jc322

Camera next to door intercom - recommendation

I have a intercom door system tied into our phone system. I would like to add some sort of fisheye camera next to the bell to see who is at the door. I realize I might have to create a mount or something for a board camera. do you have any camera suggestions? or general suggestions? The person will be a few feet away from the camera and I would like to set it up around eye level. (avg height)

A typical over the door set up will not work, since I need to see the face.

Thanks in advance to all the great people that have answered any of my questions.

I've shopped around... without making your own out of a board camera, lens, and housing... kt&c makes a pretty good one. It's called a "peep hole" camera I believe. I've installed them flush mount onto door frames and walls. They're only good for things up close, obviously.

What are you going to view this on? TV?

What happens if the doorbell rings and the TV is off - will the visitor have to wait for you to turn the TV on?

Have you considered a purpose-built video enterphone system? The door unit has doorbell, audio and camera built into one panel; the other end has the ringer, audio, and a screen that turns on automatically when the doorbell is rung.

Not generally as expensive as you'd think, either.

Here's just one example (not an endorsement of this product, just the first thing that came up on a Google search): http://www.entryvue.com/residential.html

we will be viewing this over our network on various computers. we will have a Aver dvr card setup.

look into Viking electronics they have a doorbox with a built in camera that will go on an analog ext. Also look at aiphone they have some solutions with camera door release etc

The viking boxes look nice. They are a bit pricey so I decided to go with the KT&C camera. I will do the install in the next few days.

Thanks

The viking boxes look nice. They are a bit pricey so I decided to go with the KT&C camera. I will do the install in the next few days.

Thanks

just a thought. if you install your camera with cat5 then when the bell is pushed your camera will flash up on your aver though the i/o input. and if using 7.7 software will also take snapshot.

The kt&c looks just like that. Any suggestions on how to install it in the wall? I am trying to avoid cutting the wall up. The back end of the camera is larger then the front. I found a metal circle piece that I can place over the lens to cover the additional room from the hole. I was thinking about drilling a hole the size of the wider back portion of the camera. I am not sure how to mount it in the wall. I haven't done this yet so any suggestions would be great. I would prefer to have this installed in the wall so the lens is flush.

that big back piece u can throw in the trash, its not necessary. the actual camera is about the size of a lipstick thing. the lens "peephole" mounts flush with whatever you install it in. just drill a 3/4" hole if memory serves me right...

I didnt realize the back piece wasnt needed. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow and see if I can remove it.

Thanks