JustinCase

Garage Camera Suggestion

I am looking for a camera to install in my garage so it will be generally low light conditions. The problem with my current camera is when I open the garage door on a sunny day the bright light washes out the image.

I am looking for a 'reasonably' priced camera where this effect is minimized.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm guessing your current camera doesn't have an auto-iris lens... that feature would go a long way toward handling the wide range of lighting. Check the CNB VBM-24VF.

A couple of follow up questions:

Why is there such a big price difference between this camera on a couple of sites? A company I've done business with before and been happy with (worldeyecam) has it at $201 but there are several sites that list it for $137 or $148.

What is your opinion of the SuperCircuits PC164CEX-2 with the 2-12mm Varifocal Iris Lens?

[edit by mod, store link removed]

A couple of follow up questions:

Why is there such a big price difference between this camera on a couple of sites? A company I've done business with before and been happy with (worldeyecam) has it at $201 but there are several sites that list it for $137 or $148.

Any number of reasons. Sometimes the higher price will include shipping while the lower one doesn't, and they work out to near the same. Often the cheaper price comes with little to no after-sale support.

What is your opinion of the SuperCircuits PC164CEX-2 with the 2-12mm Varifocal Iris Lens?

[edit by mod, store link removed]

Well, the one link I found by googling it, listed the camera at about $160, but that's WITHOUT lens... I don't know what price you found it at, since your link was removed.

Keep in mind that that camera is black-and-white ONLY; the CNB dome I mentioned is color, switching to B&W only when it gets dark. The CNB *is*, also, a vandal-resistant dome and will probably survive a lot better in or on a garage, especially if it's subject to temperature extremes; the camera you listed will require a separate enclosure if you want to use it outdoors.

I haven't owned my CNB dome very long at all but I sure do like it compared to the cheapies. I also noticed what you did about cost varying. All I will say is shop around and you should find it at a good price ie. around $150 give or take 10 dollars either way. For the money they seem like good cameras.

Soundy,

What is the difference in mounting between the VCM-24vf and the VBM-24vf. From the pictures I notice one seems to have a base ring.

Also any recommendation for a Vandal Proof Dome for outside, facing south, attached to a wall, placed about 12-15 feet up.

Thanks

Bryn

Soundy,

What is the difference in mounting between the VCM-24vf and the VBM-24vf. From the pictures I notice one seems to have a base ring.

The VBM is surface-mount only; the VCM has a back protrusion that can be countersunk in a surface for lower-profile flush mounting, as well as a back-box that can be used to surface mount it. There's also room inside the back-box for wiring and even some baluns, making it suitable when you have to pipe the wire into it through surface-mounted conduit.

Also any recommendation for a Vandal Proof Dome for outside, facing south, attached to a wall, placed about 12-15 feet up.

Either of the above.

Bryn