dipshwich

Make Your Own Housings >CHEAP<

actually I wasnt even discussing glass, I was just saying, Hmmm, glass

Just from Bryan talking about floated glass .. never knew glass was so interesting

Dipshwich, Even you asked what float glass was! They were not making fun of your housing. I thought it was cool but you seem to have removed the link.

Oh maaaan! I hope Dip doesn't take his ball and go home. I thought Dip's idea was the cat's pajamas and it really got me switched on!! - Of course, it's pretty poor netiquette to pull your posts.

Kasa is spot on that my idea on the float glass betrays my background in photography. That is *precisely* why I cringe at the idea of putting some low-quality plexi between my lens and subject. Plexi will certainly get the job done and I don't think it is a mistake to use it .. OTOH I also * love * the idea of finally being able to use higher-quality float glass in an exterior housing if I want to!

Plus, I ain't one of the "big guys" like some here in the forum. I don't do big-huge-fancy projects - I'm a little independant guy striving to tap a niche market with high quality, service, and delivery. Anything I can do to keep costs down for my clients *and* increase my margins at the same time is a win-win.

If I can make some housings *AND* use higher quality glass for *less money* than pre-made housings...

... man.. that's like the Six Million Dollar Man - I can build it better, faster, stronger...

Anyway... great idea. I hate that there was a miscommunication, and that Dip got his dander up and pulled his posts... now I'll have to go back and re-create the work on that - which adds to the initial time investment - which leads me to back burner the project until I've got some more time to devote to it. :sigh: Such is life...

I agree. This is (was?) one of the best threads I’ve seen on this forum. Very informative and inspirational. I’ve since been thinking about a variety of built-to-spec cameras from cheaper board cameras.

I’m really sorry about being part of the miscommunication…..but Rory started it!

blame it on the foriegnor why dont you!

anyway, yeah, how bout getting some wizkid dome housings, dome covers, they are not expensive, i think they will sell them like that. Then just put in your own day night board cameras .. I was thinking about that before .. their domes are incredibly indestructable .. and the covers are cheap even when they get scatched by trying to break them with a sledgehammer, malot, hammer, and a jeep cherokee ..!!

A distributor should be able to get them, or contact WizKid (extreme) direct ..

Or I can find out for you ..

Rory

For what it's worth, good on yer dipshwich for having a go at something that many would not.

Plexiglass, polycarbonate (and to a much lessor degree Acrylic) are all readily used as housing windows where impact resistance is a primary requirement. The down side is that although the material is optically acceptable for the job, it does tend to be far less scratch resistant than glass over a period of time; but then if it's cheap enough, you just throw it away and fit a new one.

Some years back, I had to build some very heavy duty camera housings using 6" sewer pipe, which were then submerged in thirty feet of water. As it was a temporary project, the cameras had to be permanently sealed into the housings (glue welded), and then cut out afterwards using a hand saw.

As dipshwich admirably demonstrated, if you are inclined, you can do quite a bit yourself and it needn't cost a fortune.