frosted

pc based vs dvr machines

right, im new to this so i will apoligise in advance if i make mistakes in refernce to slang info e.t.c.

i have a number of business crying out for cctv based security systems. i am currently trying to decide abotu using a dvr box or using something like the geovision card/software in a pc.

simply put what are the real advantages to the customer of using a pc based system for cctv security?

there seems to be a cost saving to the clients using a dvr box (again im really sorry about my terminology!!!!). however, remote viewing and remote camera control is also very usefull.

HELP!

frosted

PC based systems are typically packaged with more features and add-ons. An embedded (DVR box as you say) is what it is. Depending on what your customers needs and specifications are will determine which scenerio to use. I personalll like both types. The one thing to really watch out for is the cheap embedded and PC versions. If the price appears to good to be true, then it most likely is.

scottj

well let me give you some more information (and i prob should have done this first! )

5 cameras system for a body shop which has had cars trashed and vandalised.

24 recording

deterrant factor

now all the features and addons may well be nice. but im deciding which is best for the customer. it seams that the dvd box will save him money and reduce the costs of the install for him.

and reduce the time for support and potential problems. im figuring that unless remote viewing is a nessesity and the ability to remotely control cameras then the pc based system is overkill?

regards,

frosted

You listed a perfect example for an embedded system. Minimal features, less costs...More profit for you.

I agree with Scott. An embedded system will work best for you. First they are much more rugged and in a body shop atmosphere with tons of dust and dirt you would be better off with an embedded system. Also you don't need the ultra sophisticated features of a PC based system and the need for a keyboard and mouse. There are tons of threads here on various embedded systems so you might want to look at them for some ideas.

thankyou for the quick and excellent advice.

damn its what i thought. simple install. was hoping for a fun technical pc install as im a pc monkey by 1st trade

oh well have to wait for another exmaple. could not quite justify the extra cost for the client. plus as said more profit for me !

thank for the help,

another quickie

what setups have you done that did require a pc system. what are the main points you look for to decide between the 2 options.?

thankyou very much

frosted

One thing to point out....CCTV is a piss poor deterant. The only people who notice the cameras are people in the industry and then it's more of "who are they using?" kinda of notice.

PC systems are useful where the management wish to use the cameras as a management tool as well as a security device.

The flexibility of the extra features come into some use then.

management tool as in for watching your staff?

i can see the use for remote viewing of sites and the like would be usefull.

I have a strange view point on this, but I work in an office full of cameras. Some are just for internal viewing, some just external. It takes about a week to forget about them.

Well like they said, PC is when you want features, and you have to understand the possible maintenance and set up that will come with it.

Stand Alone is when you want plug, play, and forget. There are many stand alones, and the more you pay for one, normally the more featurers you will get in it. Though this has been going up and down lately with certain new stand alones breaking into the market.

PC Card Systems can be just as cheap as your cheapest stand alone with LAN. But you get just a less features with some of them.

Rory

I have to disagree. In many instances i've installed cctc systems where companies were having problems, and afterwards the nonsense came to an end. Usually after a few weeks i'll go back to a job to say hi, and find out 2-3 employees were fired. The vandalism comes to an end, the fingerpointing stops. After that they rarely have any more problems because the rest are on notice.

in a night club down here, they fired some 50 employees in the first 2 years, for skimming or stealing.

Is this trashing and vandalizing of vehicles happening 'inside' or 'outside' the body shop? I am assuming outside of course but it not mentioned.

I have to disagree. In many instances i've installed cctc systems where companies were having problems, and afterwards the nonsense came to an end. Usually after a few weeks i'll go back to a job to say hi, and find out 2-3 employees were fired. The vandalism comes to an end, the fingerpointing stops. After that they rarely have any more problems because the rest are on notice.

Thieves, for the most part, are stupid. When one gets caught via surveillance equipment, word will get out. I have even done repairs on spray painted cameras (domes) and the idiots missed one-the one that got them caught. If somebody wants something bad enough, they will take it. As far as employees, cameras in plain site will keep them honest, the trick is to do it in a covert manner, along with overt.

the trick is to do it in a covert manner, along with overt.

Exactly. If you’re really serious about catching someone “in the act.â€

the trick is to do it in a covert manner, along with overt.

Exactly. If you’re really serious about catching someone “in the act.â€

What I mean by staff management is not always theft.

Any easy to use system can be used to monitor & improve working practices e.g. keeping corridors clear of bedding etc in hotels, how staff dispose of rubbish.

I had a school recently where a roof repair company billed them for a whole weekend & they were only there 3 hours.

These kind of examples of money saving sell more systems.

here its mostly theft ..... or murder ..

We have had approx 1 stabbing a day from jan-april (reported that is). and quite a few of them were high school kids who died. 3 reported on the weekend gone alone. We get more stabbings here than gun shots here, hence the machete in my posts. I dont walk outside without it, if I remember.

so baywatch is it actually legal to have cameras recording or members of staff? (remember guys this is uk so prob will differ from us)

the cars damaged have been outside. however there has been 3k of stock gone missing in 3 months as well!

but his main concern is the external cameras .

as with any customer cost is an issue.

im planning to present a number of options to him when i quote. simple 5 cam plug and play.

a more extensive internal as well.

thankyou very much for all the info and comments. very good.

frosted

Im not in the UK so I cant say 100%, but I doubt there is any legal issues related to using CCTV to record the actions of staff, partcularly since it is a private business, and not a public area.

As for standalones available in your area, the other UK guys would be better at answering that. GE has some great stand alones, though they re-label them under NORBAIN in the UK at crazy prices as far as I can tell. If you can buy them as GE then it would be good. But stil the price will be too high for most clients such as retail stores or home users.

Dedicated Micros is a well known UK stand alone also, though from personal use of both the DM and the GE DVRs, it is not quite on par with the GE DVRs, but .. if you do get a good deal on the DM, it is still a great product, and considered a high end DVR. Baxall (i think that is it) also had some great products last time i checked, and they are also located in the UK.

If they are technical or have some IT staff, then give them the option of a PC based DVR, otherwise choose a stable stand alone that does lock up and isnt that expensive. On the US side, we have had some good reviews on the ActiveTek DVR, something you should be able to find over there, if you want the dead cheapest stand alones, AvTech is the brand you want, ive had good luck with them here. Check the DVR forum here for reviews on different stand alones.

Rory

thankyou for the reply mate. im thinkgin that the standalone box will be the best route to go in this case. seems like a lot of choice. why im looking for some helping "use this one" details

im waiting very eagerly for the uk guys to gimmie info as well

This seems to be a big seller over there for a low end DVR among a couple UK installers on this forum.

http://www.copsecurity.co.uk/sec/spec/spec.php?product=15-VP04-CDRW

Personally I wouldnt touch it without a test and checking the network software out. I dont know the brand myself, who makes it, if COP doesnt, but COP USA on this side of the world sells extremely "cheap" products.

Rory