eyecu

Racks

I never understood why racks are so expensive.

It has to do with the material that they use, plus some racks, believe it or not, have to adhere to FCC regulations regarding interferience, which means that the manufacturer can only use certain types of metals, usually some sort of alumminum to make the rack, and that metal is usually more expensive than cheaper alternatives.

At least that's the way it was explained to me a while ago

Chatsworth is a good one...

http://www.chatsworth.com/home.asp?id=1

And I like APW too. I use these swing out racks a lot. I even have one in my house:

http://www.apw.com/productsServices/productShowcase/raptor1056.jsp

They have camera housings too. This one is interesting:

http://www.apw.com/productsServices/productShowcase/ccsh-10mag.jsp

Yeah i sell that Mini mag housing, as well as their vandal resistant ones, also installed their parkikng garage version a while ago ... strong neat units .. cheap also, for what they do. .

Thanks for all the info, kaysadeya is right I did not expect them to be so expensive.

Dell do a very good rack. 608mm x 999mm footprint. Leaves loads of room for cable organisers, etc Casters, moveable vertical rails, Built-in vertical cable organisers, Split rear door. PC compatible racks.

Split rear door, lets you put the racks close to a wall and still get past with doors open.

PC compatible. PC servers need airflow front to back. Older Unix systems require bottom to top cooling. PC compatible have vented front and rear doors. Put a HP/compaq, Dell, or any other type of PC server in a solid door rack and you will cook them.

Cable organisers. Panduit have the best I've seen

Power boards. I am experimenting with APC 42u vertical powerboards. They arrive next week, Let you know how they go.

Sliding trays. Got 20 coming from APC next week

Generic Cable arms. Again 2 weeks away from APC.

Sounds like the customer supplied Dell enclosure I installed 2 weeks ago. I don't have a picture with the doors on...

23451_2.jpg

Funny you should say that. The enclosure shown in my last post has a Middle Atlantic Vertical power strip installed.

23494_1.gif

Looking for RACKS? Check out Delta Designs @ (888-335-8299) and let know that David sent you. I design surveillance systems and have always used thier racks. They also have the best price on the market...