2001kx

help with remote viewing

i have a q-see qsdr008rtc dvr and im trying to view remotely.

router: linksys wrt120n

i can view it on my LAN but not via the internet away from my LAN.

i forwarded the ports 80 and 9000 as requested to the ip of my dvr.

i then tried using the ip of my router but nothing happens.

what i would like to know as well is... i didnt set up a static ip but and i know my ip will change but i figured i could just grab the current ip and use it until it changes then i could just use the new ip once it changes.wil it work that way or do i have to have a static ip?

just looking for some direction here as i have tried so many different ways with no luck..

help!!!! lol

thanks in advance.

edit**

ive done some more reading and what i have seen is that verizon dsl blocks port 80 inbound.

ive tried other ports as well but nothing...is there a way around this?

**sorry for the repost but i think i put the other one in the wrong category.

i think my problem is im connecting with a router/modem combo(from verizon) and a router(linksys)

my ip for the dvr is 10.10.xx.xxx and my internet ip address is 72.xx.xx.xxx.

i think the first verizon router/modem is blocking the 2nd linksys router from port forwarding?

heres what i get when i check my port forwarding.

note the ip address starting with 10.10.xx.xxxx

shouldnt it be starting with my internet ip 72.xxx.xxx.xxx.

1503054881_Capture4-22-2010-12_37_23PM.jpg.c163f156da4bf714bcb196b66d085f27.jpg

If you have a modem/router than you need to forward those ports twice. Do that on your verizon router to your linksys router. Then do it again on your linksys router to your DVR.

or

you can just bridge your linksys router to your verizon router than forward the linksys ports to your dvr

If you have a modem/router than you need to forward those ports twice. Do that on your verizon router to your linksys router. Then do it again on your linksys router to your DVR.

or

you can just bridge your linksys router to your verizon router than forward the linksys ports to your dvr

how do i access the verizon router/modem?

i have no idea!

how do i bridge the linksys router to the verizon router?

r u sure that verizon modem is also a router? Normally a router should be equipped with more than one RJ45 jack. i can only see one in your photo. so it should be a modem-only device.

moreover, it doesn't make sense to use two routers in one LAN. if it's for distance's sake, just turn the second one into a switch or hub.

port-forward means forward traffic from router's public IP address and TCP port, which is 72.xxx.xxx.xxx:80, to the DVR's private IP and TCP port, 10.10.xxx.xxx:80. though I doubt its necessity, but, to be on the safe side, add another port forward from 72.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 to DVR's 10.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000.

to see the router's setting, run IE, type in router's default private IP. normally it's 192.168.0.1, check its user manual.

r u sure that verizon modem is also a router? Normally a router should be equipped with more than one RJ45 jack. i can only see one in your photo. so it should be a modem-only device.

moreover, it doesn't make sense to use two routers in one LAN. if it's for distance's sake, just turn the second one into a switch or hub.

port-forward means forward traffic from router's public IP address and TCP port, which is 72.xxx.xxx.xxx:80, to the DVR's private IP and TCP port, 10.10.xxx.xxx:80. though I doubt its necessity, but, to be on the safe side, add another port forward from 72.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 to DVR's 10.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000.

to see the router's setting, run IE, type in router's default private IP. normally it's 192.168.0.1, check its user manual.

i did forward the ports (i tried ports 80, 81, 8000, 85, 9000 )

all of them are closed.

i think the verizon modem/router is not letting me forward the ports via my linksys router?

i need to use the verion for my dsl...and i have no way to access it via web to set anything up.

it always shows my ports are blocked?

What is the model number of your Westell modem and/or router? Do you have a static or dynamic IP address?

Typically with Westell's, if you connect a router to them, you have to configure the modem for bridged ethernet (since it has full DHCP function) and let the Linksys handle all routing functions. Not changing the modem to Bridged Ethernet may result in double NAT'ing, IP conflicts or a network that doesn't work at all. You should be able to access the Westell's configuration using 192.168.1.254. Make sure your computer is set to the same net and not "obtain IP address automatically".

not all modem/router comes with more than one lan port.

it could be true for pure wireless ones. but not for wired.

appreciated if u could enlighten me with a real example.

Edited by Guest

i did forward the ports (i tried ports 80, 81, 8000, 85, 9000 )

all of them are closed.

i think the verizon modem/router is not letting me forward the ports via my linksys router?

i need to use the verion for my dsl...and i have no way to access it via web to set anything up.

it always shows my ports are blocked?

what shows that your ports are closed?

maybe you should drop the tools and dig into the setting on your own.

here is a step and step guidance, it might help.

http://www.safeware.ca/kb-networkdvr.php

not all modem/router comes with more than one lan port.

it could be true for pure wireless ones. but not for wired.

appreciated if u could enlighten me with a real example.

There are several models such as the Westell and BellSouth, which include the DHCP/routing functions but not the additional LAN ports. They do this to keep their costs down. They're meant to be connected to either a switch for the additional LAN ports or to another router if it is set to "bridged ethernet".

so does it sound like im on the right track?

i dont know a whole lot about networking but i've been reading up on it online now for the last week or so and am getting a little more comfortable with it...

do you think this is my problem?

