gunthonungo2

I need finding a good outdoor bullet cam with IR's

I just had some cameras I bought from a trashy vendor also known as CMC TECH/ CCTV FACTORY burn out on me and they're refusing to stand behind them.... I never knew about this site til it was too late, and only bought from those jerks on the recommendation of a family friend. If anyone is thinking about buying from them PLEASE DON'T... Out of 9 cams I bought from them 6 have already gone bad within a year of use..... ok,, enough about my rant,,, let me move on to what I need them for.

I'm obviously no pro....My parents own a business and need the cameras for their parking lot area. The business is a small motel so coverage at night is very important. The buldings sit north to south, so there is a good amount of sun beating on these cams during the daytime. We have decent lighting outside,, but definitely need cams with IR's to make up for the difference. Again, I am no pro so I don't know what information I should already post that might help someone point me in the right direction..... maybe some questions would help me with that. I had some 420 line cams til now. I'd rather get into the 500+ line resolutions for the replacements. Price is definitely a factor now that I'm having to spend double to do the same job. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah,, I see references to some brand called CNB... I'd never heard of them,,, are they good? How do I look into them? What about honeywell?

Thanks in advance to everyone that's willing to help me here.

Just search this site for "CNB 24VF" - they're a fantastic day/night dome with low-light performance that rivals cameras costing twice as much. If you already have street lighting, IR is not needed. The domes will also be a lot more robust and less vulnerable to tampering than bullets.

Just search this site for "CNB 24VF" - they're a fantastic day/night dome with low-light performance that rivals cameras costing twice as much. If you already have street lighting, IR is not needed. The domes will also be a lot more robust and less vulnerable to tampering than bullets.

The lighting we have is along our walls,,, so while it does fill the parking lot to some extent, it's been my experience that it isn't enough... having the IR's helps a lot in our situation,, would there be another model with IR's that you'd recommend? Oh,, and the 24vf you said to look at... is it an outdoor cam? The ones I found had great prices but they were listed as indoor cams...

Its outdoor. IP66 so it can withstand alot of rain, just not dunking it in a pool of water.

As for IR Bullets, stick to True Day Night if you can, not just Color IR.

Search the forum for examples of what True Day Night is, but basically it has a mechanical IR Cut filter which covers the chip during the day so it blocks out the IR and the colors look vivid, while removing the cut filter at night so it can pick up the IR. Cameras without it, such as Color IR cameras, can experience washed out colors especially in the day or under alot of light, and may not always have as much low light sensitivity. True Day Night is also specified in camera specs as TDN and/or ICR.

As mentioned, if you dont need IR then try to avoid it. Ofcourse we cant always, one example is my own cameras, I have one location here that wont work without IR, not even Exview covers it now, well it does but I cant see the persons face properly without IR as it is just that dark (yes contrary to popular belief we can see faces with non MegaPixel cameras, but big BUT only under certain circumstances).

Here is an example of an entry level True Day Night CNB IR bullet:

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1030

It is approx 65' of IR, I have used the older model to this and it worked well.

Other brands will have something similar, though CNB is generally a better price for good quality.

Another one that I am testing as we speak is this (initial test tonight it had issues I need to address):

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=339

It is much larger with much more IR (164') and cost more then double, but it should be worth it. Will have sample images as soon as I have more time to test it.

Thanks for the quick feedback... I'm going to check out the cameras you guys mentioned. Any suggestions on the cheapest place to buy them from? I have to get this done for as less money as possible since business isn't so great for my parents these days....

The lighting we have is along our walls,,, so while it does fill the parking lot to some extent, it's been my experience that it isn't enough... having the IR's helps a lot in our situation

Keep in mind your experience has been with crappy cameras... Good cameras will not need IR to compensate for poor low light performance like cheap junk cameras do.

The majority of DIYers think they need IR, but they're usually wrong. What they NEED are good quality cameras.

Thanks for the quick feedback... I'm going to check out the cameras you guys mentioned. Any suggestions on the cheapest place to buy them from? I have to get this done for as less money as possible since business isn't so great for my parents these days....

Cheapest isn't the only thing to consider when choosing a supplier. Just look around at other threads on this forum for horror stories of people burned by buying from the cheapest online stores. Easy to find... These places are usually the cheapest for a reason.

1. Do they have the items in stock?

2. What is their return policey?

3. Do they have a technical support department?

4. Can you get ahold of this company and talk to a real live person?

5. How quickly does tech support return your calls?

6. Are they selling refurb items or new?

7. Will you get exactly what you ordered?

8. How quickly will the order be processed and shipped?

Look for reviews of other people who bought from the company, and not just on their website.

The lighting we have is along our walls,,, so while it does fill the parking lot to some extent, it's been my experience that it isn't enough... having the IR's helps a lot in our situation,, would there be another model with IR's that you'd recommend? Oh,, and the 24vf you said to look at... is it an outdoor cam? The ones I found had great prices but they were listed as indoor cams...

We use the VCM-24VF, it's an outdoor-rated dome that can be flush-mounted, or surface-mounted with the included back-box. The back-box also provides space to hide the connectors if they can't go inside a wall or other object.

I'd say try them, and if you still find you need IR, use some external illuminators (others can recommend some). Cameras with built-in IR are know to have issues, not the least of which are bugs setting off motion detection, and spiders building webs over the front of the cameras.

Cheapest isn't the only thing to consider when choosing a supplier. Just look around at other threads on this forum for horror stories of people burned by buying from the cheapest online stores. Easy to find... These places are usually the cheapest for a reason.

1. Do they have the items in stock?

2. What is their return policey?

3. Do they have a technical support department?

4. Can you get ahold of this company and talk to a real live person?

5. How quickly does tech support return your calls?

6. Are they selling refurb items or new?

7. Will you get exactly what you ordered?

8. How quickly will the order be processed and shipped?

Look for reviews of other people who bought from the company, and not just on their website.

Sorry,,, you're totally right,,,, when I said cheapest,,, I had cheap but good/reliable/dependable in mind... just didn't express myself that way... this site is awesome,,, wish I'd found all you guys before I took my friend's word for (and used his reseller acct there to get a discount) those jerks at CMC TECH/CCTV FACTORY...

We use the VCM-24VF, it's an outdoor-rated dome that can be flush-mounted, or surface-mounted with the included back-box. The back-box also provides space to hide the connectors if they can't go inside a wall or other object.

I'd say try them, and if you still find you need IR, use some external illuminators (others can recommend some). Cameras with built-in IR are know to have issues, not the least of which are bugs setting off motion detection, and spiders building webs over the front of the cameras.

Do these need domes to be mounted underneath some kind of cover,, ie like under an overhang/canopy? Or, can they be mounted to the side of a wall where they'll be hit with direct sunlight quite a bit... not with the lense looking into the sun, but with the dome bodies getting hit by direct sunlight.

Do these need domes to be mounted underneath some kind of cover,, ie like under an overhang/canopy? Or, can they be mounted to the side of a wall where they'll be hit with direct sunlight quite a bit... not with the lense looking into the sun, but with the dome bodies getting hit by direct sunlight.

I've got several of them directly exposed to all kinds of weather, no problems yet. I've had more expensive cameras die in the same conditions.

Are the VCM-24VF IR compliant? Not sure if thats the correct term but if I use an external IR emitter will the VCM-24VF be able to benefit? What is the correct term or spec for that? Thats an impressive looking cam for the price!