paparaaaapa

can i use 2 DNS on 1 router?

My customer have 2 DVRs, and only have 1 ISP line. Can i use 2 DNS on 1 Router Modem so that i can view 2 DVRs at the same time? Or i have to get another Internet Line for another DVR to be able to view through online? Or there is no way i can do that for 2 DNS on 1 router modem, oi was wondering too, it impossible to do so right? 1 single IP can only pointed to 1 DVR, how can it be pointed to 2 DVRs with different machines and IP. Thanks.

vin2install is correct.

The DNS setup only needs to point to the router's WAN address (the IP supplied by your internet provider). That tells remote systems the address to connect to.

At that point, the router sends the connection to the appropriate DVR based on the port you specify.

For example, say your routers use LAN IPs 192.168.0.101 for DVR1, and 192.168.0.102 for DVR2. Assume the DVRs use only port 80 for a web-based remote client... you'd set up the router to forward port 80 directly to 192.168.0.101, then you might set it so "public port" 81 is forwarded to "private port" 80 at 192.168.0.102.

To access the two systems then, you'd use something like http://paparaaapa.com:80 (or with no port number, 80 is assumed) to view DVR1, and http://paparaaapa.com:81 to access DVR2: the router sees the incoming connection on port 81 and knows to pass it on to the second DVR's IP.

that get me an idea to it, but it is based on Modem router too? i don't see that we can putting in 2 DNS in it? for the port 80 and port 81 i got the ideas too, just that how i should apply it? or just normal setting portforwarding will do on it?

that get me an idea to it, but it is based on Modem router too? i don't see that we can putting in 2 DNS in it? for the port 80 and port 81 i got the ideas too, just that how i should apply it? or just normal setting portforwarding will do on it?

so you are on a 1 port modem ??? with router attached. you still do the same as soundy has stated. also are your dvrs the same make. and what make are they. it might be better for you if your dvrs have cms software.

i think i know what should i do now after briefly thought about what both of the senior said.

My Router modem is 4 ports, tomcctv. I think what should i do now is that i don't need to use 2 DNSs on one router, all i need to do is just use 1 DNS on a router and set different port to forward on the port forward function in router and i will choose which DVRs to be viewed by www.domainname.com:80 for first DVR, and www.domainname.com:81 for the second DVRs. Am i right?Soundy and vin2install? correct me if i'm wrong on it.

Thanks.

That is correct.

TCP data "ports" have no relation to the network jack "ports" on the router.

It is possible with some setups to use two DNS entries, like dvr1.domainname.com and dvr2.domainname.com, but generally that would require a webserver to handle the requests, and usually all it would do is then re-forward them to the different ports anyway. I don't know of any routers (at least not cheap consumer/SOHO models) that can do subdomain name-based routing.

....then you might set it so "public port" 81 is forwarded to "private port" 80 at 192.168.0.102.

To access the two systems then, you'd use something like http://paparaaapa.com:80 (or with no port number, 80 is assumed) to view DVR1, and http://paparaaapa.com:81 to access DVR2: the router sees the incoming connection on port 81 and knows to pass it on to the second DVR's IP.

Hi there Soundy, can you rougly tell me what is public port and private port refer too? As i also can't find any of this in a modem.

"Public port" is the port the router listens to on the outside connection, for incoming data. "Private port" is the port it sends that data to on the LAN. Usually they'll be the same, but there are instances where you might want to change one or the other... for example, if you have a DVR or webserver that doesn't let you change the port from the default of 80, but you have an ISP that blocks port 80, you could assign a different public port, and forward that to the standard private port.

It is possible to have 2 DNS with single IP address with two different ports for two DVR's so it will show both the DVR's comfartably.Such that you use both port 80 and 81 for the DVR's separately.

you can use 2 DNS using 1 router only provided that your costumer uses static IP, you can also use 2 DVRs using different ports. eg. DVR1=port80, DVR2=Port85.

isagani grimaldo