prove_it

suggestions for good night time vision cameras

Hello all,

Yup, I'm going to ask the same types of ?'s everyone else is.

I did read the one about the guy needing farm surveillance, since I have a large area to view as well.

In between my neighbor and I we have a 4' high wire field fence, so no visibility issues there.

However, we have lots and lots of pine trees (not that I'm complaining about them).

Based on the little I understand about surveillance cameras, if I got one with good night vision, the rest should be taken care of as well (day vision).

Here's the reason for the cameras - we are suspicious that the neighbor in question is tossing poisoned food over the fence to our dogs.

So, that said, I would like to catch this person in the act - if it's occurring at all - and be able to use it with the authorities.

The fence line between us is 700' long - it could be anywhere that he's doing this. I would assume he's taking the easiest route, figuring that we don't have a clue, which would be somewhere in between his house and the shared fence he's doing the tossing.

There are small structures (shed) he can walk behind from one view or the other, but nothing he can walk in between of (unless you count a tree) and be completely hidden.

No, we have no idea when the event would take place, hence the concern for night vision. I'm assuming that since I work from home and my wife is a stay-at-home mom and we can come out of the house at any given time, it would be in the dark that it's occurring.

Q1:

The best distance camera I've seen is an IR that can see 100'. Is that about the max?

Q2:

With the area and distance from our house that would need to be under surveillance, would a wireless camera have less capable night vision than a wired?

Q3:

I'm concerned with breaking any laws by pointing a camera onto his property. Who would be best to contact - FBI (yes I am in the states)? State police? I am in a rural area.

Q4:

This system would be largely unattended - we don't want to sit in front of it 24x7, but we also don't know how or when (or even IF) this guy is tossing stuff over. How would we be able to identify something that occurs in less than minute?

I would prefer this guy to not obviously know he is being watched. He can then change to go behind us (no homes behind us, can access that area easily) or in front of us and do the same thing. Or stop and we'd never know, drop our guard, and he can start again. I want to CATCH this guy, if it's actually occurring, and I want him busted.

74114357_Usandthem-surveillanceneeded.jpg.f08a5798484f8a961e93b9f157ecddb3.jpg

I would a least run 2 cameras a wide angle covering the whole area and a cam on the point where he might "walk to" this will be a zoom or pin-hole there.

[maybe a mobile DVR and some car batteries]

As for IR for 100 foot + you will need an external unit raymax, litestorm etc [Q1] your better to get up close with some covert 950nm IR cams really

By the look of your aerial photo there are many trees this can cause lots of false alarms and places to hide.

At 700 foot long you could have 10 cameras and still miss the action. Better to find the choke points. or create a big clearing along it ?

Q2 wireless with all those trees forget it. [unless you have some LOS [line-of-sight]

Q3 cant comment but on your own property ? should be ok each state is different in the US ?

to see every point and check is there if a small package has been thrown over would require a very fancy system. lots of cams

If you had the $$$ a RADAR controlled zoom camera up high would do the job for sure -but all those tree's mmmmm

Also you could put a seismic array along the fence to trigger an alarm.

A thermal camera will pick him out real fast.

just some ideas...

Hi,

I noticed your post and I have a suggestion for you. Go to a Bass Pro Shop or a Dicks Sporting goods store and look at there game cameras. They are megapixel cameras with IR and with that you could move it around until you get the shot you want. You should be able to get one for 200 dollars.

Thats just my suggestion.

Thanks for the info, I will start looking into the suggestions.

We do have a Dick's Sporting Goods store here, so I'll take a look there as well.

Thanks for the info, I will start looking into the suggestions.

We do have a Dick's Sporting Goods store here, so I'll take a look there as well.

Hi prove it. that is alot of land to cover. just placing cameras here and there is going to be hit and miss. and at night the picture quality will be usless.

here is a good link. the camera is a ptz and it also comes with 15 sensors to go around your home. take a look at some of the videos. http://futuresentry.com/videos

I want to thank tomcctv for mentioning FutureSentry. Because our robotic guard is totally new and unique, it often gets mistaken for a night vision camera or PTZ. It is not. It is a fully functional robotic guard that identifies and gets involved with intruders with or without a camera attached.

It provides a fully neutral interface when it is part of an integrated network, easily employing IP or analog cameras; IR, mesh, laser or any other sensor; wired or wireless remote communication; two-way audio; etc.

Thanks again Tom. Please feel free to contact us.

John Ribbler

john.ribbler@futuresentry.com

If I'm understanding the Ganz Radar Vision correctly, it would not allow for identifying a person at night, since it's thermal, I would have to have a seperate camera with night vision.

I'm not sure that fits into what I need, but thanks.