FarmerCharlie

Audio Problem on an NV3000 with Auxiliary Extension Card

Can someone help me with an audio problem with my AverMedia NV3000? I posted this question about a year ago, but did not get any responses.

The computer is a Dell Dimension E520 with an onboard SigmaTel sound card. I have the output from the sound card going to an Avermedia audio extension card. I can hear the sound while recording, but no sound appears when I do a playback, and no sound is present when I convert to MPEG. I have all the file types enabled in the volume control app. I also noticed during the original installation that I could not make the system play audible sounds when alarms are detected. Don't know if that is related.

I know the sound is actually in the file, because I can hear it just fine when I do a remote playback on another computer. But unfortunately when I try to export to an MPEG file on the remote computer, the only option is a screen snapshot. So I am caught in a catch22; I can’t export to an MPEG file with sound on the computer that has the card, and I cannot export motion MPEG on the remote computer.

Thanks,

Charles

Did you ever upgrade the software version, like we recomended for a previous issue you had??

You should be able to download it off Avers site. If you can't find it, I'll send it to you. Just make sure you have the serial key that came with your disc. Its usually printed on the sleave for the disk.

Did you ever upgrade the software version, like we recomended for a previous issue you had??

Yes, I am using version 7.7.0.0039. Changing software versions had no effect on the lack of sound during playback or MPEG encoding.

Well if you've checked and double checked all the recording and camera sound settings then I would recomend called Aver's tech support. They've been pretty helpful to me in the past.

[...]

I know the sound is actually in the file, because I can hear it just fine when I do a remote playback on another computer.

Uh Oh!. After downloading the newest version of the software, now when I play the files on the remote computer, the sound is no longer there. It is fine on the remote computer in the Preview mode, but not in Playback mode.

Maybe reading the new manual will help figure out what's going on.

Did you call Aver's tech support yet?

I upgraded to a NV6240 and a new homebuilt computer, and the problem stayed the same. An Avermedia tech recommended installing the latest software, which I did. Still the same problem.

The sound was present when I played the files remotely on another computer, but not when I played them on the original computer.

Then the other day I happened to run the Volume Control software while actual;ly playing back a video file. Lo and behold, there was a new tab called "System Starting." I noticed that the volume was very low, so I increased it. Problem solved. I guess I feel pretty stupid for not doing that before. I'm attaching a screen capture showing the new tab.

SoundMixerDVRInPlaybackMode.jpg.7ca042fd12d8fb39d83f0377755821eb.jpg