireless will be handled by whatever WiFi system you choose to implement.

Since you're in IT and no doubt have plenty of spare parts around to build a separate PC, I'd suggest just doing that, and running some suitable NVR software. There are plenty of commercial apps out there (I personally use and recommend Vigil), but Axis actually has a bundle available with four of those cameras, along with their own Camera Station software to view and record them:http://www.axis.com/products/video/bundles/m10/index.htm

Something like that would be a good starter for you, and it addresses all your listed requirements (like remote access) - just slap together a separate computer to run it on... and at some point in the future you decide you need to upgrade your software capabilities, all you have to do is uninstall their software (or even just take it off auto-startup) and install something more advanced.

Thanks, I'm not wanting to run a PC constantly though, I did that before.

So I just need a DVR that supports IP cameras? Most modern DVR's now should?

Just FYI, most standalone units - particularly those that support IP camears - are essentially PCs running an embedded OS (Linux, embedded Windows, etc.). So whether you run a traditional "tower" machine or a standalone, you end up in pretty much the same place. Difference with building your own machine is, you have a lot more control over things like the software, the interface, the networking (VPN to your DVR? No problem!), and the power management... plus it's a lot more expandable in the future, for things like adding disk space, adding cameras, adding software, etc.

I know what you are saying as I did that before but space constraints mean I prefer standalone DVR.

I have had a look at lots of DVR's but they don't tend to say if they support IP Cameras!

Do you recommend any?

I don't, because I deal almost entirely with PC-based systems... but others here will have plenty of suggestions, I'm sure.

If space is a concern, though, you could always look into one of these: http://us.shuttle.com/

We've been building DVRs into their "cube" cases for years - they work great (as long as you don't lock it inside a small cabinet, as some clients have had to find out the hard way).

You could also look at a NAS from Synology or QNAP. Both act as IP camera recording stations. Double check the list of supported cameras.

Doesn't the NAS from Synology (VS60) just support connecting to it?

I would want features like not record until there is movement etc.

I am finding it really hard to find a DVR that:

Supports IP Cameras

Internet viewing via browser

Motion Sensor

Doesn't the NAS from Synology (VS60) just support connecting to it?

I would want features like not record until there is movement etc.

I am finding it really hard to find a DVR that:

Supports IP Cameras

Internet viewing via browser

Motion Sensor

Don't know about the VS60. Look at the DS209 series. It has record on motion. Essentially, the cameras have to stream to the NAS all the time. Then the NAS does the motion detection and records. The current version of the Synology software is very limited compared to something like Geovision. For example you only have rough control over the sensitivity and cannot make different parts of the image have different sensitivity. OTOH, it does work as a way to simply gather the streams in one place. Synology stores the files as AVIs or MPGs on the hard drive. There is a post on the Synology forum that talks about stripping out images from the last stream and sending them to a static web page. It looks straight forward.

There is a new version of the synology software coming at the end of the month, but I do not know what that will bring.

There is a live demo on the synology web page.

In fact that model is perfect for what I am wanting! Thank you!

it has only been out for 3 months i have 2 units out and had no problems. the problem you might have is the make of ip cameras you have. ???

Ok....can you offer help on why you recommend Virgil?

Well... they're a local company (to me) so I like to support them Plus they have excellent support, and an excellent product. Put it this way: two of Canada's major oil companies that we service have standardized on them (at least in the Western Canada regions we cover), as well as a major restaurant chain we look after.

In fact that model is perfect for what I am wanting! Thank you!

it has only been out for 3 months i have 2 units out and had no problems. the problem you might have is the make of ip cameras you have. ???

I don't have any yet but I am going to get the Axis M1031-W which is supported by what I read!