bw

IR + Cameras

Hi

Im looking to build a pc-based dvr using a GV600. I need some clarity regarding IR and how its used for security cameras. Im thinking I want a true day/night camera (its just for monitoring my yard), one that is color by day and switches to b/w at night. How does the IR work? I notice it can be integrated into the camera or from separate source. Is the IR used during the day? At night is the IR light visible to the human eye? Some appear to have IR-blocking features? Under what scenario would that be beneficial?

Some links relating to my questions would be appreciated. Also can anyone recommend a quality day/night camera? Had a look on spytown, maybe something in the 150+ price range?

Thanks a bunch

bw

Hi

Im looking to build a pc-based dvr using a GV600. I need some clarity regarding IR and how its used for security cameras. Im thinking I want a true day/night camera (its just for monitoring my yard), one that is color by day and switches to b/w at night. How does the IR work? I notice it can be integrated into the camera or from separate source. Is the IR used during the day? At night is the IR light visible to the human eye? Some appear to have IR-blocking features? Under what scenario would that be beneficial?

Some links relating to my questions would be appreciated. Also can anyone recommend a quality day/night camera? Had a look on spytown, maybe something in the 150+ price range?

To answer your questions:

"How does the IR work? I notice it can be integrated into the camera or from separate source. "

Correct.

"Is the IR used during the day? "

Generally, no. Most of the better cameras only switch the IR on at night.

"At night is the IR light visible to the human eye? "

Depends on the wavelength of the IR. Most built-in IR lighting produces a slight reddish glow.

" Some appear to have IR-blocking features? Under what scenario would that be beneficial?"

An IR filter is standard on color cameras and is necessary to provide accurate color. B&W cameras don't have IR filters and generally work well with IR light.

To fully address your needs, we need to know:

* How large an area do you need to monitor at night?

* Is color necessary during the day, or can you live with B&W?

Main use would be daytime monitoring when I am away. Nightime monitoring to me is a bonus feature id like to play with. I'd like to spend a little extra and get a higher quality cam. Could you recommend a color day/night as described for say 200 or less?

I would also like to get a 2nd quality b/w camera sometime down the road. Id expect to pay less than the above mentioned color model? Could you recommend a good b/w cam?

Environment particulars arent critical to me at the moment as I may be moving. I may like to mount it outside, if so it would be under an eave or something. Im more interested in getting a quality piece of equipment.

Im sure theres more information im missing on what all i need. If it could read lisence plates from 30~50ft that would be nice. Something about this size would work:

http://spytown.com/tosikhigresc.html

Thanks a bunch

bw

The key features of a good outdoor camera are:

* weatherproofing

* Auto iris lens (video or DC)

A good day/night color camera should have an IR cut filter.

The ability to adjust the camera's image for backlighting, etc. can also be important.

Don't expect much from the IR LEDs built into most cameras. They're typically only good for short distances and they burn out after a few years. You can try going with just the illumination from the camera at first, but stay open to the idea that you may have to add separate IR illuminators.

A few cameras that might be of interest are:

http://spytown.com/kpandkpdayni.html

http://www.2mcctv.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/17/products_id/76

Both have IR cut filters. The KT&C more-or-less fits your budget, but it doesn't appear to offer much in the way of controls to adjust the image. The Samsung is much more flexible and a very good deal, but you'll also need to budget for a lens and a housing. It's also less discrete.

I have two Samsung 721s that I'm very happy with.

Hi

Im looking to build a pc-based dvr using a GV600.

bw

Man, you are already asking for trouble.

There are no ways to build a very good Day Night with Infrared syterm for $150-200 .. .

Your alternative is looking at a Bullet camera with Infrared such as the Kt&C or the Provideo, both have mechanical IR cut Filters, meaning True Day Night, the provideo is more and has more LEDs, either way you can add external IRs such as those from Extreme CCTV like the UF100, though its not cheap, it will work. The cheaper OEM IR Bulbs normally are just that, cheap, they can work but mostly they are Spot Bulbs, where as the Extreme stuff you can order them with wide bulbs, and invisible range.

However, for the invisible range (940nm +) you would need to seek a professional camera like some from the Sanyo, GE, etc, that supports up to 940-1100nm Infrared Spectrum Range - the PDF data sheets will say whether they do or not - but once again, they are not cheap.

if you dont need invisible or have the budget for the Extreme stuff, then just a bullet camera with IR and some external 840nm IRs. You can also save money if using just a BW Bullet camera, the 840nm works with most BW bullet cameras.

Rory