Does anybody know what Mobotix charges for a password reset on a camera, and who/where to send it?

you can only send them back to mobotix though a mobotix dealer. you will need more than just a password reset. so have a full factory update. and they will ask you the history of the camera. (remember they do)

Does anybody know what Mobotix charges for a password reset on a camera, and who/where to send it?

you can only send them back to mobotix though a mobotix dealer. you will need more than just a password reset. so have a full factory update. and they will ask you the history of the camera. (remember they do)

Wait...so let me get this correct....there is no manual push button reset switch on one of the most advanced cameras available? Dang thats a real deal blower, spending the extra cash is just BS put the downtime you will face is even worse.

ex. send it in overnight, they fix it in one day and overnight it back to you, total time frame 3 days, and probably like $100, so for 3 days your client would be without security from that camera, and as you know mysterious stuff like theft, assault and sexual harassment and what not always will start to happen with the absence of a camera.

*EDIT*

Apparently you can reset to factory defaults but still have to send it into the factory for a main admin password. First time I've heard of something like this....kinda BS.

Wait...so let me get this correct....there is no manual push button reset switch on one of the most advanced cameras available? Dang thats a real deal blower, spending the extra cash is just BS put the downtime you will face is even worse.

ex. send it in overnight, they fix it in one day and overnight it back to you, total time frame 3 days, and probably like $100, so for 3 days your client would be without security from that camera, and as you know mysterious stuff like theft, assault and sexual harassment and what not always will start to happen with the absence of a camera.

*EDIT*

Apparently you can reset to factory defaults but still have to send it into the factory for a main admin password. First time I've heard of something like this....kinda BS.

gfdcxgfd. so yes you still need to send the camera back. no it mobotix cameras dont have a reset button. and the way the mobotix works is not BS. if you are the original installer then you have no problems at all you can change settings on site. and as you know mobotix cameras are expensive. so let say you buy an external mobotix and a few weeks later some scum bag steals the camera. do you know you have an 80% chance of getting the camera back. the mobotix system works very well and it also stops 3rd party installers messing with the camera.

gfdcxgfd. so yes you still need to send the camera back. no it mobotix cameras dont have a reset button. and the way the mobotix works is not BS. if you are the original installer then you have no problems at all you can change settings on site. and as you know mobotix cameras are expensive. so let say you buy an external mobotix and a few weeks later some scum bag steals the camera. do you know you have an 80% chance of getting the camera back. the mobotix system works very well and it also stops 3rd party installers messing with the camera.

Hey Tom, I am not saying Mobotix is a BS company. I'm just saying that if you payed for it then why your not allowed to reset without sending it back is bs, the downtime and extra cost associated is just unnecessary and way to risky. Once its installed it shouldn't be down unless a total catastrophe or at least have some kind of a backup, after all this is the security industry.

EX: A doctor cannot make it to the work to perform a necessary surgery, then what is the hospital gunna do? wait till the doctor gets better and risk losing the patients life or have another doctor on standby?

just for reference:

In regards to getting the camera back if it gets stolen, I assume they have a way of searching for its mac address or something once the thief hooks it back to the internet? thats interesting, I did not know that, although you can easily steal it for your own use, and never hook it to the internet then i assume that is the 20% chance of not getting it back? Just curious you got any link or anything from Mobotix that mentions this, its a pretty neat service for peace of mind.

In regards to stopping the 3rd party installers thats another BS thing right there. If my client is not happy with my service and paid me in full, then I believe they have the right to go to another installer and let them maintain/work on the system.

Also you can argue that this is not a big deal if you are the orignal installer, which I agree with you, but my argument is to protect the client/end user. I don't know about everyone else but when I install a system, I give my client all of the information from admin username/passwords for the system, dvr program, remote client, vnc, pretty much everything, if they paid in full, they should get in full.

I'm having second thoughts about becoming certified from Mobotix, although I doubt they would care about my concerns as I'm just another ant in the pile.

*EDIT*

I just can't justify supporting a company that will try to capitalize on every little thing.

Cost to overnight it there and back roughly $75-$100 depending on where you're located plus the factory charge of $100. So close to $200 to just reset the password, and the cost for a new camera is roughly ~$1100 from an authorized dealer.

