rory

What do you do with your DVR BNC pigtail cables?

I hate them .. literally .. okay they make us need less cards ... but how they hang down and touch each other and sometimes the bnc turns and comes loose if you move them up or down and to the side .. how they twist together and get tangled up over time, plus they just look like a mess around the back of a nice clean looking PC .. and trying to see the numbers sometimes can be a pain.

So do you do anything to make them either tidier, more manageable, or even god forbid, more secure?

Ive taped (no more ofcourse), tie strapped, even extended into a box to hide it all, searched the web looking for a wall mount type box with some kind of BNC male to female patch type panel built in - nothing .. tried to make my own but that didnt work out as planned (ended up just extended into box with VGA cable and tie strapped them in there in groups of 8 ). Im not talking rackmount as I can find BNC rackmount patch panels (though still only BNC female to female).

Any ideas, photos, anything out there others such as myself are unaware of?

Even some kind of generic 8 port loop through card would do ..

I just dont think they could leave these out there as they are without some manufacturer coming up with an idea to make them better. .. !

For clarity, this is what I am talking about:

geodvipigtail.jpg

EzCCTV do a distribution box for geovision to replace the pigtails, never used one, like the idea of it, but no idea how much they cost...

Product here.

I just went through this and was thinking the same. The cost of a BNC patch panel with all those barrels, just not worth it and still clunky. I think going into a box, tape them up and close it up is the best. It sucks having to clip away all that tidy work just to get to a single cable.

Most of my systems are either on desks or shelves, or in cabinets, so the cables can just lay there and not put any extra weight on the breakouts. The couple of instances where they did hang down (DVR on a small desk or table), I just put a zip-tie saddle on the back of the table and zip-tied all the cables there with the ends right behind the DVR, so there's no weight pulling on the connectors.