sparkz

CnM Secure 4 Channel H.264 DVR

Hi All

Success at last,

You also have to Port forward the Media Port 9000.

Ill post all settings for internet access here later as im off to work now.

Anyone need more help then drop me a message as ill be away at work for 2 weeks, will have e-mail but dont know if ill be able to get on here

Regards

Dave

Hi George

The firmware on my box is also T103025.

A friend suggested I look for an FCC compliance mark on the box as this should include a manufacturer's code that could allow a trace to the original maker - there wasn't one though.

However, I can't see a CE mark anywhere either (and there was no certificate of conformity in the manual). It is actually illegal for Maplin to sell goods in the UK without this mark. Has anyone else seen a CE mark on the product? If not I might be tempted to use this as a lever to get a decent response from Maplin.

PHil H

hi all

this is my first posting...

i have been browsing around for a CCtv system and it seemed the

CnM Secure 4 Channel H.264 500gb

Digital Video Recorder with 4 Camera Security Kit

average price 275pounds is the only reasonable priced cctv system around in the market however

most of you seem to have some problem configuring the kit. I am looking to buy it Very soon ; is it really worth it? the quality of the viewing is it crisp clear? is the internet configuration minor, i have talktalk and ordered to have static ip? can it record sound as well?

PLease your feedback is most appreciated

thank you.

Hi Phil,

As mentioned I have the Maplins version of this unit badged under the name of Sentient, so it would seem the CnM units sold on Amazon are from the same manufacturer. More to the point, the box that my unit was supplied in has a CE approval mark and it is also RoHS compliant as well (no lead solder etc), 2002/95/EC.

Regards

George.

Hi Ella

Ive had this system for a few months now, and despite problems setting it up on the internet, mainly due to the fact that id not tried anything like that before, i have found the system to be perfect for my needs, I have even caught a potential Burglar with it, Twice!! The Police were able to identify the chap and comented on how good the picture quality was.

I also have Talk Talk but have a dynamic IP and use dynDNS with an update client running on my home PC.

The update client in the DVR does not work very well with dynDNS..?

Currently i have it running at Highest resolution, and the picture quality over the interrnet is the same as the quality when viewed over my LAN at home. You can also download from the DVR over the internet so the file quality is the same as when viewed on the DVR. I use a 3G connection when travelling for work without problems.

The translation into English of the manual is a bit poor, but there are plenty of forums like this one where help is avaliable.

Hope this helps..

If you decide to purchase and need any help with set up drop me a message via this page.

Regards

Dave

Hi - Dave

Re: "..a dynamic IP and use dynDNS with an update client running on my home PC.....". ---- How did you disable the update client running under the DVR firmware?

Phil

Hi George

You're right the carton it was supplied in does carry CE and RoHS marks. I'm not sure though whether this fully complies, my understanding is that the item itself had to carry CE mark (and the manual include a certificate of conformity indicating which EU deirectives apply - in this case just EMC I guess).

I e-mailed both CnM and Maplin again. I've had a reply from Jason Burden at CnM -

"....... Howver there are no updates to the firmware for these machines.. If there is any change there will be an update to the CnM Lifestyle website as soon as it becomes available.......".

No reply from Maplin....

Phil

Hi Dave

Thanks for that. Ive now got the system working over the internet!

I turned DDNS to OFF (although even in this state, I guess its important that the settings behind it are correct, so best to turn on - make the settings quickly before it has time to flood the DNS server, and turn it off again).

I had another problem in that I hadn't enabled Port 9000 on my Netgear DG834G router, but once I did this, I was cooking with gas.

In the meantime, I've had a reply from Maplin, telling me to ring KMS is 02920 713713 - I think this is mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I did ring, and they asked me to e-mail them, and they would send comprehensive details as to how to set it up. A bit academic now I've got it working myself.

I've actually followed this up further with a bug list and a request for firmware upgrade as soon a one is available. Bugs I am concerned about (besides the flooding issue) are:-

Support for daylight saving doesn't work properly - the DST end time seems to randomly reset itself (possibly when the system resets) to equal the start time. This is really annoying because if, as currently, we are in DST, the clock spuriously gets set back to the wrong time.

You can't set the time over the LAN or WAN. I have to plug a monitor into the unit to do it. Again annoying, particularly because of the above issue.

The motion detect trigger zones cannot properly be set over the LAN or WAN. The zone matrix appears but there is no video image to set the zones against.