Take the geovision analog system for example, forgot your password? No problem, just run regedit, delete a couple of entries, and bham your up and running with only 10-15 minutes of downtime max.

Forgot the password on your Mobotix? $200 and 3 days later you get it back, and then installation so 3-4 days downtime, yeah i don't know about ya'll but this is just ridiculous.

*Note keep in mind, most system intregrators have employees, lets say one of your employee is unhappy with you (the boss), decides he wants to quit, but before that he will change the admin password along with the settings on all of the mobotix cameras you may have installed....so if he has access to 10 mobotix cameras, then your screwed out of $1200 plus cost to have another worker reconfigure and install and so on.

sorry for the rambling.....

why not be a mobotix installer. go on a tranning day.

if you know the camera and installed it then no you will never have to send it back for reset. you only need do this if you dont know the camera passwords and user name. and without these you cant get the camera working. even if you get a stolen one it has to go back it will never work till its reset. and as far as getting it back when stolen. on mobotix you can install your company details into the camera. and this can only be removed by mobotix if stolen.

I already have a handful of Mobotix cameras installed, but am not a certified Mobotix installer (I do systems on a small scale for friends/family, and I'm a DIY guy, but I love Mobotix's stuff)

So are you saying if I send the non-stolen (but used) camera back that's currently in my possession, they won't give me the time of day?

You can't be serious.

I already have a handful of Mobotix cameras installed, but am not a certified Mobotix installer (I do systems on a small scale for friends/family, and I'm a DIY guy, but I love Mobotix's stuff)

So are you saying if I send the non-stolen (but used) camera back that's currently in my possession, they won't give me the time of day?

You can't be serious.

no am not saying that. infact they will look after you very well. the last camera i sent back was a Q24 to have the mic reset this had a cost of £120. but i took it to the uk mobotix office as i am only 11 mile from it. it might be cheaper if you book a trainning day with mobotix and take your camera with you. thay might over look the cost.

The other reason Mobotix does this because the local storage. If someone steals the camera and you are recording to the SD card you can not view the images without the password even if you pull the SD card out and put it in another camera.

You can't be serious.

no am not saying that. infact they will look after you very well. the last camera i sent back was a Q24 to have the mic reset this had a cost of £120. but i took it to the uk mobotix office as i am only 11 mile from it. it might be cheaper if you book a trainning day with mobotix and take your camera with you. thay might over look the cost.

That's a thought. At least I'm not SOL.

I suppose that's intuitive... it wouldn't make economic sense for them to ignore the secondary market. At least it wouldn't make sense to me.

Can't say I'm impressed with their customer service so far...

Anyone care to share a name/number/email of a contact person at Mobotix? You don't have to post it here... PM is fine.

I've emailed them the information twice, and have yet to receive an RMA number.

Interestingly, it's impossible to get somebody on the phone up in NY. Calling tech support is pointless... the number rings about five times, then advises that all operators are busy, and to email them about the problem... then it cuts you off. There isn't even an option to hold for the next available tech support person.

Sheesh.

Even the DMV gives you an option of taking a number and waiting.

Can't say I'm impressed with their customer service so far...

Anyone care to share a name/number/email of a contact person at Mobotix? You don't have to post it here... PM is fine.

I've emailed them the information twice, and have yet to receive an RMA number.

Interestingly, it's impossible to get somebody on the phone up in NY. Calling tech support is pointless... the number rings about five times, then advises that all operators are busy, and to email them about the problem... then it cuts you off. There isn't even an option to hold for the next available tech support person.

Sheesh.

Even the DMV gives you an option of taking a number and waiting.

no point asking them for a RMA No. this is for returning goods bought from them.

MOBOTIX CORP

40 Fulton Street, Suite 901

New York, NY 10038

USA

Phone: +1-212-385-6126

Toll free: +1-888 MOBOTIX

Fax: +1-212-385-6129

us-info@mobotix.com

www.mobotix.com

Just doing what they told me to do... and getting nowhere.

It would be nice to speak to a real live person... but apparently that's not how they do business.

