cupboy

Is there a motion sensor that can activate my camera?

Looks like I could use some X10 stuff but I'd rather not use anything that involves plugging things into electrical outlets.

I don't want the camera on all the time since it activates a VCR, at least until I can figure out the digital recording stuff.

Crow and Optex make excellent PIR motion sensors that can be used to activate security cameras.

Best,

Christopher

What I need is something I can plug the camera power cord into that would receive a wireless signal from the motion detector.

Do not be afraid of the X10 stuff.

I do not know why you are using a VCR with the advances of technology, and the price drops for equipment.

You are going to find that turning off your Camera is only going to make your VCR record black. If you VCR is recording you may as well record video.

You will need to control the VCR through with the IR. Perhaps sending pause / play signals.

A motion detector will have to be placed in a manner where it is triggered before the person walks in to the camera zone.

If the detector is in the same zone as the camera you will not have the person in the camera. By the time the detector senses the motion, and your camera receives power then you have to determine how long it takes your camera to come on line to provide good video.

The wireless outdoor motion detectors have a short range as they use the least wattage available.

I would suggest that you record full time with the VCR using 8 hour tapes, and use 3 tapes for 24 hour recording.

If you need wireless motion detectors, devices to turn the cameras on, and off, and software to control everything then let me know.

I'd prefer to use something other than a VCR, but haven't had time to check into it. I'd rather record to a computer but have no clue about it yet. I could use a book on the subject.

The VCR does not record if the camera is off. The VCR senses a video signal and only records when a video signal is present. It's a feature Sony calls "sensor record".

If this is a proper time-lapse type surveillance VCR, it should have trigger inputs that you can connect to the PIR as well, so that the sensor is directly triggering the VCR to start and stop recording. Then the camera can just stay on all the time.

We've used the wireless Optex motion sensors for a similar purpose (in our case, to trigger a loud siren as a door annunciator for a noisy shop) - the "base" unit has a form-C relay output that can be used to switch either open or closed when the sensor is triggered; that could be wired to the VCR's trigger input (assuming it has one) to do the job.

If the VCR doesn't do it, you could still use the relay to toggle the camera power - just run one side of the camera's 12VDC/24VAC power feed through the normally-open terminal.

If this is a proper time-lapse type surveillance VCR, it should have trigger inputs that you can connect to the PIR as well, so that the sensor is directly triggering the VCR to start and stop recording. Then the camera can just stay on all the time.

We've used the wireless Optex motion sensors for a similar purpose (in our case, to trigger a loud siren as a door annunciator for a noisy shop) - the "base" unit has a form-C relay output that can be used to switch either open or closed when the sensor is triggered; that could be wired to the VCR's trigger input (assuming it has one) to do the job.

If the VCR doesn't do it, you could still use the relay to toggle the camera power - just run one side of the camera's 12VDC/24VAC power feed through the normally-open terminal.

Hey Soundy,

Brilliant advice !!!

Regards,

DG

I'm considering the Optex VX402R for the motion sensor. What receiver would be best with this to power up the camera?

How long will a 9v alkaline battery last in the TD-10U? This could be an inconvenience to replace depending on where the unit is mounted.

How long will a 9v alkaline battery last in the TD-10U? This could be an inconvenience to replace depending on where the unit is mounted.

Would depend somewhat on the usage, but it seems to me we get several months out of ours in normal circumstances. Both transmitter/sensor and receiver can be powered externally (AC or DC adapter, external battery pack, etc.)

The receiver is already powered externally but the transmitter doesn't have anything other than a 9v battery connector on it, so some sort of modification would be needed.

Hmmm, you're right... we musta modified the last one for external power. My bad.

According to the spec sheet, you should get at least two years on an 9V alkaline battery.

I've gotten two years+ with them, as well. It was a fairly low use environment, so it wasn't transmitting too much. I have been using Lithium 9 Volt batteries in a few others (1.5 years, and counting, on those).

I had ten+ of those setups (don't remember the exact count) in a high end residence quite a number of years back, to allow controlling a couple of Pelco Spectra's to preset positions, and create alerts, through a Pelco 6700 matrix and Genex multiplexer, and a Panasonic AG-RT600 recorder. Remote access was through POTS dial-up with a Prism Micro Mole 300 unit (I'm dating myself, aren't I! ). That was some serious hardware back then, and it was a fun install.

The relay output on the RC-10 and RG-10 can only handle up to 1A/50VAC. It says for higher current, use additional relay. What is this additional relay they are speaking of? There seems to be no info about that. I'd like to turn on a set of lights (about 200 VAC).

There is not a certain relay type to use, that will depend on your application. For your setup, you would probably be looking for a relay with a 12VDC coil (so you can use the power for the receiver to also activate the coil in the additional relay) and N/O contacts rated for the voltage and amperage draw of your light setup.

You may want to look for something more like an industrial timer so you can vary the time the lights are on with each activation of the receiver (keep in mind, too, that the transmitters will only retrigger after a few minutes of inactivity, not right away with each motion event, as far as I recall.

If you are using a DVR with relay inputs and outputs, you might want to feed the receiver input into it, and then use the DVR output to trigger the larger relay, you may be able to set the relay activation time in the DVR, as well as having the motion sensor activation a logged/action event in the DVR (trigger alerts, E-mails, etc.)

Anyone know how to adjust the alarm volume for zone 4 on the Optex RC-10U?

The manual only tells how to adjust it for zones 1-3. Maybe I could just manually disconnect the alarm sound altogether... don't really need it for anything. How would that be done (if necessary).

All I'm doing with the unit is activating recording mode using the terminal connection.