Camomille

Recommended 12 V power cable ? ? ?

Hello,

I have installed 2 X "RG59" + "2 X 0.75mm²" power + "2 X 0.75 mm²" Pelco-D for 2 cameras at 55 meters distance from the PC.

Power supply is a 12 V DC 5 Amp but power is to weak at the end. Even one camera cannot be used!

I've been using black & red loudspeakers 2 X 0.75 mm² cable for power.

What is the most recommended cable for trandporting 12V and what's the maximum lengt it can be used? I was thinking of coming with 220 V to about 3 meters of the cams and then only connect the psu.

I also have the possibility to plug the psu at about 10 meters of the cameras and use the very best cable you will recommend me to use

Great thanks for your help, advices or comments.

Greetings to all

Camomille

Edited by Guest

Hmm, that's a little under 18 AWG, which is fine for the signal line, but really too small for the power. You want to use minimum 16 AWG (1.3mm²) there, preferably 14 AWG (2.1mm²). Also, if it's a regulated supply, you'll be getting a solid 12VDC at the supply end, but under that at the camera - an unregulated supply would run around 16VDC at the supply, and still be well over 12VDC at the cameras, even with the smaller wire.

If these cameras support 24VAC, that plus larger wire would be the be the best solution, although you could probably get away with the existing wire at that voltage.

Thank you very much for your reply!

I've been searching the net over "14 AWG" . It seems this appellation contains a large variety of cable !! I'll wait untill monday and go to my supplier for more info!

I made a small test this afternoon. I've cut the "2 X 0.75 mm²" cable keeping the last 10 meters from the cameras. I've connected my psu there but couldn't get 2 cameras working at the same time. There shoud be a problem on this last 10 meters of cable. We will "push" a second metal tube (1/2") under the asphalt and put a correct cable inside. No more place in first tube and no way to get unused cables out since we've "taped" the 4 cables together !!!

For info, cameras are Henelec 540VF/820 and psu is a DC12V 5A (not stabilized (one continuous line above a dotted line )

Thanks again for your answer. I've discovered cables I could already use for years !!!

Have a nice Sunday.

Greetings to all from sunny Belgium.

Camomille

psu is a DC12V 5A (not stabilized (one continuous line above a dotted line )

You know symbol means DC aka direct current, right?

Thank you very much for your reply!

I've been searching the net over "14 AWG" . It seems this appellation contains a large variety of cable !! I'll wait untill monday and go to my supplier for more info!

"AWG" stands for "American Wire Gauge" - it's a common designation for the size of the conductor here in North America. "0.75 mm²" similarly, is a designation of the conductor size; "2 x 0.75 mm²" simply means there are two conductors. The North American equivalent would be written as "14/2". Something like "22/4" would indicate 4 conductors of 22 AWG.

None of these specify the type of cable, the type or thickness of jacketing, the color, or anything else, other than the size of the conductor itself. The larger the conductor, the lower its resistance and the more current it can carry.

If the wire is too small, then it has higher resistance, will restrict the current more, and cause a greater voltage drop over a given distance than a larger wire.

For info, cameras are Henelec 540VF/820 and psu is a DC12V 5A (not stabilized (one continuous line above a dotted line )

As bpzle notes, that symbol denotes only that it's DC. The symbol alone gives no indication whether the supply is regulated or not.

Great explanation " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> Thank you

I think I know what's going wrong and think I've identified the problem located in the last 10 meters of cable.

There is already an EVAVB 4 X 16 mm² cable carrying 220 V AC 3 X 63 Amp at a few centimetres or against the pipe of galvanized used for guiding first cables. I'll tell this to my electrical supplier tomorrow and keep you informed !!

Great thanks again for your help.

Greetings to all.

Camomille

Very strange problem

Before becoming totally crazy or kill anyone, I've chosen the only working solution I tested.

For a still unknown reason, I couldn't have a strong enough 12 V DC at the cameras using 2 X 2,5 mm² cable. Too weak for two cameras, even at the end of a 12 meters cable and a 5 Amp psu !!

The 220 V AC psu is now placed near and powers the cameras with its own 12 V DC lead and a Power Lead Male 2.1mm to 2 x Sockets only ! And it works !!

Maybe I'll discover a stupid error I made from the beginning ! ??? ! I'd really like to know why it did not work !!!

Thank you again for the help and good tips you gave me.

Greetings to all.

Camomille