archik100

Type of Screen/Monitor

I understand that cctv's usually use coax with BNC connectors.

Most [computer] monitors today come with VGA, various types of DVI's and some with HDMI. A few also come with S-connectors and composite.

My question:

Should I look for specific connectors for the monitors I buy to solely view the cctv feed and I'll have to buy some converters, or should I look for a specific connector?

If I should, what kind of connector?

My current setup on one monitor uses two (!) converters to get the feed to the monitor and the result is a horrible feed on a mighty good display.

Am I missing something and there are special displays for this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Ben

Standard analog CCTV uses composite video, so if your monitor has a composite RCA input, you can just use a BNC-to-RCA adapter to feed that input:

123419_1.jpg

Got it.

So that means no converters, only something like this?

This also means that we'll have no video quality loss as well. (Other than the length of the cable.)

Great. Now why did all these manufacturers stop making this input? I'll end up paying way more for a monitor just because it has it.

Got it.

This also means that we'll have no video quality loss as well. (Other than the length of the cable.)

Great. Now why did all these manufacturers stop making this input? I'll end up paying way more for a monitor just because it has it.

if you are using pc based dvrs then the adapter is no good. this will only work of av tv inputs. best off using flat screen tv monitors with all connection types plus vga. for all installs.

Tom,

So which input is the one I should be looking for? And, would that need a converter?

I'm not talking about the monitor connected to the computer. I'm talking about the viewing monitors in other rooms, which use coax.

Tom,

So which input is the one I should be looking for? And, would that need a converter?

I'm not talking about the monitor connected to the computer. I'm talking about the viewing monitors in other rooms, which use coax.

how is the monitor connected to your dvr ie coax or vga. and do you control your dvr with a mouse ? then if not the connectors listed will be fine. used off the mointor output on your dvr.

Got it.

Correct.

Correct.

However, if your monitor has a higher physical pixel resolution than NTSC video (or worse, is a widescreen display), and doesn't have good upscaling, the picture could still look like crap (although probably not as bad as you're getting now).

Composite in general, or just BNC?

You can still find LCD monitors with one or more composite BNC inputs... but they tend to be specialized toward professional uses and thus more expensive. Consumer TVs have RCA inputs for connecting games, older DVD players and the like, but you'll pay more for the tuner and multiple other inputs.

Thanks Matt!

Tom,

There is a regular DVI cable that goes to the monitor that operates the computer. I'm not discussing that one. I'm discussing the output of the DVR card. That's composite, I guess. (I'm using the NV500.)

This composite then goes into the wall as a coax, which comes out again in the kitchen, for example, and adapts again to the composite input of the monitor.

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks Matt!

Tom,

There is a regular DVI cable that goes to the monitor that operates the computer. I'm not discussing that one. I'm discussing the output of the DVR card. That's composite, I guess. (I'm using the NV500.)

This composite then goes into the wall as a coax, which comes out again in the kitchen, for example, and adapts again to the composite input of the monitor.

Thanks,

Ben

hi ben then soundy is right with the addaptor. sorry thought you was controlling your aver with a mouse. but the way you are doing it you could also use the remote control for the nv composite output.

I am, but from a different monitor that does connect using DVI.

I am planning to buy a remote, however. I just wonder if the remote would work so far away from the computer (where the other monitor with the mouse is) where I guess the USB base must be placed.

With the advent of HDTV, more and more TVs are being produced without analog composite inputs. I was recently asked by someone how to hook up an older satellite TV receiver to a 26" TV. I was quite surprised when I discovered that the monitor only had component, DVI, VGA and HDMI inputs. The satellite receiver only had composite, S-Video and RF outputs. The only simple method to connect the two was the RF signal from the receiver's modulator.

However, if your monitor has a higher physical pixel resolution than NTSC video (or worse, is a widescreen display), and doesn't have good upscaling, the picture could still look like crap (although probably not as bad as you're getting now).

I'm finding some modestly priced LCD's and TV's that do have composite inputs, but they're all widescreens.

Is it worth going with old models with weak specs (like 16ms response times) rather than a widescreen?

I wouldn't worry so much about lower response times on these; you're not playing video games or watching sports. Worst case, there's a little motion-ghosting when something moves through quickly, but that's only on the display, it's not recorded that way.

Well, not inherently "worse". If your set automatically stretches 4:3 images to fill the screen, they'll look distorted, of course (most can be set to NOT stretch, instead leaving black bars on the left and right sides). It CAN look a lot worse on cheap sets that do poor stretching/upscaling.

I took down the screen with all the converters attached to it, and put up an old screen that has a composite input. I used a simple BNC Female to RCA Male Adapter and presto, a beauty.

The only issue now is that every time the rotates to a different feed, the small composite logo shows on the corner, as if I'm turning on the screen now. There's also some flashing as it rotates. But its still worth it.

Any suggestions for brightness and contrast?

I'm still looking around online for more monitors. Is composite the only one which connects so directly? (VGA is out of the question.)

Ben

I took down the screen with all the converters attached to it, and put up an old screen that has a composite input. I used a simple BNC Female to RCA Male Adapter and presto, a beauty.

The only issue now is that every time the rotates to a different feed, the small composite logo shows on the corner, as if I'm turning on the screen now. There's also some flashing as it rotates. But its still worth it.

Probably because the screen thinks that the signal has gone away (which, technically, it has, for an instant) and may be wanting to start cycling inputs to find another valid signal. You could check the settings for an option to not auto-seek inputs.

Any suggestions for brightness and contrast?

Whatever looks good to you, in that particular viewing location.

I'm still looking around online for more monitors. Is composite the only one which connects so directly? (VGA is out of the question.)

There are monitors that support just about any imaginable type of input(s). A bigger concern would be what you can get out of the DVR: DVRs typically only support composite and VGA out, although some newer ones also support DVI, and a few old ones also support S-video out.

Realistically, composite is probably your only option.

Well, not inherently "worse". If your set automatically stretches 4:3 images to fill the screen, they'll look distorted, of course (most can be set to NOT stretch, instead leaving black bars on the left and right sides). It CAN look a lot worse on cheap sets that do poor stretching/upscaling.

Also on alot of displays when you use black side bars you will get screen burn in, but if you are only using the monitor for 1 use I guess so what. You can still get burn in with grey side bars just not as quickly.

Some DVR's will allow you to change the screen resolution will will drastically help when running higher resolution LCD type monitors. I also suggest looking for a DVR that adapts to yours and the markets needs. The ICRealtime DVR's we run have an HDMI output for the monitor, and it rocks!

Thanks Matt,

One more Q:

I see some monitors being sold that have composite as an option in Sync Signal. Does this mean that it has a composite connector?

Example: (Manufacturer link.)

http://www.samsung.com/baltic/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/monitor/monitor/LS19MYAKBB/EDC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec&fullspec=F

That means it can use a composite signal for video sync... it doesn't necessarily mean it can DISPLAY a composite signal (I would bet not). Either way, the only listed input is a VGA HD-15 connector, so you'd need an appropriate adapter to connect a composite feed to it.