Smartsec

Eight Cameras to Show on a Website

Hey all:

It's been couple years that I read on this forum, and normally find the answers on existing posts, but here comes my first post since i couldn't find it anywhere.

I have a situation where a client wants to install 8 cameras at his premises, and wants all Eight cameras to show on his web site at all times.

We have installed countless of IP cameras, analog cameras etc..., but this is completely new to me.

Does any of you had any experience with such application?

I heard that there's a device which acts as a web server and can upload the video signal to the web?!

Any idea if it'll slow down the browsing on this website?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

There are a few different ways to do it. Some IP cameras can push a stream or still image that you could embed in a website. If you're using analog cameras, many DVRs have web-based viewers that you could just link to.

I can't speak for any others, but IQEye provides a nice little snippet of code (Javascript) that you can embed in any website to display their IP cameras, so you could easily create a layout with tables or frames to show multiple cameras.

Very useful info Soundy!

Although I like to work with Arecont 5 megapixel cams, I will consider IQEye for this job.

Any Idea on how to do it with Arecont?

Thx again

Almost all DVRs and IP cameras have Browser based apps these days .. just pick what you want to use, then see what it has available.

Don't get me started on Arecont - I can't stand them and will avoid them if at all possible.

I'm also quickly developing a dislike for HikVision cameras

Thank you Soundy and Rory for your help.

Almost all DVRs and IP cameras have Browser based apps these days .. just pick what you want to use, then see what it has available.

I'll most likely use Nuuo for the application, the client is pretty familiar with it and would prefer to go with something he likes, any idea if Nuuo had developed a browser based app?

As for Arecont cameras,

Don't get me started on Arecont - I can't stand them and will avoid them if at all possible.

What did you find wrong with it?, I only disliked the missing test port.

What did you find wrong with it?, I only disliked the missing test port.

Which, Arecont or Hik?

My general hatred of Arecont is well-documented here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17784. I'm told that their SDK is horrid as well, leading to very flaky support in some DVRs.

The HikVisions I've been playing with aren't so bad, but their config interface is poorly laid out (at least on these particular units) and the Engrish gives me a headache.

and the Engrish gives me a headache.

hahaha am I the only one that caught that? awesome

The problem I see with "browser" based remote clients for DVRs/ NVRs is most I've played with require Active X, meaning IE ONLY! Bummer. Not to mention they have to run some sort of plug in which requires admin rights and loose internet security settings... The average web user probably won't know how or have the patience to tweak all the settings, or know to hold down that "shift" to disable the pop up blocker...

I have a feeling this client is thinking of something as clean and simple as YouTube. Probably wants something ANYONE can navigate to and the video "embedded" to the web site. Well, I know what won't work... out of my league to know what will.

and the Engrish gives me a headache.

hahaha am I the only one that caught that? awesome

The problem I see with "browser" based remote clients for DVRs/ NVRs is most I've played with require Active X, meaning IE ONLY! Bummer. Not to mention they have to run some sort of plug in which requires admin rights and loose internet security settings... The average web user probably won't know how or have the patience to tweak all the settings, or know to hold down that "shift" to disable the pop up blocker...

I have a feeling this client is thinking of something as clean and simple as YouTube. Probably wants something ANYONE can navigate to and the video "embedded" to the web site. Well, I know what won't work... out of my league to know what will.

I dont know anything about flash as I looked at it a few years back and it could not do anything much and definately could not do what activeX could do, but now it seems to have total control (dangerous really) .. that might be what you are looking for .. no idea why no manufacturers have not hired flash coders and gone that route yet.

Ofcourse there is always Javascript .. Axis has really done a good job with their streaming, even their activeX control is sooo light and can stream video from pretty much any of their cameras .. i was testing it in my app along side the Geo activeX ... Axis blows Geo away in that regard.

I'll most likely use Nuuo for the application, the client is pretty familiar with it and would prefer to go with something he likes, any idea if Nuuo had developed a browser based app?

Yes, Nuuo has a browser based remote client. Requires Active X, admin rights, and a login though... probably NOT what your looking for.

Exacq has a browser interface with NO plugins, no ActiveX, and now playback and live, with more features, as of version 4.0, just released.

If you create an account on the Exacq with pass-through login (no authentication), you can request a URL stream with whatever parameters (resolution, etc) you want through it.

Thank you guys for all your help , will be trying Exacq, and the browser based from Nuuo.

I hope to do this one with Nuuo and exacq as it appear to be the best way to go.

Agree 1,000,000% ,will definitely do everything to avoid it!

Exacq has a browser interface with NO plugins, no ActiveX

What does it use? It has to use something, Javascript?

Exacq has a browser interface with NO plugins, no ActiveX

What does it use? It has to use something, Javascript?

Yes, Rory

They use 3 java script ( what I counted so far)

embedded in html page

from what i have seen it uses aspx via iis.

??

The two are not the same thing.

aspx = server-based scripting language (like php, perl, etc.)

iis = internet information services, aka Microsoft's all-in-one internet server application.

Other than the fact that ASP (as far as I know) only runs on IIS servers, there's no connection between the two.

from what i have seen it uses aspx via iis.

??

The two are not the same thing.

aspx = server-based scripting language (like php, perl, etc.)

iis = internet information services, aka Microsoft's all-in-one internet server application.

Other than the fact that ASP (as far as I know) only runs on IIS servers, there's no connection between the two.

i figure he means using aspx through IIS .. but still unless it is using META Refresh it has to use some kind of other technology to refresh the images or stream the video, eg. Javascript, Flash, Java, or another Plugin, etc. AK confirmed it uses javascript already.

Does anyone here tried FTP push?

Yes, I have used ftp with both Axis and Panasonic. The Axis implementation is relatively complete, but the Panasonic implementation can not create date/time folders, which means all files are upload to the same folder and will bring an OS to it's knees when trying to access a file among a bazillion other files. Eventually, I gave up on ftp and now use Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

yes i wrote via not vs. i didn't say they were the same thing either; hence the via part. i was just writing what i saw when looking them over. they could very well use javascript.

Does anyone here tried FTP push?

I was told by my supplier that it would be the best way to set such thing up.

If it a public web site, that is probably the way to go. If he wants to see himself the 8 cameras wherever he is, he could connect direct to the DVR. If he expects the images to be shown on a public web page (and seen by many people at the same time), it would probably be better to have the images uploaded to a ftp/web page, and from there have a page that autorefreshes and shows the images. Note that this would NOT be real time video, but more self updating images.

If your customer wants to show 8 live feeds to multiple viewers at the same time, he better have a very good internet connection wherever the DVR will be installed...