nsxttt

How can you spot a fake GeoVision card?

Do you mean when shopping for one, or after the purchase?

if shopping for one, a really cheap retail price, old version software like 7.0, or in some cases purchasing from China, will normally indicate the card is fake. However note there are also some legit Geovision resellers in China, and GeoVision even has an office there, I think it is moreso an issue with Hong Kong, but dont quote me

Since i have now bought 2 & returned 2 fake cards, the basic rule of thumb is to skip ebay when it comes to crazy cheap prices. They are all fake (maybe not all). I would buy from a sponsor on the site.

Its amazing that with a Legit 1480a card all my strange issues just went away. No more fussing with the system, it just works.

I ment shopping for one. I've seen a few decent priced ones on ebay and a few really cheap ones.

I saw a post somewhere on here with a picture of a real one and it seems like the real ones have "clear" plasic bags for the accessories and the fakes ones were a thin not as translucent bag. Also looks like the real ones have more bags and accessories. All the ones I've seen have 8.2 or 8.3.

I just buyed a

geovision card from eBay, acceped no paypal only creditcard.

Price 95 euro+ 25 shipping.

Must be fake right!? No, 100% original Genuine Geovision GV 800 card (16cannels, PCI)

Box, manual, CD, 100% ok. Not refurbish.

And seems to work perfect. The eBay seller and some other eBay sellers seems to sell more off this cards.

My brother buyed this card, and its new and Genuine to, notrefurbishd like they say in the add, buy brand new!

[edit by mod-store link removed]

No, thats not my eBay account

I think the PCI versions are for sale and sold for dump prices.

Not a bad deal for a card that is produced this summer sept 09.

Remember, even if its a genuine one on ebay, geo wont give support to any card not purchased through a authorised seller, and they dont have any authorised sellers selling cards on any auction sites.... So not one single card on ebay can come with genuine geovision warranty or support.

At that $US price, it must be either fake, stolen, 2nd hand, or bad.

Thats 5 times less then the average dealer cost, in fact that is cheaper then pirated copies of Anykeeper out of Hong Kong.

If u want i can make some pics of this card, software and box.

Seems to work perfect whit the 8.3 software, no strange things.

Fake cards have all kind of problems, this card not. Has a barcode to.

So post some pics?

Remember, even if its a genuine one on ebay, geo wont give support to any card not purchased through a authorised seller, and they dont have any authorised sellers selling cards on any auction sites.... So not one single card on ebay can come with genuine geovision warranty or support.

Just an observation,

What's Geovision trying to accomplish here by preventing their "Authorized Dealers" from selling their cards on Ebay. Come on, Ebay is the world's #1 Online Giant Auction Site. By preventing authorized dealers from reselling on Ebay Geovision will only accomplish one thing: Keep the prices for the GeoVision cards prohibitively high.

If GeoVision cards can be purchased on Ebay then that would cause a massive competition which would be good for us, customers and CCTV installers because the more competition there is, prices would start going down dirt cheap and still remain 100% genuine with full GeoVision support.

Because prices for Geovision is still high enough that's why I haven't adopted them yet. I am into the CCTV installation business and I am using another software and card not produced by GeoVision because on the area that I operate I have my competitors announcing that they can install a 4CH DVR system for $1,200 and even though I still dont charge anything less than $1,500 for a 4CH system because I only use quality hardware, if I purchased GeoVision that would seriously cut too much into my profit or leave me into a loss if I wanted to properly compete with my competitors here with GeoVIsion. So that's why I dont use them.

I just buyed a

geovision card from eBay, acceped no paypal only creditcard.

Price 95 euro+ 25 shipping.

Must be fake right!? No, 100% original Genuine Geovision GV 800 card (16cannels, PCI)

Box, manual, CD, 100% ok. Not refurbish.

And seems to work perfect. The eBay seller and some other eBay sellers seems to sell more off this cards.

My brother buyed this card, and its new and Genuine to, notrefurbishd like they say in the add, buy brand new!

[edit by mod-store link removed]

No, thats not my eBay account

I think the PCI versions are for sale and sold for dump prices.

