Anthony A.

Convert Coax to ethernet

I want to install a front door IP camera for my house but unfortunately I wired it with 1 - RG-6 cable and 1 - 18/2 for power. I have seen mention on this forum that many have used the Veracity coax to ethernet adaptors with great results, unfortunately this won't work for me as the unit has a max outdoor temperature range of -10 degrees celsius (14 farenheit). In Canada, we get -30 degrees all the time and this unit would have to be installed outside. So what are my options to use an IP camera with the coax run? Baluns?

All my research has dried up and I don't want to use analog. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As long as the camera will work with 10BaseT Ethernet, (for example, Acti will work, but Arecont will usually not), you should be fine with the passive, balun type Ethernet converters, and those should work in a wider temperature range than the camera.

How long is the cable run?

I want to install a front door IP camera for my house but unfortunately I wired it with 1 - RG-6 cable and 1 - 18/2 for power. I have seen mention on this forum that many have used the Veracity coax to ethernet adaptors with great results, unfortunately this won't work for me as the unit has a max outdoor temperature range of -10 degrees celsius (14 farenheit). In Canada, we get -30 degrees all the time and this unit would have to be installed outside. So what are my options to use an IP camera with the coax run? Baluns?

All my research has dried up and I don't want to use analog. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you pull the RG6 back inside? Then you could just mount the HighWire indoors and run Cat5e from it to the camera.

Frankly, there are no moving parts or anything mechanical to the HighWires, there's no good reason they shouldn't operate just fine at -30. They generate quite a bit of heat on their own, in fact.

I think it was elsewhere on this board, someone noted that when a manufacturer lists a lower temperature limit for an all-electronic device, that number is based mainly on the fact that that's simply the lowest temperature they're capable of testing it at. Doesn't mean it won't survive lower, just means they don't have the facilities to test it at lower temps, and thus don't want to "guarantee" its operation.

the cable run is around 20', however it is impossible to run a cat 5e cable as it goes through a couple of concrete blocks, around a few corners, etc. i have tried fishing new wire by using the existing coax as a fish, but no dice. so i am left with only a few options and they will have to be exposed.

the mobotix mx2wire would do exactly what i need but its quite pricey and its size is a bit obtrusive seeing that it would have to be exposed on the porch ceiling.

if using a passive balun, can anyone make a brand and model recommendation (pelco?) as well as best camera brand that will do 10baseT?

Well have a look

I have been selling and using this product for last 6 month

about 2 or more times cheaper then highwire

My own tests have following results

on 525 feet network stress test I got 80-90 Mbps (supplier claim up to 300 meters and 100 mbps)

First pix small adapters (16 of them ready to be install) go on DVR or NVR end (each need 12 V)

second pix is adapter on camera end

sorry for pix quality

better will be avail soon

By the way I am in Canada

Clipboard01.jpg.af60fbdf4708220c6c251960ad1071f9.jpg

1741734700_photo33.jpg.20770e5cd3172fb468fbdd226b77a84f.jpg

By the way I am in Canada

Not just that, he's in Edmonton, where -30C is a balmy summer's day

I've been testing one of these as well, not any measurement tests or anything, but it's been preforming well on my bench.