koolmer

Hotel Reception setup (pictures inside)

Hi guys,

I have a job on a reception. The front consists of a big glass door in the middle of two huge glass windows. Here some pictures:

http://img203.imageshack.us/f/img0857v.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/f/img0856k.jpg/

I would like to cover the entire front with a single IP Megapixel camera. However the camera would have to give good details on the people outside and on anyone coming in. I need especially the face very clearly, so it can be used to show troublemakers to the receptionist etc. I don't know if there is any IP camera that could handle the strong backlight in the scene.

Another camera would go behind the reception desk, but this one would not have to handle strong backlight. It should be a good color IP camera (1.3 MP?) and it has to work also when the light is dimmed at night.

I am going to use a Netvision Hybrid server to record the cameras and the existing analogue cameras.

koolmer

Edit: Both cameras should be Dome cameras - for design reasons.

the sanyo HD3500 is outstanding quality.

Built-in megapixel-rated Vari-Focal Lens (3 - 9mm)

IP66-rated Vandal-Resistant discreet Low-Profile Design

1080p Full HD, 30 ips Full Framerate with H.264

4-megapixel (2288 x 1712) resolution with MJPEG

Exclusive Xacti HD-Pro Engine and Optimum IP-Pro Engine

Quad-Stream

Focus Assist Drive

Video Analytics

Alarm/Back-up Recording on SD Memory Card

Bidirectional Audio

Universal Power Input PoE, 24V AC and 12V DC

True-Day/Night

129435_1.jpg

That sounds good. I have not heard much about Sanyo in the IP market though. Have you tested it yourself also with strong backlight?

What about the Software? I know it is not supported by Netvision. Does it have some Software included? This camera is mainly for recording and evidence - no need to be displayed anywhere.

Hi guys,

I have a job on a reception. The front consists of a big glass door in the middle of two huge glass windows. Here some pictures:

http://img203.imageshack.us/f/img0857v.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/f/img0856k.jpg/

I would like to cover the entire front with a single IP Megapixel camera. However the camera would have to give good details on the people outside and on anyone coming in. I need especially the face very clearly, so it can be used to show troublemakers to the receptionist etc. I don't know if there is any IP camera that could handle the strong backlight in the scene.

Another camera would go behind the reception desk, but this one would not have to handle strong backlight. It should be a good color IP camera (1.3 MP?) and it has to work also when the light is dimmed at night.

I am going to use a Netvision Hybrid server to record the cameras and the existing analogue cameras.

koolmer

Edit: Both cameras should be Dome cameras - for design reasons.

Don't know if this will help you or not.

Acti just came out with their H.264-enabled IP cams... and they are supposedly WDR. I have no experience with these newer models (all of mine are the older, non-H.264 cams), but the older ones produce a nice 1.3 megapixel pic @ 8fps, and are fairly economical compared to some other IP cams.

Maybe they'd let you demo one... couldn't hurt to ask.

Or just go straight for the Panasonic WV-CW484 SuperDynamic III - not megapixel, but still pretty much the best you can get for severe backlighting conditions... and looking at your pictures, unless you have really bright lights in the lobby, you'll have some pretty SEVERE backlighting.

I'd suggest the Panasonic WV-NW502 dome (or 504 box style) camera. They have Panasonic's usual superb WDR capability, at 1.3 Megapixel. (They can run up to 3MP, but only in MJPEG, and no WDR at that setting).

It's a CCD imager, also, so low light capability is pretty good.

I'd suggest the Panasonic WV-NW502 dome (or 504 box style) camera. They have Panasonic's usual superb WDR capability, at 1.3 Megapixel. (They can run up to 3MP, but only in MJPEG, and no WDR at that setting).

It's a CCD imager, also, so low light capability is pretty good.

That sounds good! What about Software? Is it included? As I said, it's mainly for recording evidence. Netvision doesn't support Panasonic IP cameras

@Soundy

I will also check this one out.

Any other suggestion?

Ok so the IP WDR cam cost 1000$ - I don't know if I would be able to get that from the Hotel. It's really pricey.

