rory

Does the GeoVision IP cam need a dongle?

If one has a Geovision card already, do you still need a dongle?

I actually cant find any info on that anywhere, not even their own site.

Thanks

If one has a Geovision card already, do you still need a dongle?

I actually cant find any info on that anywhere, not even their own site.

Thanks

By "dongle" are you talking about the breakout cable that connects to the card, or a license/activation dongle?

I'm quite familiar with both, thanks. I also see the breakout cables regularly called "dongles", which is why I asked. They also go by "octopus cables" in addition to "breakouts", "pigtails" and "dongles", and I'm sure several other names..

What you call "dongles" I also commonly see called "USB license keys", and I've known them to go by various other names as well.

A little more specificity and a little less condescension will get you a long way.

I'm quite familiar with both, thanks. I also see the breakout cables regularly called "dongles", which is why I asked. They also go by "octopus cables" in addition to "breakouts", "pigtails" and "dongles", and I'm sure several other names..

What you call "dongles" I also commonly see called "USB license keys", and I've known them to go by various other names as well.

A little more specificity and a little less condescension will get you a long way.

So do you know the answer to Rorys question or not ?

Well in the CCTV industry the dongle is the USB dongle and the pigtail is the breakout cable and those that deal with Geovision know exactly what they are ... every retailer and distributor call them that also, and software companies call their security keys DONGLES, it is the same all over google and other search engines. But you can call it what you like, you are a free man. I mean really though why on earth would I be asking if an IP camera needs a pigtail cable?

Meanwhile, do you know anything regarding Geovision Dongles and Geo IP cameras?

Cause I really dont care what people call anything, I just need an answer to my question please.

Thanks once again for your help.

If you're running a Hybrid DVR (analog and IP), you are allowed 8 free Geo IP devices on the system. If it's an NVR system, you need an NVR (GV) dongle for Geo IP cameras.

The others are

NVR Dongle for third party IP's on an NVR or Hybrid DVR.

Combo Dongle for Geo and 3rd party IP's on a Hybrid DVR or NVR

I mean really though why on earth would I be asking if an IP camera needs a pigtail cable?

With you, nothing surprises me.

Really, Rory, you asked a question, I asked for a simple clarification, and you took the opportunity to be a jerk. This is how you expect to get assistance?

If you're running a Hybrid DVR (analog and IP), you are allowed 8 free Geo IP devices on the system. If it's an NVR system, you need an NVR (GV) dongle for Geo IP cameras.

The others are

NVR Dongle for third party IP's on an NVR or Hybrid DVR.

Combo Dongle for Geo and 3rd party IP's on a Hybrid DVR or NVR

Great thanks. Yes it would be a hybrid, right now there are 16 cameras on a GV1480 and they want to just add 4 more for now. The system isnt super new so its not up to speed for 2x 1480s though, and the car park where they are going to be placed is well lit. Guess it should work out then after all, thanks again

This is how you expect to get assistance?

Nope, obviously not from somebody that doesnt know anything about GeoVision Dongles and Pigtails

Give it a rest dawg, it aint dat serious.

Rory, if it's a 1480 you still max at 16 cameras even if 4 are Ip's. And the other gentlemen is correct. You can have up to 8 ip cameras before a dongle is needed but 16 is still the max.

I've got a Geovision megapixel camera on my system. It really sucks the hard drive space. On a 1 TB drive (about 933 gig usable I think). The Ip camera has 300 gigs and the other 8 analog cameras fight it out for the remaining 600 gigs. I like the clarity and you can zoom digitally forever....but it needs it's own drive IMO.

LMOF!

What the hell is up with this post???

PSSST!

That is me popping another beer as this thread is going to get real interesting!

What the hell?

Rory, if it's a 1480 you still max at 16 cameras even if 4 are Ip's. And the other gentlemen is correct. You can have up to 8 ip cameras before a dongle is needed but 16 is still the max.

I've got a Geovision megapixel camera on my system. It really sucks the hard drive space. On a 1 TB drive (about 933 gig usable I think). The Ip camera has 300 gigs and the other 8 analog cameras fight it out for the remaining 600 gigs. I like the clarity and you can zoom digitally forever....but it needs it's own drive IMO.

