osueng

ebay PTZ Review?

Hey guys (this is my first post),

I am putting together a single camera PTZ system for my house. The project is still in the planning phase, so I am shopping for equipment. I have already picked out my solar panels and battery system, rs485 and video transceivers and outdoor electronics housing.(This unit will be placed in high tree, wires are impracticable.) The part I am hung up on is the camera.

This is my first time dealing with security cameras (I am studying electrical engineering, so the electronics part comes fairly easily.) I was looking at a camera from ebay. It's a fairly cheap one from (it looks like) china. I really don't have $1,000-$2,000 to spend on a Pelco or Bosch camera as I already went over budget on the electronics. I know you get what you pay for and buying a camera from china (ebay none the less) is a huge gamble.

So my question is, has anybody had any experience with these Chinese ebay cameras? Can you comment on the quality or post videos from your system if you have one?

Alternatively, can you recommend a good outdoor PTZ for under $500?

Here is a link to the unit I am considering :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170387284323

Thanks for the help,

Brad

Hey guys (this is my first post),

Alternatively, can you recommend a good outdoor PTZ for under $500?

Brad

Not gonna happen, save your money and get a quality one.

Thanks for your post.

It's not really a matter of "saving my money"....there was a certain amount of money allotted for this project, and with everything else already picked out, it leaves about $500 dollars for the camera. So let me rephrase my question: For $500, what's the best I can do?

Here's another question, the camera might be bad quality, but is the pan/tilt mechanism good quality? I am still new to the whole camera thing, so I don't know what's good and bad. Speed isn't that big of a deal to me. If I could by a camera/lens of decent quality to switch with what it comes with, would that work?

Again, any help is appreciated.

Brad

Thanks for your post.

It's not really a matter of "saving my money"....there was a certain amount of money allotted for this project, and with everything else already picked out, it leaves about $500 dollars for the camera. So let me rephrase my question: For $500, what's the best I can do?

Here's another question, the camera might be bad quality, but is the pan/tilt mechanism good quality? I am still new to the whole camera thing, so I don't know what's good and bad. Speed isn't that big of a deal to me. If I could by a camera/lens of decent quality to switch with what it comes with, would that work?

Again, any help is appreciated.

Brad

its from ebay. and you are already talking about changing the internal camera. you have only $500 of your budget left WHY SPEND IT ON CRAP. you should have looked at this before you ordered one.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20643

Thanks for your help. I haven't ordered it yet....that's why I am here...

I always appreciate links to literature to read...but I'm a little lost on the one you posted?

Can you explain a little more?

So check, don't buy from ebay....what are some good sources for security equipment? Are used systems a viable option.

I understand you guys don't really like stupid questions from the "new guy," but I am here to learn. I have a large interest in flying model airplanes, and a lot of times I see kids at the field with their little planes. Most of the time they can't get them to fly straight or anything and they come to the members of our club asking questions. Instead of telling them what a piece of **** their plane is and telling them to save their money and buy a big boy plane, I actually sit down and teach them about what they are getting into.

Maybe you guys could start something like that?

You are on a forum...obviously you came here to get help and help others....but I don't really see that.

Thanks for taking the time to respond....but the heart just wasn't there.

I'll try Google some more.

Brad

It is not so much an attack on anyone in particular, as it is an almost "knee jerk" reaction to that kind of product, that you are seeing. Myself, and almost everyone here (except the spammers) have some pretty strong feelings about recommending product of that type to anyone (see, we were actually trying to be nice to you, we just came off a little harsh!)

My recommendation would be to try and find a good used name brand PTZ, (Pelco, etc),before I would consider some of that offshore no-name stuff, if your budget is really fixed at that price.

It is not so much an attack on anyone in particular, as it is an almost "knee jerk" reaction to that kind of product, that you are seeing. Myself, and almost everyone here (except the spammers) have some pretty strong feelings about recommending product of that type to anyone (see, we were actually trying to be nice to you, we just came off a little harsh!)

My recommendation would be to try and find a good used name brand PTZ, (Pelco, etc),before I would consider some of that offshore no-name stuff, if your budget is really fixed at that price.

+1 i dont think anyone on the forum is nasty at all to new or old posters. and i think the knowledge guys on here give will save people $1000s. its like a guy on the other nite gv 16 way card from ebay $75 he thinks its going to just slot into his pc and away it goes. gv dont do cards for $75 so he has a copy or bad card that is either cheap crap or does not work. the sh#t i got from him on here and pm. i was only trying to save him money

you can look at putting an indoor ptz cam in a dome with a blower. it's been done plenty of times before. take a look at vivotek ptz cams for starters and quote some outdoor domes with blowers.