Distributors of DVR and Surveillance

As a business owner I am looking into providing surveillance services, but am very surprised the distribution channels are quite hidden when compared to the computer / network industry. Are there distribution channels that CCTV dealers acquire their products?

I am not interested in PC card based systems. I am after the DVR and camera products.

Any information is very much appreciated. Thanks.

......There are quite a few distributors out there. You are probably not looking in the right place.

OK. Would you share what you might know and where?

What are you specifically looking for? Embedded DVR systems, cameras, etc...

Both embedded, cameras, face recognition and license plate. Mostly turnkey. No interest in PC solutions. Thanks.

There are tons of them. First you need to decide what brand and products you want to carry, then find a distributor that carries them. Even with a distributor that knows what they are talking about, they can sell tons of brands and its still up to you to decide what to use. There are also companies, not distributors, that bring in their products from Asia and put their name on it, calling themselves a manufacturer .. they would sell a range of products from DVRs and different types of cameras.. most cases these are smaller companies and will sell direct to you without going through a distributor; perhaps this is more what you are looking for?

I've spent numerous hours researching and preferably would like going with one company that has numerous brands. This is similar to what I have with my network and computer products. I just don't want to go with some flying by the seat of their pants company, but a vendor with a track records reliability.

I've spent numerous hours researching ...

Which distributors are on your list so far?

Best,

Christopher

In this industry, there's a lot of competition. Not all are worthy to be called "competion." Any donkey can buy cheap crap and sell cheap crap at prices to the uneducated consumer, appear to be a good deal. People think just because they can get $40 cameras at Fry's and Sam's Club, that us professionals are overcharging and taking advantage.

Unless there is already a relationship with the potential client or they been referred to you by someone they trust... price is usually king of winning bids. It takes a while to build up a reputable list of suppliers. There's a lot of crap out there, there's a lot of companies that sell mainly to end users (retail) and claim to have dealer prices but not so much...

If you can get better prices than the competition, you can "one up" everyone else. For this reason you're not going to get many honest answers in a public forum.

HOWEVER, since I was in the same boat as you not so long ago... I asked the same questions and was fortunate to get in touch with some really great people. I feel I owe it to the next guy to be just as helpful in return.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share some tips.