vvrt

CCTV Survey

I am looking for advise, How do I do a CCTV Survey for installing a CCTV system in a samll food shop, What points should be looking for. I am new to installing CCTV for other shops for a fee. I have installed CCTV for my shops and I am interested in CCTV and Alarms Systems having installed a few for myself and my family, But the way thing are I am having to close my two shops and I am looking to start in this line of work, Before I can fit an Alarm system I have to be registered here In Ireland but takes arount 2500.00 euros to register, I do not have to register for CCTV but I want to do a good job, and register later for the Alarm systems. I have a shop owner looking to install a CCTV system in his shop and he wants me to do a survey for him, So again how do I compleat a Survey for CCTV for a small busines?

any advise would be good, Thanks

Welcome to the board!

The first thing you need to do is find out (from the store owner/manager) what the "areas of concern" are - where do they have their most problems/losses/incidents? Do they experience employee theft from food storage, or from cash drawers? Is there a lot of trouble with shoplifters?

In general, you want to start with a tight shot on the main entrance, to get clear facial shots of people coming in. This is usually the camera you want to spend the most on, especially if there's bad backlighting (bright sunlight outside) - you want something that can handle the dynamic range.

Next, plan on at least two wide shots of the whole store are common, usually in opposing corners of the main floor area. On 1/4" or 1/3" cameras, something in a 2.8mm lens will get you close to a 90° field of view. Don't expect a lot of detail in these shots; the main idea for them is to get an overview of what's happening in the whole area.

From there, you can concentrate on the particular areas of concern. If they have a high incidence of shoplifting of particular products, consider a camera or two near those areas, with views just tight enough to capture those areas with as much detail as possible. If there are issues with employees skimming from the till, perhaps a covert camera over the paypoint will be required.

That should be enough to get you started.

Pretend you are a crook.

What would you grab quickly to sell for fast pocket money?

How would you break in?

What is the weakest entry point?

How can you get in to the building without being seen?

Are purses laying out within easy reach?

Do they lock doors to storage areas / server rooms?

What is the environment of the area? High crime verses a low crime area?

How would you protect female employees from an exboyfriend, or ex husband on a rampage?

How would you protect employees from a fired employee who returns for "payback".

Can you take products outside and hide them in a garbage bin, or around a hidden corner of the building?

Can an employee change the phone system passcode, and then forward all of the calls to a cheap cellular phone, and steal the company's business phone sales?

Can an employee make changes to a computer, or a server creating a forwarding link to steal internet traffic?

How much cash does the business handle in a day?

If you were a thief what would you do??

How would you deter these issues?

How can you better set up the equipment to make it more flexible to cover unforseen changes in the future. (using varifocal lenses instead of fixed lens for example, or installing more cable length to allow for the camera to be moved without having to run new cable ect).

How can you install your equipment, and protect it from unauthorized use, or tamper?

What changes can the owner make on their own to better enhance their security? Can they install tint that prevents breaking in through plate glass windows? Can they trim branches to keep someone from hiding? Can they install vegetation to enhance security. Hedges are great to force people to walk down a sidewalk rather than just walking through a yard and preventing the cameras from getting a good facial shot.

What do you think?

Thanks Guys, two very helpful comments, will take all points on board, Would it be a good idea to take a camera with a test monitor to show the owner fields of view?? and /or the difference between a cheap and meduim cost camera?

Because I am from a retail background and that I have experenced shoplifters and staff taking stock and money I think will be a great advantage to this surrvey.

Will keep you updated when I have the survey done.

thanks again

aiden

I am looking for advise, How do I do a CCTV Survey for installing a CCTV system in a samll food shop, What points should be looking for. I am new to installing CCTV for other shops for a fee. I have installed CCTV for my shops and I am interested in CCTV and Alarms Systems having installed a few for myself and my family, But the way thing are I am having to close my two shops and I am looking to start in this line of work, Before I can fit an Alarm system I have to be registered here In Ireland but takes arount 2500.00 euros to register, I do not have to register for CCTV but I want to do a good job, and register later for the Alarm systems. I have a shop owner looking to install a CCTV system in his shop and he wants me to do a survey for him, So again how do I compleat a Survey for CCTV for a small busines?

it will not belong before a licence is needed in Ireland. so dont start off on the wrong foot.

soundy and scorpion have given you good advice.

go and spend sometime in the shop take a note pad and make a sketch. look around all the outside of the store. see what lighting they is and also like scorpion has said look around the bin area (also remember cctv is not just for customers bad staff as well)

does the shop sell beer ??? if so you have to have a cctv trail i.e from shelf to till to leaving the store this also includes outside the front of the store. so as the owner can proof he has not sold to underage kids. if you pm me i will send you the goverment advice sheets. you can also give your customers a copy. as far as equipment dont do as many installers in ireland and the uk are doing. buying cheap chines rubbish with a mark up of 1000% and your customer having a crap system. you have on of the biggest cctv suppliers in euroupe in ireland. RF Concepts who will give you all the help you need.

Hi

Thanks Tomcctv, yes there will a fee imposed by the gov soon , there are drawing up papers now. No I plan to give good equipment to the owner I just want to cover my costs of installing the system not looking to for a mark up on equipment, I am hoping that with a good system installed the owner will bw impressed with it and pass on the word to other bussiness. Word of mouth is the best form of ads.

aiden

It is worth it's weight in gold to have a monitor, and standing on a ladder and letting the customer see the view. What they see is what they get! It prevents alot of misconceptions, and disapointments after you have already installed the equipment.

You can show the issues with wide angle view lenses that distort the distance, and show that they will not get facial shots at a distance.

All security CCTV should be designed aorund the principles of defining the operational requirement.

This process requires a foraml riak assessment to be complied and the CCTV system designed to address the risks highlighted.

This requires each camera view to be defined and documented and the set up of the recording system (ie frame rate, resolution, bit rate, storage duration etc) should also be considered in light of the risk assessment.

This is the point that you start to look at specifying kit.

A good start would be the UK Home Office Operational Requirement manual which is a free download from the web site.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Hi,

Thank you ilk I have it downloaded and reading it I will be able to use some points from it.

A