BBKingAdrock

Maiden Voyage - 20 Camera PC setup

Hello friends,

I have been tasked by an installation contractor if I can build a PC-based DVR system to meet his needs and beat the competitor's price. My understanding is that he has installed these systems, but has always purchased them as kits from online retailers. I have built PCs for him in the past (not for cctv purposes). I can put together a formidable PC rig no problem, but have no cctv experience.

My question to you, is it as simple as locating the right dvr card for my purposes, and putting a couple in my machine? He wants the system to be able to support 24 cameras, but will only be using 20 to start.

Suggestions on which dvr card to use is much appreciated. No audio capture is needed at this time, and I will make the PC as robust as possible.

Apologies if I have not included enough info, I will gladly elaborate as much as needed.

Thanks in advance,

BBK

What type of cameras do they plan on using? Analog, IP or a mixture of both? If it's straight IP's you won't need a capture card but will need a lot of storage.

Personal preference is Geovision though some will disagree. Specific models will depend on how you want to use them. Are you going to be recording 24/7? Motion Detect only? How many FPS you want to assign to each camera? Camera distance from server?

Guess what I'm saying is that there is a lot more than just slapping a card into a computer and away you go.

Thanks for the reply Harrar.

One thing I wanted to clarify: The reason I asked only about the dvr card at this time, is because it is the unknown hurdle to me being able to proceed forward with the task. I've seen cards from $30 to $1200, and I believe I'll need at least 2, so I need to establish how much I'm going to spend on these cards before I know if it is worth moving forward. Basically, what I'm saying is, if I have to buy $2000 worth of dvr capture cards, I can probably just stop my work right now. I'd like to keep my card cost to three figures, if possible (but don't let that deter you from giving me your recommendation).

To answer your questions:

-They plan on using traditional/analog cameras

-They want the cameras to be motion detect only, but these will be going into a bar/club. Therefore, the ones in high traffic areas will probably be recording the better part of the day.

-I'm told the longest runs will be around 70'. To be safe, let's say no more than 100'.

-FPS is a bit of a hassle. In doing some snooping around, I have found some sources that have convinced me that FPS is mostly fools gold. That said, my customer is expecting a card capable of 30 (theoretically). I'd like to deliver that, or near enough.

Thanks again

-bbk

Thanks for the reply Harrar.

One thing I wanted to clarify: The reason I asked only about the dvr card at this time, is because it is the unknown hurdle to me being able to proceed forward with the task. I've seen cards from $30 to $1200, and I believe I'll need at least 2, so I need to establish how much I'm going to spend on these cards before I know if it is worth moving forward. Basically, what I'm saying is, if I have to buy $2000 worth of dvr capture cards, I can probably just stop my work right now. I'd like to keep my card cost to three figures, if possible (but don't let that deter you from giving me your recommendation).

To answer your questions:

-They plan on using traditional/analog cameras

-They want the cameras to be motion detect only, but these will be going into a bar/club. Therefore, the ones in high traffic areas will probably be recording the better part of the day.

-I'm told the longest runs will be around 70'. To be safe, let's say no more than 100'.

-FPS is a bit of a hassle. In doing some snooping around, I have found some sources that have convinced me that FPS is mostly fools gold. That said, my customer is expecting a card capable of 30 (theoretically). I'd like to deliver that, or near enough.

Thanks again

-bbk

you are best looking at getting 15 fps with good recording quality. remember fps has nothing to do with quality of footage. as far as building your own dvr. and if you have not done it before i would just buy a good hybrid system which will give you the option to up-grade later to ip cameras. you are looking at 24 cameras then you need two 16 cards and that alone willl eat away at $2000. then your H/drives and also cost of pc.

build or buy is your choice. too options.

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=33

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=62

Tom,

I just watched some video comparing different captured frame rates. Wow. Almost no difference between 30 and 15, and 10 fps was fluid as well. I appreciate the advice, I will definitely be satisfied with 15fps.

That said, it would appear I am looking to get two cards, 16 channels each, 240 fps.

If 15 fps is "smooth" to the human eye, what would be the need to go above that? Where would a FPS over 15 be helpful?

Tom,

I just watched some video comparing different captured frame rates. Wow. Almost no difference between 30 and 15, and 10 fps was fluid as well. I appreciate the advice, I will definitely be satisfied with 15fps.

That said, it would appear I am looking to get two cards, 16 channels each, 240 fps.

now you have your fps sorted when you buy cards look for a good recording res. just pm you.

Why not just a single 32-channel card? Less space, less complexity, and probably lower cost.

Vigil and Video Insight have them - I've used both and they work great. Vigil even has a 32-channel/960fps (full 30fps on every channel) system.

Naturally, something like that will be spendy - for the card, AND the PC necessary to handle it. But as you've noted, even 10fps looks smooth in most cases, and you certainly don't need a beast like that.

Here's another thought too: instead of assuming that you need the full 10-15fps on ALL channels... identify channels where you can do with less. Lots of times you may find something even below 5fps will suffice. Nobody says all channels have to use the same framerate, and when you're looking back at recorded incidents, rarely are high framerates NEEDED. Sure, they look nicer, but they don't necessarily give you any more information.