duckhere

Recommended training?

Anyone know of any good CCTV training? I'd want something that has a good overview, not looking for certification yet. Basically my "job" is to set up, remotely troubleshoot, and repair both new installs and previously installed systems. I am also in charge of gathering information and intregrating new equipment. I do not get to hands-on install the equipment myself.

I am in the Kansas City region and would consider either online or classroom training. Any suggestions? Even a good book to read?

Thanks

Rob

It would be better to go work for a company, and see the real life issues rather than book learning.

If you own a business then hire a fully trained tech, and shadow him.

In my case that's just not possible. I do Help Desk for 112 remote locations. Basically the company had a security vender (the only one in town) and dropped them because it would take 4 months to get new systems or get systems repaired. It got dropped in my lap and now I'm just trying to learn everything I can. I've got the Geovision systems down, but with no way of actually hands on learning I'm looking for other avenues.

Notable names on the training and/or books on the subject are Vlado Damjanovski (http://www.cctvseminars.com/) and Charlie Pierce (http://www.ipcinternational.com/news/news.asp?NEWS_ID=44)

I did look at one of the books by Vlado Damjanovski a while back, they had it in stock at Fry's electronics. Seemed fairly comprehensive.

Still, you'll do some of your best learning with a wire in your hand, on a ladder.....

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll take a look. If it was up to me I'd be able to get a few installs under my belt just to make the troubleshooting aspect easier. A little experience goes a long way. Of course, can't hold my breath on that one......

You should be able to get training from the manufacture of the DVR. Most of the larger companies (including 3xLOGIC) hold training classes about once a quarter. They are typically focused on their software but do cover the broad range of IP networking and what else pertains to a typical install. Have you tried calling the manufacture and see if they hold classes?

Buy a variation of cameras and some tools and wire and start installing/testing them by your appt/home .. thats one way to learn. Get some after hours jobs for friends etc also so you get a feel for other types of locations. Books are good, but there is always more then one way to skin a cat.

Also one can gain a ton of information just by browsing through this forum, lots of ideas from techs that are in the field every day.

Funnily enough I got this exact question on our website's Q & A help desk the other day. It came from Nigeria so who knows but at least it wasn't asking for a large order of CCTV equipment to be delivered to a forwarding agent, paid for on a pair of credit cards !!

I'm with Rory on buying some equipment and having a play with it. Be sensible with what you buy and you wont be out of pocket because there will be someone close by who will jump at the chance of a cheap CCTV install once you've finished fiddling with it.

The internet is a mine of information including loads of Youtube vids (some by a smooth suave sophisticated chap from Uxbridge ) and if you draw a blank on something pop on here.

Good luck

Henry