Mobotix USA only has a small staff and a bunch are at the ISC West show right now in Vegas.

From our understanding, Mobotix wants customers to only deal with the integrators or installers who sold the camera and then provide support when needed to these partners.

This is one concern we have had with the company, is that they still view the cameras as a specialty industrial product. I have had many discussions on how IP Cameras are now considered a retail product, in most cases not needing an installer to configure or install. We sell quite a few units monthly and these go mostly to homeowners and Company IT departments.

Your best bet is to contact your reseller who you purchased from, or if you bought the item used, contact a local VAR and see if they can get things started. We have gained many new Mobotix customers from other dealers who did not want to deal with a single camera sale and the support, so if you still have trouble getting help, and are in the US PM us and we can try to pass things up through our channels if all else fails.

Mobotix USA only has a small staff and a bunch are at the ISC West show right now in Vegas.

From our understanding, Mobotix wants customers to only deal with the integrators or installers who sold the camera and then provide support when needed to these partners.

This is one concern we have had with the company, is that they still view the cameras as a specialty industrial product. I have had many discussions on how IP Cameras are now considered a retail product, in most cases not needing an installer to configure or install. We sell quite a few units monthly and these go mostly to homeowners and Company IT departments.

Your best bet is to contact your reseller who you purchased from, or if you bought the item used, contact a local VAR and see if they can get things started. We have gained many new Mobotix customers from other dealers who did not want to deal with a single camera sale and the support, so if you still have trouble getting help, and are in the US PM us and we can try to pass things up through our channels if all else fails.

That's just great.... what a shame Mobotix chooses to do business that way. It leaves the end-user out in the cold. As you pointed out, that pretty much sucks for an end-user dealing with a reseller who may or may not be interested in supporting a residential end-user... or small-volume installer... or support on a third-party sale.

I appreciate the offer of assistance... but let me see if Mobotix will work with me before I take any more of anybody else's time.

EDIT: I forgot about the ISC show. We'll see what they can do this coming week.

Update:

Mobotix did come through... and they did perform the password reset.

This service apparently has to be done through/coordinated with a dealer or Mobotix partner. Now that I know how this process works, I'm sure I'll be able to work it faster the next time.

So they WILL support the end-user... with a little help from a dealer... and interestingly, it doesn't look like it matters very much WHICH dealer you go through. I'm sure they're counting on their dealer/partner network to triage some of their support issues... and that's fair enough.

Just an FYI for other Mobotix users.

Because other IP cameras have an external reset button that allows the admin password to be reset to the factory default, there is an expectation that MOBOTIX cameras should also do the same. It can be especially frustrating for an installer who takes over a site, for example, where there are MOBOTIX cameras installed and no one knows the admin password.

However there is a very good reason for the MOBOTIX admin password reset policy.

We've put uploaded a video YouTube that covers this subject. To view just cut and past this link into your browser. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_oX2NsnuIE

Mobotix charges $150.00 to reset the password.

It is important that the password is safely kept... preferably by the integrator rather than by the owner!

Giving the admin password to an owner while the system is under your responsibility is very VERY risky (for the integrator). All owners will tell you that they just want to have the password "just in case", the truth is that "curiosity kills the fish".

Many end users believe they are more knowledgeable than the integrator that probably has 100's or 1000's of hours of hands on experience configuring these "complicated-to-configure" cameras and they can do a better job. Of course, when they screw up, they end up call you to say that either the camera sucks or that you did a lousy job.

At any rate, you must return to fix their mess. For that reason, we do not give the admin pw to a customer unless they sign a letter of satisfaction/waiver.

Mobotix cameras are the best cameras in the market. Their software is unlike anything else! As people get to know these cameras better, they will start dissapearing! Big surprise to the new user when he finds out the cam has a pw!

If the integrator did his job correctly, Mobotix will know who the last rightful owner of the camera was, and will be able to return it.

Hope this helps from the flip side of the coin!

Yes, we do. Even though it has a lot of room for improvement, the advantages it offers are very valuable.

We realize it is a bit overwhelming for the end user (vs. the MxEasy and other vms's) but, once the customer is thoroughly trained to use it, they also find the advantages.