Not a bad deal for a card that is produced this summer sept 09.

If that is true that you were able to find a Genuine 16CH GeoVision card on Ebay for that price, and its 100% Genuine, then that might be a good entry point for me to start using/experimenting with GeoVision. As far as "support" is concerned based on my years of experience on this business, I have yet to call for "support" with any of the manufacturers of CCTV cards I have dealt and deal with and I am the one to provide "support" for the customers I perform the CCTV installations, so chances are that I wont need GeoVision support, the only thing that I wound need in this case is for their software to come initially stable enough to perform the basic functions for which a CCTV software is designed for (Record and Output videos on Screen(s)). If the software that comes on that CD is stable enough, then I will never have a problem with that particular card, and I may even never need to search for an Update for the software because if it works good on the first day, then it should continue working good perpetually until a serious HARDWARE problem is encountered (Hard Drive Crashed, Bad Capacitors on Mainboard/DVR card, Faulty RAM, etc, etc).

Right now, I am mostly dealing with a software called "Digivue" which is genuine, I purchase it locally and for 16 CH that card costs me $350.00 which for me its still good enough for leave me in a good (+) profitably speaking in doing a 16CH installation and a 4 CH DigiVue runs for $85. But right now, based on what I can read online, if I were to purchase a 16CH GeoVision from an authorized dealer that would, according to what I read on this post, would grant me "support rights", that card would cost me a whopping $849 on a card that records on the same FPS as the "Digivue" I am currently doing for $350. And this price quote came from an authorized website claiming a 110% price match guarantee for these GeoVision cards. Their most expensive geovision card that they got is an 8CH PCI Displaying and Recording at 240 FPS, that card costs $1,074 and the card model is a GV-2008 and if you wanted to do 16CH on a system with that card, then it would cost you $2,148. Even though I understand that the GV-2008 is real time per channel and my 16CH Digivue is half Real time per channel at 15FPS/CH it still wouldn't justify spending that much money on the GV-2008 because if real time is important for the customer all what I would have to do is purchase two DigiVue 16CH cards at $350 each for $700 in total and I would then have 16CH in Real time (using 8CH per card).

So, as you can see, price is the problem when it comes down to the GeoVision cards and based on my research, many DVR card manufacturer places a greater value on their SOFTWARE rather than the card it self, I think that the price factor for Software to Card is like 90% to Software/10% to the actual physical DVR hardware card. So people are actually paying too much for SOFTARE. I find this to be an abuse on the software developers parts, placing so much value on their software. GeoVision will have to compete with the other Genuine high quality software developers out there if they want to get my business.

I guess I am too smart not to overpay for software/products and to smartly compare/contrast.

Question:

What's GeoVision's basis in prohibiting authorized dealers from selling their cards on Ebay? Is not like they are going to prevent piracy doing that. They can control their cards with serial numbers, chipset ID, and a truck load of other method in ensuring Genuinity. If I were a dealer for any products, I would HATE to be limited as to where I can sell my inventory and being limited to NOT sell on Ebay I would find that to be a sufficient bottleneck.

Question:

What's GeoVision's basis in prohibiting authorized dealers from selling their cards on Ebay? Is not like they are going to prevent piracy doing that. They can control their cards with serial numbers, chipset ID, and a truck load of other method in ensuring Genuinity. If I were a dealer for any products, I would HATE to be limited as to where I can sell my inventory and being limited to NOT sell on Ebay I would find that to be a sufficient bottleneck.

There are alot of fake Geovision cards all over Ebay, using cracked GeoVision software. So I think their main goal as a software company is to have all authorized resellers only sell from their main sites ... then again I dont know ... if the reseller sold it under their company name and linked to their site, and it is approved by Ebay .. it should be okay .. anyway I guess that is their policy, hey, some DVR companies dont even allow their resellers to sell the card separate, eg. Kodicom.

