Jakesta42

Basics on CCTV camera?

How do CCTV cameras work?

I'm an amateur on cameras, but I want to get a setup in my neighbourhood. I'd like some wireless PTZ Network Camera that can go a long distance with a decent video streaming quality to my PC.

1. How do the cameras run? What is the power source?

2. Which one would be ideal to get?

3. What would I need to get the full setup running?

4. Once it is running, would I view the video stream via a web browser? Or software application?

How does it all work? I can't connect wires everywhere from the camera to the router, so how do they run? Where can I get one/them?

Please explain

-Jake

That's a pretty vague question... do you need a primer on semiconductor sensor-based imaging, or just specifics on CCTV implementations?

The term CCTV stands for Closed Circuit Television - briefly, where regular TV is broadcast over the air, CCTV uses a "closed circuit" single video feed between the source (camera) and destination (TV, monitor, recorder, etc.)

I'm an amateur on cameras, but I want to get a setup in my neighbourhood. I'd like some wireless PTZ Network Camera that can go a long distance with a decent video streaming quality to my PC.

That will not be cheap... expect cost to be in the upper-four-digit range, if not five digits.

Typically, CCTV cameras run on 12VDC or 24VAC. This is usually provided by a transformer/power supply of some kind. A few cameras (particularly older ones) have internal power supplies and plug into a standard wall outlet, but those are rare. Newer network cameras can also be powered using Power-over-Ethernet spec.

That depends on your needs. There are literally tens of thousands of options out there, between different types, qualities and styles of cameras, lenses, enclosures, etc.

It also depends on your budget, because for any given problem, the solutions run a very broad price range (keeping in mind the old adage, "you get what you pay for").

That too, depends on your exact needs. Do you need to record, or only view?

4. Once it is running, would I view the video stream via a web browser? Or software application?

Depends on the type of system used. Some cameras will let you view them directly via browser and/or client app. Some will require a network interface or DVR, and then you'd view that remotely via browser and/or client app.

How does it all work? I can't connect wires everywhere from the camera to the router, so how do they run? Where can I get one/them?

Please explain

I'd suggest doing a bunch more reading around the forum, get a better idea of the basics involved... then come back with some more specific questions.

-Jake

Please explain

I have helped with (2) of those projects with high-end analog PTZs, cameras.... The last one was three years ago. Cost was over $300K for 32 cameras, wires, NVT baluns, (4) symdecs, (8) bosch 20" lcd....

-Jake