The analogue WDR Dome from Panasonic seems real nice, but the lenses! there are only two lens options: 2.2 mm fixed or 15 - 50 mm varifocal! This is really poor - maybe the 2.2 mm lens would work, but have to measure first.

Does anyone know a good lens calculator? Something where I could input these 2.2 mm and calculate the distance that the camera needs to the doors and the windows to get the right FOV?

Thanks

I'd go for the Sony DH-140. It might be the best WDR-camera out there.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-SNCDH140/

If you go for a cheaper model that doesn't do the job then the money spent would be wasted.

It has about the same price as the Panasonic IP WDR Dome. I could go for it and demand the money from the Hotel. I can say that it is the only camera that will do the job well, but I have to be sure!

Have you tested any IP WDR camera? Have you tested this specific model?

Ok so the IP WDR cam cost 1000$ - I don't know if I would be able to get that from the Hotel. It's really pricey.

The analogue WDR Dome from Panasonic seems real nice, but the lenses! there are only two lens options: 2.2 mm fixed or 15 - 50 mm varifocal! This is really poor - maybe the 2.2 mm lens would work, but have to measure first.

Does anyone know a good lens calculator? Something where I could input these 2.2 mm and calculate the distance that the camera needs to the doors and the windows to get the right FOV?

Thanks

Pretty sure that's wrong. All of my 484S domes came with a standard varifocal lens: PLZ 29/27, which is a 2.9-8mm. They can take a 2.2mm wide-angle, and a 15-50 also, but those are not the normal stock lens.

Here's a 484S I just pulled out of a cupboard in my garage about five minutes ago:

129490_1.jpg

Here is the stock lens... you can hopefully read the specs on the side:

129490_2.jpg

Here is a replacement lens, same specs:

129490_3.jpg

This is one of the 15-50mm lenses you mentioned above, installed on that camera:

129490_4.jpg

All of these lenses are 1/3" CS-mount, D/N, varifocal lenses, and all of them fit nicely on that camera. Panasonic must have a glitch on their website, or we're talking about a different camera.

BTW, those 484S's are some of the best analog cameras out there for severe backlighting.

I'd go for the Sony DH-140. It might be the best WDR-camera out there.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-SNCDH140/

If you go for a cheaper model that doesn't do the job then the money spent would be wasted.

It has about the same price as the Panasonic IP WDR Dome. I could go for it and demand the money from the Hotel. I can say that it is the only camera that will do the job well, but I have to be sure!

Have you tested any IP WDR camera? Have you tested this specific model?

I haven't tested it myself yet but I recently won a contract for a court where I will use this camera. I've only seen sample footage. I wouldn't use it at the court unless I know it will do the job.

There is also Avigilon, another great system. Their cameras together with their software is exceptional in dynamics. It's in the same price level as a Milestone setup with sony cameras. Avigilon has sample footage on their website so you can judge for yourself.

Thanks

Pretty sure that's wrong. All of my 484S domes came with a standard varifocal lens: PLZ 29/27, which is a 2.9-8mm. They can take a 2.2mm wide-angle, and a 15-50 also, but those are not the normal stock lens.

Agreed there, I've installed a dozen of these cameras, they all come with the 2.9-8mm.

From http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=100037&catGroupId=14474&surfModel=WV-CW484S&displayTab=F

"Lens: 2x variable focal lens" (2.9-8mm is actually 2.75x)

The marketing brochure actually lists it as a 3.8-8mm (ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/cctv/SpecSheets/WV-CW484_Series_10_06.pdf) which would be closer to 2x.

Anyway, all the material I could find on Panasonic's site lists a fairly standard varifocal lens as shipping with the camera...

There is also Avigilon, another great system. Their cameras together with their software is exceptional in dynamics. It's in the same price level as a Milestone setup with sony cameras. Avigilon has sample footage on their website so you can judge for yourself.

If they won't go for the $1000 price of the NP502, I doubt they'd be willing to shell out for Avigilon.

