Mnorman

Avermedia and megapixel throughput

So I just wanted to put this out there for Avermedia users and would be users as it relates to MP cameras. I have been tracking our system resources for some time and made some observations.

As was said in previous posts, the 7.7 software seems a bit choppy in live view as compared to the 7.3. That said, if you are planning on using MP cameras 3MP to 5MP, you are pretty much forced to use the 7.7 software if you want the playback unlocked for original format ie. your snapshots and playback footage are in true 3MP and 5MP size.

The throughput is a two-fold issue as I see it. What I mean is you have the ethernet speed and you also have the bus speed of the Avermedia card and and the bus speed of the motherboard itself.

Ethernet speed: Most NIC switches are 10/100/1000 nowadays, but how many cameras does that support if you only have a router or switch in your target building that runs at 100 Mbps? Well I found that with 24MP in total sending data to the computer, the network traffic was constantly at 130-150 Mbps. So you can roughly expect that when you reach 20 total MP in cameras on a particular system you will need to bump your switch to 1Gbps or you will have even choppier live view and skipping recorded data. A general rule from my observations is that you can expect about 40-50Mbps to your network load per 5MP camera at 10FPS at full resolution.

Bus speed: Avermedia has been spewing out the 42 MP system limitation for some time now, and now it is evident that the controller on the NV cards just can't handle anymore throughput than that. That said, it is actually pretty staggering that their card controllers can do even that amount since from the amount of information per second from a maxed 42 MP system is just huge. The only hope to lessen the card's work is in newer compressions in the future.

The bus speed of the card also means nothing if your motherboard is older or it has an inferior chipset, since that will most likely be the bottleneck and not the card.

Just a couple of observations and food for thought.

i have a number of systems running with large mp throughput. I have noticed a major limitation is with disk IO (read write speeds). When pushed too hard ie 10-15mp @30fps, the hard drives cant cope because all the cameras are writing to one drive. eventually the systems throw an 'insignificant drive space error' and i have to manually delete some files. i have asked aver to allow users to specify which cameras record on which drives. eg cam 1-8 records to drive 1 and cams 9-16 on drive 2 etc. so far no joy with aver. Geovision took this recommendation on board a long time ago and it means the system can cope better with more megapixels.

Anybody else has problems with this or knows of a solution??

I've noticed that when using Sanyo cameras after a few weeks aver changes the framerate from whatever you set it to MAX (30fps). frustrating!

So I just wanted to put this out there for Avermedia users and would be users as it relates to MP cameras. I have been tracking our system resources for some time and made some observations.

As was said in previous posts, the 7.7 software seems a bit choppy in live view as compared to the 7.3. That said, if you are planning on using MP cameras 3MP to 5MP, you are pretty much forced to use the 7.7 software if you want the playback unlocked for original format ie. your snapshots and playback footage are in true 3MP and 5MP size.

The throughput is a two-fold issue as I see it. What I mean is you have the ethernet speed and you also have the bus speed of the Avermedia card and and the bus speed of the motherboard itself.

Ethernet speed: Most NIC switches are 10/100/1000 nowadays, but how many cameras does that support if you only have a router or switch in your target building that runs at 100 Mbps? Well I found that with 24MP in total sending data to the computer, the network traffic was constantly at 130-150 Mbps. So you can roughly expect that when you reach 20 total MP in cameras on a particular system you will need to bump your switch to 1Gbps or you will have even choppier live view and skipping recorded data. A general rule from my observations is that you can expect about 40-50Mbps to your network load per 5MP camera at 10FPS at full resolution.

Bus speed: Avermedia has been spewing out the 42 MP system limitation for some time now, and now it is evident that the controller on the NV cards just can't handle anymore throughput than that. That said, it is actually pretty staggering that their card controllers can do even that amount since from the amount of information per second from a maxed 42 MP system is just huge. The only hope to lessen the card's work is in newer compressions in the future.

The bus speed of the card also means nothing if your motherboard is older or it has an inferior chipset, since that will most likely be the bottleneck and not the card.

Just a couple of observations and food for thought.

I dont think that "card contollers" on the Aver card processing MP stream

i have a number of systems running with large mp throughput. I have noticed a major limitation is with disk IO (read write speeds). When pushed too hard ie 10-15mp @30fps, the hard drives cant cope because all the cameras are writing to one drive. eventually the systems throw an 'insignificant drive space error' and i have to manually delete some files. i have asked aver to allow users to specify which cameras record on which drives. eg cam 1-8 records to drive 1 and cams 9-16 on drive 2 etc. so far no joy with aver.

What is the total bandwidth combine from all cam ?

in megabits or whatever u can measure ?

total bandwidth is 40-60mb on a 100mb LAN depending on detail/motion of scenes being viewed by ip cameras. The max usable safe level on 100 lan is 65-70 to be stable. HDD's are SV35.5 and max disk read/write is 20mb. The disks are rated to 140mbs so I think it is a aver issue in data handling??

RAID will work but becomes an expensive solution as a 32 ch avermedia uses around 9TB with JBOD configuration