Sounds like you're on the right track as long as Verizon disables the DHCP functions of your new Westell.

Configure your DVR with a static LAN IP. Linksys's DHCP usually starts assigning addresses at 100 (by default) so assign your DVR an address between 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.99 and forward the necessary ports to it.

Sounds like you're on the right track as long as Verizon disables the DHCP functions of your new Westell.

Configure your DVR with a static LAN IP. Linksys's DHCP usually starts assigning addresses at 100 (by default) so assign your DVR an address between 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.99 and forward the necessary ports to it.

well i got the new westell 6100.

i set it to bridge then i cant even get internet connection.

i have to go back to my old modem to go online.

when i go into my router setting(linksys) after the bridge and check the status it is all zero's for everything(see pic below).

my linksys router doesnt assign in the 192.168.1.2 range.

it is 10.10.10.xxx does that matter?

im about ready to give up.....grrrrrr!

2084151381_Capture4-30-2010-4_11_16PM.jpg.99c5d30210f34bef953049b8c475bb11.jpg

Go to the Setup page of your router. Did you set it for Automatic or PPPoE? If PPPoE, you have to configure all your ISP's info. Also the Setup page will have the the starting address for the DHCP server. Chose any number less than this and greater than your router's address for a static IP for your DVR. After setting that number in your DVR, go to the Applications and Gaming page of the router and forward the necessary ports to the DVR's IP.

One note, though. After making theses changes, you may have to shut everything down and bring it back up in a specific order.

1. Power up the Westell first.

2. After all the Westell's lights have come on and stabilized (all green, I believe), plug in and power up the Linksys router.

3. After the Linksys stabilizes, plug in your DVR and any computer's to the router and power them up.

4. Check the router's Status page to ensure you are connected.

Go to the Setup page of your router. Did you set it for Automatic or PPPoE? If PPPoE, you have to configure all your ISP's info. Also the Setup page will have the the starting address for the DHCP server. Chose any number less than this and greater than your router's address for a static IP for your DVR. After setting that number in your DVR, go to the Applications and Gaming page of the router and forward the necessary ports to the DVR's IP.

One note, though. After making theses changes, you may have to shut everything down and bring it back up in a specific order.

1. Power up the Westell first.

2. After all the Westell's lights have come on and stabilized (all green, I believe), plug in and power up the Linksys router.

3. After the Linksys stabilizes, plug in your DVR and any computer's to the router and power them up.

4. Check the router's Status page to ensure you are connected.

my problem is when im using the 6100 modem in bridge mode im not able to connect to the internet at all (my computer...not the dvr)

it shows my ip as 0.0.0.0 and it wont gather my internet ip address.

i can connect to the internet (my computer...not the dvr)before i switch it to bridge mode.

i need to get my pc online before i worry about the dvr at this point.

i dont know what in doing wrong?

i cant enter the ip manually(to the 6100 when putting it into bridge mode) if its a dynamic ip correct?

this makes my brain hurt-lol.

its set for PPPoE but what do i have to configure?

just the user name and password correct?

I had a similar headache with my friends setup who had DSL/PPPOE

1. Set the modem for transparent bridging and make sure it's on a different subnet than your router--like the modem might be 192.168.0.1--if so set the router to use 192.168.1.0--no conflicts. Turn off DHCP on the modem

2. In the Linksys setup PPPOE--you might need username/password as well as primary & secondary DNS numbers from the ISP

3. Hit connect/refresh and in the status page it should show it grabbing your external WAN IP (like 72.xxx.xxx.xxx)

4. Determine what IP address your DVR is taking on your lan--like 10.x.x.100. If the DVR interface is editable you might be able to specify another WWW port that your ISP is NOT blocking--like 575. Set your software for that port.

5. In the router interface forward that 575 port to the IP of your DVR

Put your dyndns info in the linksys

Accessing your unit from the web would be your_dyndns_name:575 in the address bar

having problems setting up my apollo dvr for meote veiwing can any one help me

I had a similar headache with my friends setup who had DSL/PPPOE

1. Set the modem for transparent bridging and make sure it's on a different subnet than your router--like the modem might be 192.168.0.1--if so set the router to use 192.168.1.0--no conflicts. Turn off DHCP on the modem

2. In the Linksys setup PPPOE--you might need username/password as well as primary & secondary DNS numbers from the ISP

3. Hit connect/refresh and in the status page it should show it grabbing your external WAN IP (like 72.xxx.xxx.xxx)

4. Determine what IP address your DVR is taking on your lan--like 10.x.x.100. If the DVR interface is editable you might be able to specify another WWW port that your ISP is NOT blocking--like 575. Set your software for that port.

5. In the router interface forward that 575 port to the IP of your DVR

Put your dyndns info in the linksys

Accessing your unit from the web would be your_dyndns_name:575 in the address bar

primary & secondary DNS numbers from the ISP

where do i get this?