For some reason on my PC when I open the system up over the LAN, it's fine as long as I don't plug in my secondary monitor. If I do this, the screen is displayed O.K. but there is no video - strange and very annoying. I have to unplug my second monitor if I want to look at what's going on outside!

In Playback, there is no reverse button (at normal speed or single frame or slow speed) - very annoying when examining a record. You have to start from the begining every time and judge when to freeze it.

In Playback, the play bar at the bottom of the screen doesn't seem to work properly. It can be moved backwards with the mouse, but playback always jump forward to the original position.

If anyone has any more bugs, let me know and I will add them to the list.....

Phil

PS Is everyone aware of the parallel topic on this site "Sentient PVR access via the internet not working".

Hi,

Been following thread for a couple of weeks, as I have one of these systems on order, it is actually delayed hope to get it end of week. Got it from cclonline.com apparently a really good price £250 inc vat?

I had no knowledge about these things, until I purchased an IP camera (Y-Cam). That took me many days of searching to get it working, seems it is all to do with port forwarding, it's working great now. As for dyndns.org, I have my router set to auto update dyndns.org under ddns settings, and I kept getting blocked for abusive updates, I did not realise that my router was updating also! dyndns advise to turn off hardware updaters (router) and use their software update client (they would though). Can you set the dyndns update client to update the DVR, and switch off the DVR updater?

Looking forward to receiving the kit, thanks for a really useful thread.

Regards,

Frenchbob

France

Well, after 3 weeks of waiting, the supplier has let me down! So It looks like I must get a refund and need to look elswhere. Any one know where I can buy this camera kit from?

Regards,

Bob

Hi I'm new to the forum but would like to add my recent experience with the CNM DVR H.264 KIT,

I purchased mine from [edit by mod, store link removed], speedy delivery with telephone support, which i needed!,

They could not help with Network setup but did give me contact details of someone who could. I contacted ' mrjohnlockett@#######.com ' who replied and told me to download

'TEAM VIEWER' (trial version) which i did, he left me a contact telephone number (which i won't post)

He then remotely configured my NETGEAR DG834 router and my CNM DVR,

10 mins later 'HEY PRESTO' working A1 over LAN & WAN, He did this all F.O.C. although i am going to send him a gift voucher or something to say thank you! this ended 2 weeks of head scratching for me. I had tried all kind of port forward and other settings with no joy,

For the price this DVR is mint, and this guy deserves a medal for setting it up!

hi ive got 4 channel cnm dvr, works over internet fine, but cant find an app to open it on iphone someone said dmss app , this connects but wont show any video , has anyone else got a way of viewing over iphone

thanks

hi ive got 4 channel cnm dvr, works over internet fine, but cant find an app to open it on iphone someone said dmss app , this connects but wont show any video , has anyone else got a way of viewing over iphone

thanks

Check the DVR settings, chances are it will use a differtent port for mobile access often something like 15961

Hi all,

I've just bought one of these boxes (CnM version) and although a bit clunky it is actually not bad for the money compared with buying a quad-port card and fiddling about with Linux.

Does anyone know what the username/password is for the embedded Linux available on port 23 (Telnet). I've tried the admin/user password and combinations with root but none work.

Also has anyone the URLs to bypass the active-X and access the streams or jpgs directly? e.g. http://:8080/path_to_stream

Many thanks

Ian

A thought (although I would still be interested in the command line )

I guess I could enable the 3G phone option which presumably uses RTSP and then access those streams directly...

has anyone sucessfully been able to play backed up videos from this unit?

ive spend a few hours this evening installing various codecs without sucess....

Help!?

to answer my own question...there is a a program on the mini CD that came with the DVR....playback.exe im not sure who its made by...or if there is a more up to date version as this one is buggy as hell and there are no instructions...however i have been able to view the files now

Hi I too have spent many hours trying to work out why I cannot gain access to allow my 4 camera cctv system to be even viewed locally on my network let alone be able to view it remotely!

I have tried changing the media & web ports from 9000 to 9005 & from 80 to 85 as I have a media server set up on mt network already I did not know if this was causing the problem.

I am using a BT homehub2 & have set up a new user defined game & called it cctv server but the details shown earlier about port forwarding to the mac address of the dvr I am havving trouble understanding.

All I can find out how to do is map the port range 85-85 to translate to 85-85 tcp & trigger zero then I have done this for 9005 to 9005 translate to 9005 t0 9005 tcp & trigger zero then this is combined to the mac address & applied in the bt home hub2.

