jc322

just getting started..... newbie needs some assistance

Greetings,

I am hoping to get some advice from some of the extremely knowledgeable members on this forum. I am looking for equipment recommendations (cameras, DVR, computer, power supply, storage etc...) I still need to purchase everything so I figured I would do my homework first. I have a few old cameras but I am considering replacing them.

This install is for my father’s office and 3 story building. The building is a commercial building and he is moving to the 3rd floor so he wants to install a system to keep an eye on the office, and the rest of the common areas in the building. I am looking to install 16 (1 will be for outside the front of the building) static cameras throughout his office and the rest of the building, some of the cameras can have audio. I am not sure of the technical implications if they all have audio. The setup I would like to use is a DVR PC based system. I just finished installing the telephone and data throughout the office. There is not a server in the office but all of the PC’s are connected via a router (old netgear need to get a new one) and switch (unmanaged Gigabit switch). I would like to place a DVR dedicated PC in the data closet and allow 5 other computers in the office to view the cameras. (not sure if this is possible) I would also like to have him be able to remote view from home. I know this technology is out there I just need to be lead in the right direction. Here are my questions.

Is it possible to have 5 computers network viewing the cameras at the same time?

Are they all independent? Can they all be viewing different cameras or sets of different cameras at the same time? It is important to be able to view only 4 or 6 cameras and switch to the other only when needed.

What kind of effect will this have on my network? Will this cause a noticeable slowdown on the network?

With 5 computers using network viewing is it more important to have a stronger DVR PC based CPU?

Is the CPU load pulling from the DVR PC or each individual computer? (I am not sure exactly how network viewing works)

What are the minimum recommend specs for the DVR PC? Most important thing? Processor? Video card? I read on this forum it is better to build a system but I was hoping to go with a Dell. Is this possible if so which dell is recommended?

What about the “client viewing” PC’s? Some of them will be regular office PC’s will they be effected heavily if they are viewing the cameras 24/7? Is the remote viewing a processor hog? If someone could explain exactly how the network viewing works that would be great. Is the workload on the DVR PC or each individual “client viewing” PC?

One will be just a dedicated “client viewing” PC. Can I go with a basic low end PC? What are recommended minimum specs for this sort of PC?

What kind of storage do you recommend? I would like to save data for 30 days. (esata directly to DVR PC?)

What about offsite back-up?

Can you recommend a power supply for all 16 cameras?

Battery backup for computer, power supply, storage etc..?

Any particular camera recommendations? I am not trying to break the bank on cameras but a decent picture would be nice. (color and B&W) or a general expected price range is fine. Number of lines?

In my research I have come across these two systems Avermedia NV6480E16 and Geovision GV-1480-16. Can these handle my needs? Any other suggestions?

If I am missing anything important for the system, please let me know or if I am going about this all wrong please tell me.

I am sure I have left out important pieces of information but please ask, so I can provide you with any pertinent information.

I understand these hybrid systems can do a lot more and I plan on using these features, but what I have listed are currently my greatest concerns.

I am located in northern NJ so if someone is in the area, I would consider purchasing from them, if they have competitive prices and possible demo.

Thanks for taking the time for reading this. " title="Applause" />

Thanks even more if you take the time to reply.

Jeffrey

CCTV Newbie

The setup I would like to use is a DVR PC based system. I just finished installing the telephone and data throughout the office. There is not a server in the office but all of the PC’s are connected via a router (old netgear need to get a new one) and switch (unmanaged Gigabit switch). I would like to place a DVR dedicated PC in the data closet and allow 5 other computers in the office to view the cameras. (not sure if this is possible) I would also like to have him be able to remote view from home. I know this technology is out there I just need to be lead in the right direction.

A Vigil DVR will handle all of these requirements. So will others, but Vigil is the system I'm most familiar with. Most of the answers below will apply to most better PC-based DVRs, but again, I'll answer for Vigil specifically, since I'm familiar with them.

Is it possible to have 5 computers network viewing the cameras at the same time?

Absolutely.

Are they all independent? Can they all be viewing different cameras or sets of different cameras at the same time? It is important to be able to view only 4 or 6 cameras and switch to the other only when needed.

