Sorry to start another thread but I think I am getting somewhere now. Thanks for all the replies I have had so far.

I have decided to use Arecont cameras. I like the range of cameras they have and they are also affordable for me in the UK.

First of all, how is there own software, AV 100? I don't mind if it is a pain to setup as long as it works reliably. I assume that you have to use their own software to use the on camera motion detection?

Secondly, how much better are their dual lens day/night cameras compared to the cameras with an IR cut filter? Any comparison shots?

And thirdly, is there any difference between the 1300DN and the 1310DN other than the size and that the compact one has less lens options? I want to put a 50mm lens on it.

Finally, one of the cameras will be watching a gate about 50 metres away as I have mentioned before.

What Arecont camera would you suggest for this job? There is limited light at the moment but I will probably install some floodlighting (white light).

I am thinking of a 2100DN with 50mm lens. Should be plenty good enough day time, not sure about night time?

First of all, how is there own software, AV 100? I don't mind if it is a pain to setup as long as it works reliably. I assume that you have to use their own software to use the on camera motion detection?

AV100 does work, but not best solution. Get something like Luxriot if you are on budget. Luxriot does work with cameras motion detection.

Secondly, how much better are their dual lens day/night cameras compared to the cameras with an IR cut filter? Any comparison shots?

Some say, better. But 2nd sensor is only 1.3mpix, not 3mpix.

And thirdly, is there any difference between the 1300DN and the 1310DN other than the size and that the compact one has less lens options? I want to put a 50mm lens on it.

No, just removed usual power supply thing and other bits.

Finally, one of the cameras will be watching a gate about 50 metres away as I have mentioned before.

What Arecont camera would you suggest for this job? There is limited light at the moment but I will probably install some floodlighting (white light).

I am thinking of a 2100DN with 50mm lens. Should be plenty good enough day time, not sure about night time?

Finally, avoid Arecont, they are crap at low light, really crap. 50mm lens will have high F number, so, not a lot of light coming in. Even worse picture.

I must disagree with Robert. The dual sensor cameras are very good in low light. I think it is a toss up between the Mobotix m12 and the Arecont 3130/3135 for the best low light performance of megapixel cameras. Also the other d/n Arecont cameras are good in low light if you know how to set them up properly.

I find that most of the people that complain about Arecont cameras don't know how to set them up correctly.

I find that most of the people that complain about Arecont cameras don't know how to set them up correctly.

There arn`t a lot of settings to do Why dont you tell honestly that Arecont does motion blur like hell? Combine that with some F1.6 or F1.8 50m lense - oh yes, what a great image will we have

There arn`t a lot of settings to do Why dont you tell honestly that Arecont does motion blur like hell? Combine that with some F1.6 or F1.8 50m lense - oh yes, what a great image will we have

sorry robert but i am with thewireguys on this. lets take the sanyo hd camera and i use these everyday. in the daytime its like watching a movie. leave the camera set like this 5mp and night time falls the video becomes very poor just looks like a cheap camera. but if i set-up set the setting to 5mp for day time and have the camera reboot when the light is starting to fade to switch to 1.3mp i am back to a very good b/w video. now mobotix with there Q24 same again day time very good camera but night useless. but the d/n Q24 with 1.3mp is just as good as its day camera. but there are not many ip cameras on the market that you can set to auto change its own settings like the sanyo and also re-focus. for day and night.

What do you use to setup the Arecont camera? The web interface or AV100? I am sorry but I have payed alot of money and spent alot time testing, training, and demoing IP cameras and NVR software and I am not going to give that information out for free anymore. Take the Arecont class and you will learn alot.

Thanks for the comments. They are useful.

One other possibility, I actualyl have one of the new Axis P1344 cameras under my desk right now. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

It has a 1/4" CMOS sensor but it is a CS mount.

Is it possible to get a 50mm lens for this camera? Does it matter that it does not have a 1/3" sensor? The only lenses I can find are 1/3".

All I want this camera to do is pickup numberplates from 50m.

Does it matter that it does not have a 1/3" sensor? The only lenses I can find are 1/3".

As long as its C/CS lense, you have to follow this rule: you cannot put smaller lense than cameras sensor, so lets say you have 1/2 Arecont which is 1:2=0,5

You have 1/3 lense which is 1:3=0,33

This lense is smaller than sensor, so, wont go together. Lens must be equal or bigger.

Im using an Arecont 1305DN and a 5-50mm lens [at 50mm] with an IR illuminator [ZMX-LS36-IR] to pic out plates day/night and up to ~60kph

You will need to use their software to crank the shutter up. This also provides tons of IR for the overview and Face cameras.

I was using a Axis Q1755 to do the same job but it wont switch the IR filter off in manual shutter mode and the

IR focus shift was too great [oh and the auto focus is poo at night]

It works so well I picked out thieves running with a stolen plate at 3 in the morning !

my 2c

It works so well I picked out thieves running with a stolen plate at 3 in the morning !

Is there a publicly accessible database for stolen plates in the US?

Best,

Christopher

Im in Australia, stolen as in running down the road with it !

there is a crimtrack database and some private companies with lists for GAS drive off`s but public no that's only for grown ups.....