cro70

two-door principal access

Hi,

I need to control a two-door, totally cristal, main entrance. If I use a double door maglock (e.g. model 600D from alarm controls corp) and a REX, I'm done. But what about an emergency?

this door will be used to evacuate people, and they will have to first push the REX button to release door. When people are in panic they just push the door and if this door is closed with a maglock, definetely they will broke that door. I can not install an emergency bar because there is no place to fix it.

Is there any way to control in a safe way this doors?

in other words, this kind of doors, totally cristal, must not be installed at emergency exits?

I appreciate your help

Couple different methods we've used: a smoke detector wired into the maglock circuit, along with a latching relay so that if the smoke goes off, the lock stays off until a reset button is pressed; or a motion sensor above the door that interrupts the maglock circuit.

Which works better for you (if either) will depend on your exact needs: if you expect some sort of emergency that would require fast evacuation, other than fire, then the smoke won't do. We also had one site where they'd attempt to use the maglock to trap petty thieves (snatch-and-grabs of chocolate bars, and such), but the motion sensor above the door would let them escape... then reset just in time to stop the clerk running after them (they asked me to disconnect the motion... I pointed out that the fire marshall would have something to say about it).

Soundy is right but your local AHJ might want fire panel to control the door not just smoke detector as it would also have to function as a life safety device as per nfpa 72 and nfpa 101 codes or you could just use a motion rex mounted above the door to trip the rex input of the access control system this option would also make your AHJ happy also.

Thank you both,

I think the REX above the door will do the function I am looking for, this will substitute the emergency bar.

The main idea is in case of emergency or evacuation, when people is in panic, they just go to the door and push it to go out. Since an not install an emergency bar, the motion REX will open the door before the reach the door. this will function as well in a fire case.

best regards

Keep in mind that the REX is triggered by heat... And not necessarily a body leaving. I've seen examples of REX's being triggered by savvy thieves stuffing burning paper through the door gap..And in one case, urinating through it.

You may want to look into one of the dual-tech, PIR/Microwave type units, to prevent this.

Keep in mind that the REX is triggered by heat... And not necessarily a body leaving. I've seen examples of REX's being triggered by savvy thieves stuffing burning paper through the door gap..And in one case, urinating through it.

You may want to look into one of the dual-tech, PIR/Microwave type units, to prevent this.

Depends whether you rely on the maglock as the ONLY means of locking the door after-hours, I suppose. I never recommend that - a power outage would readily unlock the door to anyone who wanted to walk in, too.

We've had the odd clerk lock themselves out as well - they have the door locked (night service being via a passthru window), then hit the exit button by the door to go outside for something, then get trapped... so for these instances, we install an outdoor keypad that they can use to unlock the door. Unfortunately, unless you use a really pricey enclosure or something like a Scramblepad, those can be fairly easily defeated and bypassed by someone with a few minutes on their hands, so again, it's not a recommended method of securing the site for overnight.

As somebody posted before the big deal it how the fire marshall looks at it. They will have the final say.

Some places not only require a tie to the fire panel but two means of releasing the door a button and a motion detector. It might be cheaper to replace the door so you can have some type of mechanical release.