Yes. With Vigil, you can set different user groups and give them access to different cameras and functions. You can also set up camera "groups" - for example, you could create an "Office" group and clicking that would display all the office cameras in a grid.

What kind of effect will this have on my network? Will this cause a noticeable slowdown on the network?

Not if the network is well-designed and uses quality components, not cheap consumer gear. With Vigil at least, the video streams are recompressed for internet transmission, so they have greatly reduced bandwidth.

With 5 computers using network viewing is it more important to have a stronger DVR PC based CPU?

Not really. Most of the CPU will still be used for the local recording/indexing/database/compression processing anyway.

Is the CPU load pulling from the DVR PC or each individual computer? (I am not sure exactly how network viewing works)

The DVR has to read the video and recompress it before streaming it out... for the client machine, it shouldn't require any more processing than watching a YouTube video.

What are the minimum recommend specs for the DVR PC? Most important thing? Processor? Video card? I read on this forum it is better to build a system but I was hoping to go with a Dell. Is this possible if so which dell is recommended?

If you go with a Vigil, you get the whole thing as a turnkey system - PC, capture hardware, software, all ready to go. The systems are built and tested specifically for this purpose and they're running a stripped-down, efficient, embedded version of WinXP.

What about the “client viewing” PC’s? Some of them will be regular office PC’s will they be effected heavily if they are viewing the cameras 24/7?

No.

One will be just a dedicated “client viewing” PC. Can I go with a basic low end PC? What are recommended minimum specs for this sort of PC?

I can do it on my Atom N270-based netbook without a hitch. Any basic $300 PC should do just fine. For that matter, and spare P4 or AthlonXP you have kicking around should do just fine.

What kind of storage do you recommend? I would like to save data for 30 days. (esata directly to DVR PC?)

That really depends. Framerate, frame size, and compression all come into play. You'll usually want to set all cameras to record on motion only, so it will depend on how much motion there is in the covered areas, and how well you set up motion masking (for example, if a camera sees the street in one corner, you'd want to mask that so passing cars aren't triggering recording 24/7.

The basic Vigil system is 16 channel, 60fps (total across all cameras), with a 1TB drive - with proper setup, you should easily get 30 days out of that.

Can you recommend a power supply for all 16 cameras?

Anything suitable from Pelco, Altronix, Enforcer... 12VDC or 24VAC as appropriate.

Battery backup for computer, power supply, storage etc..?

Ditto, any quality Belkin, APC, TrippLite, or other UPS of suitable capacity. Some power supplies have space for a 12V gel-cell battery to keep the cameras running for a short time, too.

Any particular camera recommendations? I am not trying to break the bank on cameras but a decent picture would be nice. (color and B&W) or a general expected price range is fine. Number of lines?

Look at the CNB Monalisa line (www.cnbtec.com). Search this site, you'll find they're very popular. The VCM-24VF is a solid, clean dome design, 2.8-10mm lens, dual-voltage, true day/night, 600TVL.

In my research I have come across these two systems Avermedia NV6480E16 and Geovision GV-1480-16. Can these handle my needs? Any other suggestions?

Never worked with the Aver systems. I've come across several GeoVision systems on one client's sites... we've been gradually replacing them with Vigils. Don't like the GVs, personally - the interface is very poorly designed.

If I am missing anything important for the system, please let me know or if I am going about this all wrong please tell me.

I am sure I have left out important pieces of information but please ask, so I can provide you with any pertinent information.

The only thing missing from your specification is budget. Rough numbers, though, expect to pay $2500-$3500 for a quality DVR, a couple hundred apiece of cameras like the CNB Monalisas... wiring and labor would depend on the site.

@ Matt thanks for the reply. What type of Vigil system do you recommend? I would like to research their systems.

@ anyone else, I would love to hear from people with aver and geo experience. Or any additional information, questions or suggestions you might find helpful

@ soundy, thanks for the help so far.

I have a couple more questions.

Is the CNB VCM-24VF good for a lobby entrance? hows the back light compensation? There are glass doors and I am looking for a VR dome.

I have a intercom door system tied into our phone system on the 3rd floor. I would like to add some sort of fisheye camera next to the bell to see who is at the door. I realize I might have to create a mount or something for a board camera. do you have any camera suggestions? or general suggestions?

A typical over the door set up will not work.

also whats your take on VR vs Day/night?