SouthernComfort

Unix DVR limited recording

Hi,

I have a Unix HQ-4D DVR w/ a 1T HDD. I have it set to record 24/7 realtime, all quality settings on high and to auto record over data when it runs out of room.

I tried to archive some footage from about a week ago, but the DVR won't let me look at any video past 4 days old (it has been overwritten I guess).

How many days of recording should I be able to get out of a 1T HDD when all settings are on continuous high/realtime?

The only thing that was weird that happened about a week ago, was one day I was watching the display, and all of a sudden if went out of record mode and a box came up stating that it was checking the HD integrity or something, then went back into record mode.

I contacted tech support, and they said it could be a bad sector in the HD so to reformat it and see if it helps. However, he did not know how long it would take to reformat the 1T HD.

So, before I start the reformat, how long will the whole process take? Will it take a few hours or days?

Thanks for the help!

I would think 1TB should last longer than that, but... what resolution are you recording at? I assume this machine records at max D1 or 4CIF (640x480 - 720x480)? What codec is it using (MEPG-4, MJPEG, etc.)?

A full format of a 1TB *should* take maybe a couple hours... at least, it does with Windows using NTFS. No idea how much time it will want with whatever it's using (probably ext3).

According to the disk space calculator here: http://video-insight.com/Support/Tools/Analog-Diskspace-Calculator.aspx

...four cameras, D1, 30fps, 24/7 recording, using MPEG-4 or WMV, 1TB should give you about 8 days. MJPEG with maximum frame quality only gives about two days, according to this.