SammieT

Problems with Spytown?

Has anyone had problems dealing with Spytown? I just placed my first order with them and having some unexpected difficulties. I've seen them referenced here many times in the past and don't recall any negative comments so I thought they may have a good reputation. If they don't resolve my problem soon I will post details if anyone is interested.

I tried to place an order one time. It was never processed so I emailed and asked what the status was and got a phone call and email response right away. The product I wanted was discontinued and they offered a substitute item. I agreed to the substitute but that order too was never processed. So I just gave up.

But I have no animosity towards them. They never charged my card. I like their website and had planned on trying to order again someday.

Well they do need some customer service training. We dealt with them once and was not impressed. I imagine they are some large company like ADI who also treats you like crap.

I've placed a few orders and they were filled. However, some of my inquiries to customer service were ignored. They don’t have an 800 number, so dealing with them by phone is impractical.

Well they do need some customer service training. We dealt with them once and was not impressed. I imagine they are some large company like ADI who also treats you like crap.

They are actually quite small. I have been to their office a few times.

Never had any issues with them. I returned a portable monitor that I was not happy with and they exchanged it without a problem.

YMMV

ADI customer service sux.

The trick is to get to know your local associates. My local branch is extremely helpful.

What does piss me off though, is you would think that since they are so large that their prices would be pretty low. Not so. Sometimes they are much higher than others.

ADI out here...well, you see that rock over there, have a conversation with it and see if it responds. Just wish there were someone else to put them in their place.

P.S. don't ever mention that 4 letter word to them....WORK!

In regards to Spytown...and not for nothing, but I WILL NOT buy anything security from a company that sells a "MoleChaser"!!! Their site also looks like the Sunday comics.

In regards to Spytown...and not for nothing, but I WILL NOT buy anything security from a company that sells a "MoleChaser"!!! Their site also looks like the Sunday comics.

Agreed.

They are really geared toward end users so you can't fault them for that. The only reason I had purchased from them in the past is that for a while they were a lot cheaper than ADI, Elcor, etc. I hated to buy from them because of what they were doing but sometimes the $ outweighs your principles.

Lately though their prices seemed to have creped up.

DataAve, thanks you >>>>>> Sunday comics!!! Their animated banner starts making sense now. 1) customer rep picks up "order slips" 2) oops, all complaints about unprocessed orders 3) shrugs shoulders "Who cares?" 4) arm relaxed

In my case the delay was ~9 days but I don't think I should be paying for LD calls during that week (no 1-800#). Every time I called I was put on hold as if they were flipping through a PAPER BASED ordering system, but still without a reason for the late processing. So I had to call again & again.

When you operate on such a thin margin as they do you have very little money available for quality support staff and barely enough for a mediocre skeleton staff. But you have to put up with that for the low prices. It is a trade off between price and quality of service.

You just have to hope you have no problems or have to return anything.

At that point the time you spend getting things taken care of pretty much wipes out any savings you got.

A really bad scenario is getting stuff for your customer, not having it work properly and then possibly losing the customer because of the suppliers bad service. Then the cost to you is incalculable.

Has anyone taken a look at their RETURNS section, warranty etc ... i think you get a whopping 3 month warranty on DVRs or cameras, something like that ...it was pretty hard to comprehend so maybe i got it wrong ..LOLLLL

Martin distributing in your area and VSSI in SoCal are the two that come to mind in the West Coast. There is also Northern Video in Sacramento that has low pricing but customer service isn't as good, again a trade off between margins and level of service.

Like most people, I'll take a low price today over the prospect of "better support" at some unknown time in the future. I'm usually directed to the manufacturer when I have questions or problems occur.

I’ve placed an orders with them and no problems. Note that their “Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed!â€

Well, looks like too much smoke around Spytown for me....I'll steer clear. TY for the inputs!

Found even better pricing and return policy here:

Anyone know THESE guys?

http://www.123securityproducts.com/newinfopage.html#returns

They share the same addres as this one:

http://www.surveillance-video.com/contact.html

i.e. 387 Canal St. NYC

Thought they are run by the same group, but I'm seeing different prices on a few items (11% diff on one cam).

You have to be careful of addresses that are down on Canal. They are fly-by-nights (some) and a dime a dozen. I can get good deals down there, I am down that way on a daily basis. I get all my seafood down there, freshest around and some pretty big prawns.

P.S. Most of those sites are just templates (nothing wrong with that) which anyone can buy and customize to your needs.

beware of spytown and it's return "support". it really is terrible! i've called them each day now for almost 5 days to return 2 camera's and i've had to put up with busy lines and then after i leave my call back number, and of course spytown promises to call you back...too busy to talk now, i've never received a call back yet.........spytown just lost a customer who spends a lot of money on video security equipment!

Guys, don't worry, as soon as my Web Programer finishes my site, I will take special care of you.

Funny thing, the programer, belongs to this forum.

Uhmm, wonder who it is....................