chaos

aver.6480 and pos. help

im kinda needing alittle advice im doing a 15 cam install and have never done a pos. to date just wondering how much of a pain this could be ive been doing alot of reading and still dont feel overly confident please chime in with recomendations. here are the specs. im using

windows 7

avermedia 6480 card

digital dining register system

5 registers im assuming i need the 5 avermedia pos capture systems

how do i connect these 5 capture systems in to my dvr computer

i need this info asap the client is waiting for me to finish the quote

thanks brian

Audiovideofx

I just did my first POS install wasn't to bad... i used cat5 cable with no ends..

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20014

for a few questions i had answered from tomcctv

what kind of printers/pos is this place using?

Also tomcctv reccomended a moxa card

so you'll need to wire with cat5 ethernet to a rs485 to rs232 converter... and all of those into the moxa card... then just hopefully pointing everything to the correct ports that the moxa card will create.

http://www.moxa.com/product/multiport_serial_board.htm

so 5 Aver POS boxes

5 232/485 converters (pretty cheap)

the moxa board (looks like a few hundred) or

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOXA-C168H-PCI-8-PORT-RS-232-HIGH-SPEED-SERIAL-CARD-NEW_W0QQitemZ110374031658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b2ce112a

but no cable

I hope i'm going in the right direction...

im kinda needing alittle advice im doing a 15 cam install and have never done a pos. to date just wondering how much of a pain this could be ive been doing alot of reading and still dont feel overly confident please chime in with recomendations. here are the specs. im using

windows 7

avermedia 6480 card

digital dining register system

5 registers im assuming i need the 5 avermedia pos capture systems

how do i connect these 5 capture systems in to my dvr computer

i need this info asap the client is waiting for me to finish the quote

thanks brian

Audiovideofx

the quickest way is to get a usb extender i.e 5 port. and 5 moxa units. which will give you 5 com ports 1 for each register.

http://www.moxa.com/product/UPort_1130_1130I.htm

thanks for the responses destro 23 the type of system is digital dinning. im going back tomorrow to check the type of printer port. kinda jammed up here with the second blizzard in 3 days everything today is now tomorrow lol.

tomcctv i really value your opinion. i do alot of lurking on here and see you pop up alot. but i think your talking over my head i clicked on the link on looked at the product im not seeing how i can hook 5 pos. into that? are you saying most of the printers are usb and not rs 232. im just lost please go into more detail theirs probably a much easer or simpler way to do this i say no mention of the avermedia pos capture systems. pics i need pics for the slow guy

thanks brian

audiovideofx

Yea i'm in Jersey... still pretty crappy out

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Upload/Download/20080910161856896.pdf

the link is kinda slow for me.. so maybee right click and "save as"

here is the POS box from avermedia... basically that box accepts serial or parallel printer port..

This sits in between the printer and the computer.. then intercepts the signal.. and connects to DVR on a seperate line... the pdf should explain it and there are pics!!! lol

the more i look into this the more of a pain it is. The digitail dining system is microsoft based dont know if thats a problem. But what this is a sports bar and they dont print out reciepts except when closing out tabs and for food purchaces. theirfore. i wouldent get that much pos input going to the dvr and it that makes it almost point less. however the 4 registers they have all go back to one server and are saved their. there has got to be a way to interface with thir digital dinning and lay the text over the camera register feeds. please someone smarter than me help everbody lol.

thanks brian

It seems that the POS thing is a little simpler if you just look at how Avermedia incorporates the POS function. Since the Aver POS box is in line to any printer that can be used to print a receipt, then it simply captures the receipt print data and sends it to two places, one being your camera computer.

So if it were me I would work backwards a tad bit and I think it would clarify some things. First the idea of Avermedia's POS capture function is to match up POS transaction data with cash handling and relate that to whatever camera channel(s) you have trained on that specific register. So assuming that the sports bar has 5 POS stations and then one server station tucked away in the bowels of the bar, you should still only need 5 POS boxes and the Moxa stuffs. The server should be out of the picture since the Aver stuff does not interface into that. Alternatively, if you are saying that the Digital Dining stuff is set up so that when the bar personnel close a tab and push a tender request on any one of the 5 POS screen locations, they have to then go back to a central printer near the server area, you would only have 1 printer interface. Maybe a line drawing could help you, just like they have on the Aver box site.

Let's assume the previous, that the sports bar has 5 POS screens and 5 satellite printers connected to said screens. Then all those 5 screens are also connected via a VLAN to the server in the back. You still only have the 5 POS printer lines to interface in to. I would stay away from trying to jack into the server side of it, since it is a good bet that both Digital Dining and Avermedia software would not jive in any way. So, your original plan sounds like the best solution. Get their printer model and specs and make sure the Aver box can hook into each one of those, which you may need to get some added connectors if the POS>Printer is a USB connection, since the Aver boxes need RS connections, but as Destro said they are pretty cheap. Then you need the cable distances of all the printer boxes to where the camera computer will be located, so you can price out how to get from the Aver boxes to the camera computer and choose the appropriate connectors for that as well.

You might also want to look at the Moxa CP-118EL-A if you have an extra 1x slot on the computer board. Tom's usb to serial would work as well, either way it would be a mess of cables in the back of the box LOL.

Also, is windows 7 working better than last reported with the 7.7 software and the 6480EXP cards???

I'd like to know this too. Aver's site isn't updated with any Win7 compatibility, or maybe it isn't...

What version of Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit?

i just did a install with windows 7 last week using aver 6480 card worked great using the 32 bit. im going go look into what you guys said and get back to you thanks for the response

thanks brian

ok m norman ive got time to respond properly. i am planning to interface with the printer port. i do think im going to run into some issues with it later on with owner requests. the reason for the second round of questions after destro and tomcctv was i found out from talking to the employes. they dont print out 50% of thier transactions per day no one wants them. they are only printing with food and when closeing out a tab. so unless im mistaken if they arent printing reciepts im not recieving any info to the dvr. pos. input thats why i was wondering if i could intrecept the info at the server somehow without reinventing the wheel.

thankyou brian

The only other way that i can think of is..... do these have a "pole" display of some sort or no?

The only other way i can think of is tricking the computer somehow that it's printing to a 2nd "printer" when in actuality it's printing to nothing but just to display it on the screen. Other then that all solutions only have stuff displayed on screen when something is printed to printer.

Oh I see now, thanks for the clarification. Might be able to set up some sort of relay switch and pipe that back for a trigger to the POS screens, but man that is a problem. Might have to rely on motion recording set higher near the POS screens and if there is a question about a transaction the onus would be put on the management to match POS to Video via time. Although, you could set the POS functions up and "recommend" a management directive for printing of all receipts no matter if the patron wants a copy or not. Sounds like it falls on the management either way not the system designer.

Yes I'm using POS software..I'm saving my time. It's easy and reliable point of sales systems are name of the game to manage thousands of sales, wholesale and services businesses. This software is one of the full-featured, affordable and reliable technologies in the world of business.

We have our own POS software that we install for our clients only. I asked the programmer to give serial outputs of whatever tansactions are added to the database. So, if the POS server (not clients) is next to the DVR server, then I don't even have to run cables from the printer. Also, even if they don't print trickets, it doesn't matter; I still grab the text once it's put on the database. We are working on the software for distribution, it is not available for resellers, yet.