Personally, i would love to see the price come down.

also, though I can vouce for 8.1x versions of their software as blowing other DVR software out of the water, their 8.3x does not impress me, if anything the foot print is WAY too heavy and one needs a much more powerful PC .. that annoys me, much like what MS and Mac have done .. and other developers even Nero and such, software too slow to be worth using. In Comparison, Ubuntu runs laps around [stripped down super tweaked] XP on my Eee PC .. and even has Desktop Cube and Wigly Windows!

BTW you might want to check out Nuuo for Hardware Compression, their 16 channel hardware compression card is half the price of Geo's hardware compression card (sorry geo but really, that price is ridiculous). I cant say how their software is, but they seem to be competing with Geo now so they have tons of features, and it does run fine on a slower (3 ghz P4) system.

If u want i can make some pics of this card, software and box.

Seems to work perfect whit the 8.3 software, no strange things.

Fake cards have all kind of problems, this card not. Has a barcode to.

So post some pics?

Hey any chance can still get hold of these cards?

I have a client that doesnt mind a 2nd hand card to replace another old card.

Thanks,

Rory

We like to buy everything from legit dealers. No problems with returns for doa stuff, tech support, no issures with warrentees etc. I we have to warrentee something I don't want to eat the cost of replacement if I got it from some off beat source. I wonder sometimes how many times a particular item has been sold on Ebay. Did I buy it and then find out it did not work and then to cut my losses put it back up for sale?

There is alot of good information on fake or counterfeit geovision dvr cards on these pages:

[edit by mod-store links removed]

It seems that the counterfeit dvr card manufacturers are getting smarter with the release of their cheap cards. They are putting a fake holographic sticker on the front of the card that is almost exact as the same one provided by geovision. Also, they are putting false bar codes and serial numbers on them as well.

The one thing they are not doing is marking the 1,2,3,4 numbers on the video processing chips like the guys at geovision does.

Every other month we get a fake card in... as expected the customer is enormously pissed since they paid the full retail price. Usually the cards are around 48 bucks and ended up paying 560 or something like that.

What we have found is that the fake cards never seem to last more that 1 year or usually come up with a counterfeit or fake error.

Here are some pics to compare the fake card from the original...

If you ever want to check and see if the dvr card is fake, contact the guys at dvrkits.com and they should be able to give you a firm answer in 10 minutes.

figure11.jpg.802b37df929919bcb93f1f66c646b945.jpg

figure44.jpg.265f1e7b7313a592a74201b356eaf7b1.jpg

figure33.jpg.7aa2e2692e111af3b91a6f46d764b415.jpg

One last word of advice, if you are in the market for some clone/fake dvr cards, MAKE SURE that you buy at least 3 of them. The reason for this is because we have several companies that we provide products to that do use the fake cards, they tell us that for every 5 that they get, they always get at least 1 to 2 dead out of the box. The rest of the cards that they do buy and use usually always fail or become defective in under 1 year of being sold. These buyers are aware of it and when they test them out to find the bad ones they just throw them in the garbage.

If you are buying one just for yourself to tinker around the home or workshop, that is one thing. But to use one for a paying customer, that is just not right. At least let them know what you are doing and make them aware that it is not an original and at the expense of saving money for the customer, the fake card will have a high rate of possible failure within the first year.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not made in the same factory that GeoVision uses. They are made to be sold for profit, not for reliability. It should speak highly of geovision enough that people are making efforts to counterfeit their products. I go to China every year to meet with vendors and see the teen aged resellers all the time. If you buy one, that's it, you are stuck with it. Don't expect any support, service or any kind of intelligent dialogue on it. And since they are so cheap, its never worth the shipping cost to send back to Shenzhen.

Actually we had a local company sell a customer a fake system. The customer turned out to be an attorney with anger management problems...This guy was like a bomb waiting to explode. Not what you would call a "nice" customer. The customer came to us to fix the problem since the installer couldn't be reached. ( The installer was a real smart-a$$ jerk) We advised him of the fake card and he went freaking ballistic. He sued the company and put them out of business. This is probably the only time we've heard of this actually happening.

If you buy any geovision dvr card products, make sure it is from a reputable distributor or dealer that can handle any problems you have.... That is if you are a good and honest security company looking to stay in business and build a good reputation.