You may want to consider a Mobotix dome, like the D12 or D24. Mobotix has the ability to specify exposure zones in an image, meaning that you can have the camera meter just the areas you specify to give you the most accurate metering. With 3MP per lens (D12 has 2, D24 has 1), you can have a very high def vision of the lobby and with the D12, you can have each lens pointed to a different part of the lobby.

Frankly, I think this is all overallkill to have that high a resolution in a small lobby area, heck, VGA is all you really need. Also, more cameras at lower resolution/price will allow you get different angles of the same area and give you backup should one camera fail. So check out Axis latest domes, the M30 series. Their HD version (1 MP) is about $420, get 2 or 3 and you're set. Then get some inexpensive software to monitor and record the events. Or if you prefer a box style camera, their new M1114 is awsome, also HD, auto-iris, varifocal lens, under $500.

If they won't go for the $1000 price of the NP502, I doubt they'd be willing to shell out for Avigilon.
Probably not but was there a budget?

Now Milestone is an option even at low end setups. Milestone Essential was released the other day and I'm not sure what they're after but base license incl two cam licenses comes at ~1000 SEK (~130 usd) which leaves a little more for better cameras.

Probably not but was there a budget?

Now Milestone is an option even at low end setups. Milestone Essential was released the other day and I'm not sure what they're after but base license incl two cam licenses comes at ~1000 SEK (~130 usd) which leaves a little more for better cameras.

Interesting... Anybody know what they charge per-channel to add cameras to that license?

Interesting... Anybody know what they charge per-channel to add cameras to that license?
In Sweden they should cost about 500 SEK (~65usd) and you can add up to 26 cameras.

$49 per license dont know if they have a per server fee

Is that a new pricing scheme? For some reason I remember them being much more expensive than that.

Or am I having a "senior moment?"

It's $99 MSRP for the base license, which includes two channels, and then $49 per channel after that. It is limited to 26 channels, and five concurrent users connected for viewing.

And yes, the other versions are WAY more expensive. I think Exacq, and other NVR manufacturers, have taken a bite out of Milestone's business, and they want it back.

I've been a Milestone Certified Partner since 2007, and am looking forward to being able to sell a lot more Milestone now. I had been siding more towards Exacq recently, mostly due to the difficulty of selling Milestone at their previous pricing.

They still have their upper-end product line, I think this is more of a "loss-leader" for them, to try and gain some market share back.

Milestone is a very solid product with good support and probably the largest range of IP product support, the pricing has been the only major drawback.

The only significant drawbacks to Milestone (not necessarily bad, just the way they do it) is that cameras are individually licensed by their MAC addresses, so adding or changing cameras requires a visit to their licensing website to change the information, and get a keycode for the camera.

Also, Milestone requires dealers to provide them with end-user contact information for each purchase. They promise that all that information is just for their records, but it makes me nervous to provide MY customer's information to a vendor that could potentially divulge that information to a competitor.....

It's $99 MSRP for the base license, which includes two channels, and then $49 per channel after that. It is limited to 26 channels, and five concurrent users connected for viewing.

And yes, the other versions are WAY more expensive. I think Exacq, and other NVR manufacturers, have taken a bite out of Milestone's business, and they want it back.

I've been a Milestone Certified Partner since 2007, and am looking forward to being able to sell a lot more Milestone now. I had been siding more towards Exacq recently, mostly due to the difficulty of selling Milestone at their previous pricing.

They still have their upper-end product line, I think this is more of a "loss-leader" for them, to try and gain some market share back.

Milestone is a very solid product with good support and probably the largest range of IP product support, the pricing has been the only major drawback.

The only significant drawbacks to Milestone (not necessarily bad, just the way they do it) is that cameras are individually licensed by their MAC addresses, so adding or changing cameras requires a visit to their licensing website to change the information, and get a keycode for the camera.

Also, Milestone requires dealers to provide them with end-user contact information for each purchase. They promise that all that information is just for their records, but it makes me nervous to provide MY customer's information to a vendor that could potentially divulge that information to a competitor.....

That's actually very reasonable... they're almost down to Luxriot territory with that deal... and from a major VMS-solution provider too...

I guess competition is good. " title="Applause" />