Thanks ... just wondering though as now Geo does 32 channel .. are you sure about the limit of 16 cameras total including IP? I did email Geo but they havent replied yet

I was just about to post back to this because now I'm not so sure. I read the manual and it's still not clear to me. When you put in an IP camera you still have to assign it a "slot" For example I just reinstalled one and I put it in Camera 16 slot. It didn't give me an option to use slot 17-24. So that makes me think it's 16 total. But i'm not convinced either way. Here's a page right out of the manual.

===Hybrid Solution Description

1. Specifications of the Hybrid solution. The Hybrid solution provides you 8 free IP channels for

GeoVision IP video devices, with the limit of 32 channels in total.

For example:

Number of analog channels + 8 free GV IP channels + Number of channels in USB dongle

(NVR(GV), NVR or Combo Dongle) <= 32 channels.

2. Connection of GeoVision IP devices to GV-System. To receive the video streaming of 8

channels or less from GeoVision IP video devices, there is no need to use an extra USB dongle. If

more than 8 GV IP channels are required, you need a NVR (GV) Dongle.

• The dongle options include: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 IP channels.

In this case, the total number of channels for your Hybrid system is: Number of analog channels +

8 free GV IP channels + Number of channels in your NVR (GV) Dongle <= 32 channels.

3. Connection of third-party IP devices to GV-System. To implement the Hybrid solution with

third-party IP video devices, you need a NVR Dongle.

• The dongle options include: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32 IP

channel(s).

In this case, the total number of channels for your Hybrid system is: Number of analog channels

(+ 8 free GV IP channels) + Number of channels in your NVR Dongle <= 32 channels.

4. Connection of both GV and third-party IP devices to GV-System. To implement the Hybrid

solution with a mix of GeoVision and third-party IP video devices, you need a Combo Dongle.

• The dongle options are the combined options of NVR (GV) Dongle and NVR Dongle.

Inform your sales representative the exact number of third-party IP channels and additional

GV IP channels you need, so the Combo Dongle can be delivered upon your requirements.

For example, you need 8 third-party IP channels plus 8 additional GV IP channels, so the number

of channels in the requested Combo Dongle is 16. The total number of channels for your Hybrid

system will be: Number of analog channels + 8 free GV IP channels + Number of channels in your

Combo Dongle (e.g. 16) <= 32 channels.===============================================

That would make it sound like you could have 24 cameras if 8 were IP's.

Let's hope geovision responds to the email.....or wait, send me 5 more cameras and that would give me 17. Then I can tell you from experience, lol.

If you have a 32 camera hybrid system, you can still have 8 Geo IP's on the system without a dongle. 24 analog cameras and 8 Geo IP's would work just fine.

I think the real question is can you have 16 analog cameras and 8 ip cameras for a total of 24.

Edited by Guest

I remember talking to someone (a dealer I believe) who told me that GEOVISION brand cameras are free but if you want to use another brand, you have to 'pay to play'.

Is this still true? I am looking at adding a IP camera or 2 and don't really want to buy Geovision.

Thanks for the help.

Yes seems you can add up to 8 Geovision IP cameras for free.

I dont see many people using them though

Sounds like someone needs to write a geovision ip camera emulator with Geovision outputs on the front end and a generic camera connection on the other.

Too bad its probably beyond my programming abilities.

Looks to me if you dont want to buy there ip cameras you need to look at another NVR/DVR provider. Poor business decision if you ask me. Exactly how good is there ip camera offering against the big players?

Starting with version 8.4, you can run 32 Geo IP cams without a license on their NVR. Only need them if your mixing 3rd party IP's.

As for their IP offerings... Getting better. 1.3 to 3MP box, bullets and domes/speed domes. Not crazy about the minidomes. Also have a new 4MP fisheye Mobotix knockoff. Want to try that one.

We use the GV 1120-16 cards all the time with 16 analogs and 8 third party 1.3mp IP's.

The 8 camera 3rd party license is roughly 500 bucks and comes out cheaper than GV brand IP cameras.

We use the GV 1120-16 cards all the time with 16 analogs and 8 third party 1.3mp IP's.

The 8 camera 3rd party license is roughly 500 bucks and comes out cheaper than GV brand IP cameras.

How do you view the 8 ip cameras? The screen divisions go to 16 so camera 17-24 wouldnt appear to have a channel per se.

This has confused me from day one. I'm about to fill up all the analog channels on my system and I do have one IP camera. Will this be able to be viewed through the geo main system or is there another way?