I can only see the dvr as an attached mac address connected & I can also see it via Mcaphee in network setup as a device with a ? & it will only allow me to hide the item nto allow it.

I have spent 3 hours on the phone to an IT guru but am still no further.

I have the dvr set to dhcp with the media & web ports as above I have also tried it as a static IP address.

I have set up with dyndns as a host & have set up the dns ip & DDNS set up as per my agreed host name user name & password.

I have also loaded up the supplied playback software but cannot see anything in the source box which I am not suprised when I cannot see it on my network.

Please can someone give me some advise on setting up the BT homehub2???

Hi I too have spent many hours trying to work out why I cannot gain access to allow my 4 camera cctv system to be even viewed locally on my network let alone be able to view it remotely!

I have tried changing the media & web ports from 9000 to 9005 & from 80 to 85 as I have a media server set up on mt network already I did not know if this was causing the problem.

I am using a BT homehub2 & have set up a new user defined game & called it cctv server but the details shown earlier about port forwarding to the mac address of the dvr I am havving trouble understanding.

All I can find out how to do is map the port range 85-85 to translate to 85-85 tcp & trigger zero then I have done this for 9005 to 9005 translate to 9005 t0 9005 tcp & trigger zero then this is combined to the mac address & applied in the bt home hub2.

I can only see the dvr as an attached mac address connected & I can also see it via Mcaphee in network setup as a device with a ? & it will only allow me to hide the item nto allow it.

I have spent 3 hours on the phone to an IT guru but am still no further.

I have the dvr set to dhcp with the media & web ports as above I have also tried it as a static IP address.

I have set up with dyndns as a host & have set up the dns ip & DDNS set up as per my agreed host name user name & password.

I have also loaded up the supplied playback software but cannot see anything in the source box which I am not suprised when I cannot see it on my network.

Please can someone give me some advise on setting up the BT homehub2???

Hi cview. remove your settings from the game list. you have to creat your own service on the bt home hub. also who is your isp will they give you a static ip.

Hi Tomcctv BT is my broadband supplier at the moment I was told to set up an additional item in the games list of the bthub to allow me to set up the port forwarding you cannot edit an existing service.

Unless you know different, I have been looking into switching providers & have no signed up with plusnet who can supply me with a static IP address as an additional option to the service.

So it looks like I shall be going though this again once the transfer takes place.

But I would still like to know how to set up the hub to forwad both the web & media port to the cctv systems IP address or as at present its mac code.

I am sure it is easy if you know what you are doing but it appears to be spacific for individual hubs I just need to know how on the BT homehub2?

Guys,

You can login to the command line (busybox server) via telnet on port 23.

username=root and password=123456 - its a standard Linux command set and you can browse the raw files. I had a quick poke around but didn't see a mail command so I assume this is built into the DVR executable - however I am sure you can ftp.

If you are on a shared LAN change this rather simple password ASAP!

Regards

Ian

Guys,

I also found an iPhone/iPod Touch app called aPlayer - it seems to expire after a while. You can connect to any of the streams. Keep the username blank and enter just password (as you would via the IE plugin).

What I really would like to know is how I do this in Firefox and not having to use the IE plug-in... I can't establish the URL to send for the H.264 stream.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

Edit not to worry got it working...

Ppl with iphone download aplyer or remoteeye

in cnm settings have it set to 36 and a port no e.g. 10080

configure this port in your router to forward to ur cnm dvr. Note do not use same port as webport or media port which is what I did DOH!!!

ok can ppl save files via pc ?? in windows 7 nothing gets saved ?

harmzz - you got it working then - just leave username blank? The app seems fairly unstable and as mentioned it expires - Apple have let it in the Appstore with very little English information and certainly no mention of the expiry - makes me wonder if they are at risk of letting in some malware sooner or later.

I did find the CnM device appears to have similar (if not the same) software as the Q-See QSD9004:

http://q-see.com/support/view-product-files.php?FirmwareProductId=166&ProductId=166&ModelNbr=QSD9004&DVRModelNbr=QSD9004&fn=SOFTWARE

Warning: there is a free desktop viewer at the above link which looks very similar to the IE Active X but I couldn't get it to accept the password (login failed) remotely (the DVR is at my parents house). It also seems to break the Active X and since I installed it I haven't been able to use the IE viewer!

I just wish I could connect to a stream from vlc, firefox or similar... I don't trust Active-X and IE and would also like to take snapshots from another system to present to a webpage.

Cheers

Ian