stuspick

Can I add LED Illuminator to exisiting Dome camera?

I bought a Dome camera without LED's and now want to see if I can add LED's this to my camera. This is the illuminator:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31578

The camera is 12v and this Illuminator runs off 12v. Can I just splice the 12v power I have going into the camera to power this? or do I need a separate line to power it?

You can hook it up that way, but keep in mind that you'll probably get a "halo" effect as the IR reflects off the inside of the dome. Cameras that come with the IR usually have a black rubber or foam "gasket" that fits around the lens and snugs up against the dome to block that reflection.

You can hook it up that way, but keep in mind that you'll probably get a "halo" effect as the IR reflects off the inside of the dome. Cameras that come with the IR usually have a black rubber or foam "gasket" that fits around the lens and snugs up against the dome to block that reflection.

Ah true, makes sense. I'll give it try and see how it goes.

before you damage a good camera no it will not work. first does your camera turn B/w at night ??? then you are going to get bad picture quality in the day from feed back from your leds from the dome. as your leds will be on 24/7. then the range of your ir. the one posted is 5m ..... how high is your camera

before you damage a good camera no it will not work. first does your camera turn B/w at night ??? then you are going to get bad picture quality in the day from feed back from your leds from the dome. as your leds will be on 24/7. then the range of your ir. the one posted is 5m ..... how high is your camera

Yes my camera does go black and white at night. And my camera is 8-9 feet from the ground.

His LED Board has photo sensor

The bigger question is: will it fit?

Most dome cameras have very little wiggle room. Some manufacturers use the same chasis for both the models with IR and without... but there's still no garuntee an aftermarket IR board would fit. I would be inclined to just buy a cheap external illumintor. A lot less headaches that way... you know it would work.

Better to buy a separate IR illuminator... there are some inexpensive ones that should work.

Providing your power supply is enough to push both you could still tie the 2 of them together.

Better to buy a separate IR illuminator... there are some inexpensive ones that should work.

Providing your power supply is enough to push both you could still tie the 2 of them together.

+1