Camera recommendation based on experience

I need experienced input here. My concern is clarity no less than you would get from a camcorder. I'm looking for such clarity within the following range(s):

1-5 feet and another camera to offer the above mention clarity from 40-90 feet.

Said camera's, if available, need to be day/night and indoor/outdoor items; 'clarity' of moving objects; (small and large mammals, as-well-as vehicles) is the goal here --capturing details of license plates would be lovely-- also. Cameras will be used with a standalone DVR w/BNC and H.264.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

It seems that what you need is suitable lens for your application.

you need to figure out the the width ( or height) of the FOV (field of view) first, they you can calculate the the view angle.

I don't think that there is any CCTV video camera which can output the video as good as that from current camcorder. if the resolution ( clarity , sharpness, whatever) is critical for, you may have to use some camera with digital output (or expensive 3CCD block camera).

It seems that what you need is suitable lens for your application.

you need to figure out the the width ( or height) of the FOV (field of view) first, they you can calculate the the view angle.

I don't think that there is any CCTV video camera which can output the video as good as that from current camcorder. if the resolution ( clarity , sharpness, whatever) is critical for, you may have to use some camera with digital output (or expensive 3CCD block camera).

<> If I understand you correctly, your average retail purchased DVR (BNC connectors) with VGA recording/viewing, even after upgrading cameras for longer range; will not be able to identify a persons face and/or license plate fonts? --in your opinion--

I need experienced input here. My concern is clarity no less than you would get from a camcorder. I'm looking for such clarity within the following range(s):

1-5 feet and another camera to offer the above mention clarity from 40-90 feet.

Said camera's, if available, need to be day/night and indoor/outdoor items; 'clarity' of moving objects; (small and large mammals, as-well-as vehicles) is the goal here --capturing details of license plates would be lovely-- also. Cameras will be used with a standalone DVR w/BNC and H.264.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi 245. its not just the cameras that give you good quality recording. your dvr also has to be upto the job.

what make of dvr are you connecting these cameras too.

Hi 245. its not just the cameras that give you good quality recording. your dvr also has to be upto the job.

what make of dvr are you connecting these cameras too.

Lorex (LH314) and a (LH316501); I'm currently not impressed with either, however money talks and all else 'walks' if you get my drift.

Catching the number plate on the moving vehicle is a quite challenging job for any video surveillance system.

In order to identify the number plate without any guess work, a minimum of 100pixel width is essential. that means the width your FOV should be less than 8'. so the only affordable choice should be block camera ( the only with integrated varifocal lens) based on SONY 480 or SONY 980 or something else similar.

Catching the number plate on the moving vehicle is a quite challenging job for any video surveillance system.

In order to identify the number plate without any guess work, a minimum of 100pixel width is essential. that means the width your FOV should be less than 8'. so the only affordable choice should be block camera ( the only with integrated varifocal lens) based on SONY 480 or SONY 980 or something else similar.

So-o in your opinion, the DVR's included in my last post are sufficient and I should continue to upgrade the camera's where needed?

<> If I understand you correctly, your average retail purchased DVR (BNC connectors) with VGA recording/viewing, even after upgrading cameras for longer range; will not be able to identify a persons face and/or license plate fonts? --in your opinion--

Sure it will.... but realize that you need to have a fairly tight shot to get that recognition. Realistically, a plate should be at least a quarter of the frame width to be clearly legible, especially if your DVR only records at CIF resolution (352x240). Faces may need to be even closer if you want evidence-quality recognition.

For most DVR, the image quality ( the sharpness) will be degraded by the compression algorithm, even you use a D1 format machine, you still need to make sure the number plate will occupy 1/6 of the picture. for a CIF format, 1/4 is essential ( as Soundy said).

another issue is, in order to get sharp image without any blur introduced by vehicle's motion, you need to fix the shutter speed of the camera to 1/500 or shorter. (this figure depends on the speed)

For most DVR, the image quality ( the sharpness) will be degraded by the compression algorithm, even you use a D1 format machine, you still need to make sure the number plate will occupy 1/6 of the picture. for a CIF format, 1/4 is essential ( as Soundy said).

another issue is, in order to get sharp image without any blur introduced by vehicle's motion, you need to fix the shutter speed of the camera to 1/500 or shorter. (this figure depends on the speed)

I am looking to obtain 'evidence quality" video using the Lorex LH316501 mounted in a vehicle with at least 2-cameras, one (1) on the dashboard and another mounted on the exterior of the rear windshield, capable of capturing the details of a license plate. All other cameras will be used to capture facial details as-well-as clothing.

Any other suggestions for block cameras which are already in a weather-proof enclosure in addition to day/night?

That's a 16-channel machine... kinda overkill, isn't it?

If this is for mobile, maybe consider a couple of megapixel cameras with on-board storage to SD cards. No moving parts and most can be powered off a wide range of DC voltage. You then don't need as tight a shot to get details.

What you need is just a mobile speed camera system without speed detection device (laser or radar). Police (or other people) has to pay more than 10K for even a "entry-level" product.

If you plan to operate this system in night, you also need a really powerful narrow angle IR illuminator ( which is actually hard to source).

you also need two cameras point to the target vehicle and they should use different exposure setting, 1st use shorter exposure to capture the image of number plate ( which is reflective). 2nd on use longer exposure to capture the image of driver and front seat passenger.

forget the day/night camera with a "sealed" housing. all of them just use cheap M12 mount lens. it is impossible to find any M12 lens which is narrow enough for you application.

That's a 16-channel machine... kinda overkill, isn't it?

If this is for mobile, maybe consider a couple of megapixel cameras with on-board storage to SD cards. No moving parts and most can be powered off a wide range of DC voltage. You then don't need as tight a shot to get details.

Under normal circumstances this 16-ch unit would be overkill, however we move the DVR from vehicle to shop when needed. Besides, we would be hard pressed to pass up the price on the DVR including 8-day/night weather-proof cameras --even though the cameras are of beginner quality. We needed to get up and running quickly. In short we prefer to use a non-mobile DVR for basic video capturing.

What you need is just a mobile speed camera system without speed detection device (laser or radar). Police (or other people) has to pay more than 10K for even a "entry-level" product.

If you plan to operate this system in night, you also need a really powerful narrow angle IR illuminator ( which is actually hard to source).

you also need two cameras point to the target vehicle and they should use different exposure setting, 1st use shorter exposure to capture the image of number plate ( which is reflective). 2nd on use longer exposure to capture the image of driver and front seat passenger.

forget the day/night camera with a "sealed" housing. all of them just use cheap M12 mount lens. it is impossible to find any M12 lens which is narrow enough for you application.

After reading the above, this is where I begin to cry real tears, because, I can feel the dollars being yanked from the bank account for these cameras and now you are factoring in a standalone IR illuminator x2; 1-front and 1-rear. Not sure if this is something that makes sense for a vehicle. Espeacially is this illuminator is any where near the same size that I see at the toll plaza's; just not enough space and/or funding.

We aren't so much interested in capturing the driver of the vehicle while he/she is inside as we are with the vehicle itself and the license plate detail.

I'm looking at the pricing on some of these block cameras, and I must say, they are quite the pricey item(s).

This really is an industry where you get what you pay for, and what you're looking for won't come cheap if you want it to work well in all circumstances.

A low-cost solution will work fine... during broad daylight when the vehicles are at a stop and assuming they're within a narrow area - in short, under ideal conditions. Unfortunately, conditions will be ideal maybe 10% of the time, if you're lucky... the less ideal they are, the more it will cost to address them.

Thank you all for your patience and input within this thread. I will continue to monitor this topic/thread should anything come to mind at a later date.