FarmerCharlie

Cable Question. Plain RG59 vs Siamese with RG59

I can't seem to get the search engine working this morning, so please pardon me if this has already been covered. I am planning to run a cable about 200 feet outdoors using 1" diameter PVC conduit. While I am at it, I thought I might get enough cable to replace the cheap Siamese cables I already have for three other cameras in different locations. I am using analog cameras. This is a home non-security system, and I can't justify spending more than necessary.

My question is whether the combined RG59/power cables are enough of an improvement over the cheap cables to justify getting a 1000 foot spool. The one I am looking at has an RG59/U cable with a separate 18G power cable at $168 per 1000 feet. Or would it be better to use regular RG59 cable with a separate power cable?

Thanks,

Charles

I can't seem to get the search engine working this morning, so please pardon me if this has already been covered. I am planning to run a cable about 200 feet outdoors using 1" diameter PVC conduit. While I am at it, I thought I might get enough cable to replace the cheap Siamese cables I already have for three other cameras in different locations. I am using analog cameras. This is a home non-security system, and I can't justify spending more than necessary.

My question is whether the combined RG59/power cables are enough of an improvement over the cheap cables to justify getting a 1000 foot spool. The one I am looking at has an RG59/U cable with a separate 18G power cable at $168 per 1000 feet. Or would it be better to use regular RG59 cable with a separate power cable?

Thanks,

Charles

Generally standard RG59 is not suitable for underground installation. You should consider something designed for the job such as a cable with a PE sheath. This applies to CAT5E cables as well.

The reason is that standard sheathed cable lying in water will absorb moisture over time. All ducts will flood at some time in the life of the cable.

Hope this helps

Ilkie